Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:08 AM

Dear All,

I have been given a task to give awareness to managerial staff of two factories where top management is facing a number of problems relating to schedule-compliance, safety, maintenance, material mishandling...............and so on.......

I took this task as a project and planned to start it by giving awareness of quality and quality management. I want to pick "5S" the first topic (standardized housekeeping). I have an idea to correlate all existing problems with 5S.

I have read in a literature that 5S is the first step towards quality. I want to make this statement a central theme and want from all members to share their ideas what type of real shop-floor-problems they face and how they would think it can be correlated with 5S concept.

For example: One would say, we were continuously facing complaints of bad quality products from our customer . When we investigated the problem, the cause was mixing of good and bad quality parts at stage-ABC. We make a standard fool-proof system so that at station-ABC there would be no mixing of parts.

Above is a straightforward example in which you can easily coorelate customer complaints with 5S concept. I want some other real problems that members have faced or are facing in the real world.

Prior thanks for your time!

I also planned to share that presentation once it is completed. The first version will be in Urdu Language. Later I will translate it into English for the knowledge sharing with all members.

Regards:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

Hi Zeeshan, I will be happy to contribute some ideas and experience to this thread. I'm a little busy today, shopping, seeing some friends and it is bonfire night in the UK. I will revert tomorrow.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:30 AM

Hi Simon,

It's 11th of November. Remember!!! you are the only one who has committed to contribute.

Waiting for you ideas.

Regards:
Zeeshan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:34 AM

Hi Simon,

It's 11th of November. Remember!!! you are the only one who has committed to contribute.

Waiting for you ideas.

Regards:
Zeeshan

Yes I will attend to it today Zeeshan. It has been on my mind the last few days, but somewhere round the back. It is nearly at the front of my mind - just coming around the cerebral hemisphere and will be in position at the frontal lobe shortly. It is a very slow process these days. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:19 AM

Yes I will attend to it today Zeeshan. It has been on my mind the last few days, but somewhere round the back. It is nearly at the front of my mind - just coming around the cerebral hemisphere and will be in position at the frontal lobe shortly. It is a very slow process these days. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

I found no words for reply...........................................
:huh: :o :wacko: :crying: :crybaby: :w00t: :sofa_bricks:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

Hi Zeeshan,

I think 5S is an important starting point for any continuous improvement programme. It gets your plant physically clean, tidy and organized but importantly it is very simple and allows you to involve all operators, so quite quickly you can begin to get the discipline and the fundamentals of lean into operator’s minds. It’s a great platform to build on. As a tip I would not even mention the Japanese words – I would still use the process but use your own language.

I would also early on explain the Continuous Improvement process either as a briefing or in some more in depth training covering the basic concepts of Continuous Improvement and to give them an understanding of why, who, where, when, what. I am attaching a briefing I gave some years back for a newsletter as the company I worked for embarked on a Continuous Improvement drive.

World Class Service…Right First Time – Every Time!

There is a need for all businesses to have an active and effective process of Continuous Improvement in place if they are to survive and thrive. If we are to fulfil our goal of providing customers with a World Class Service…Right First Time – Every Time! - We must be actively working on improvements. And when I talk about providing customers with a World Class Service…Right First Time – Every Time! - This applies equally to our internal customers. If we cannot satisfy our internal customers we cannot ever hope to satisfy our external customers.

So what is Continuous Improvement?

Continuous Improvement quite simply means ‘change for the better’ and covers all processes in a company including engineering, IT, financial, technical, commercial and customer service processes, as well as manufacturing. Continuous Improvement involves making continual small improvements by way of changes to the uses of manpower, machinery, methods, materials and money to eliminate waste and improve business efficiency. What Continuous Improvement is not is making people work harder – that would be stupid…

So if Continuous Improvement is about ‘change for the better’ what sort of changes are we talking about?

It’s basically about the elimination of waste such as:

 defects – errors or flaws in the product causing rework or needing to be scrapped
 non standard work – different working methods for the same task
 transportation – moving materials or products about
 inventory – keeping too much or the wrong stock
motion – people moving or travelling excessively
 waiting times – allowing products to wait for processing
 overproduction / underproduction – making too much or too little
 over processing – doing too many processes during manufacture

 I would add another to the list which is the waste of talent, knowledge and experience of employees – if they are not involved in Continuous Improvement
How are we going to go about Continuous Improvement?

Improvements happen every day but in addition we will be working on a number of specifically identified projects which we will work through in a structured way:
1. Assemble the improvement team – good mix of knowledge, skills and authority for the project
2. Identify and describe the project in measurable terms e.g. Problem X is costing us £10,000 per month we aim to reduce this by 50% within 3 months
3.Find the root causes of the problem – there are usually many causes, but usually only a few will be significant
4.Test possible solutions – did they work?
5. Make solutions permanent e.g. develop procedures, change specifications, carry out training, ensure ongoing monitoring so that changes stay in place
6. Celebrate Success – share knowledge, publicise success, give recognition to the team
Going from Good to Great!

Company X is a good company, we have fantastic people and we do things very well. What we are talking about here is taking the company to the next level. To do this requires a clear vision and a huge commitment in terms of time, effort and sometimes money. The benefits are numerous and will bring about improvements in product quality, health and safety, reduction of waste, faster response times to customers, it will allows us to become more competitive by driving down costs and help us to retain/gain customers through innovative products and services.

Importantly to me it will allow us all to work together towards a common goal and I’m sure this participation over time will improve teamwork within the company. We are at the beginning of a long road. It will be difficult at times, but I believe we will be successful and we can have a lot of fun on the way. That’s the challenge; I hope you will join me in our quest.

Suggestion schemes are great but from experience this scatter gun approach is little more than an exercise for letting people get things off their chest. Improvement projects should be targeted based on business need e.g. reduce quality defects, customer service and then chosen by pareto principal. An improvement project should then be worked on using a recognised root cause problem solving approach such as DMAIC. One project at a time done effectively is the only way for me.

There is a saying ‘he who chases two rabbits catches none!’ – well not exactly as you always must have more than one project on the go but limit the number and do them properly and methodically for lasting results.

A few ides to get started on the discussion.

Regards,
Simon

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:39 AM

Thanks Simon for your valuable inputs.

I have recently surveyed the factory of concern and personally observed all situations there.

I found there are some other issues which I expect to face while giving awareness of 5S to the targeted personnel.

1- Production schedules are superfluous and number of skilled operators and workers are not so high. Operators and supervisors claimed openly that they got not enough time to comply the schedule even after performing overtimes and Sunday-working. How do they perform "additional" activities of 5S. (sorting and removing already accumulated waste). Management and Supervisor do not want to add human resources in order to compete manufacturing cost.

2- Space in factory was not well-planned. Now supervisor of a department (who is facing bottleneck in the whole supply-chain) is asking for more space to extend its production capacity. It seems from his claim that without giving them space, we cannot get much benefits from any improvement activity (or at least IMO we cannot involve all personnel and supervisors in such activities). On the other hand Top Management of that factory not seem to accept that claim and insist to search for alternate solutions for increasing production capacity.

Have some ideas how to counter above issues?

Many thanks and regards:
Zeeshan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

Zeeshan,

You have reached the classic point where the shop floor management are claiming they need more space, more equipment, more time etc. before they can do anything and senior management are saying you can improve all you need to with what you have got. It is a painful period.

I will give you my short answer. The shop floor can improve what they have got – no doubt. They may find that space is adequate if they are well organised (5S). How will you know how much space is really required until you go through the process. If I were a senior manager and a manager came to me and said we have been through the 5S process and made all of these improvements but to conclude with our plan we need to spend some money on storage and equipment etc. I would be open to supporting the process with some cash – no problem.

What the senior management can give is support in terms of providing the time necessary to undertake any improvement activities and where necessary hard cash. They can also give there visible and vocal support to the process. That’s leadership and senior management commitment.

It needs both parties to come to the table with a willingness and openness or you can forget it.

Regards,
Simon

antoni sola

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

Dear Zeeshan,
I suggest you to use the Deming cycle for the Top Managment training.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCA

Thanks Simon for your valuable inputs.

I have recently surveyed the factory of concern and personally observed all situations there.

I found there are some other issues which I expect to face while giving awareness of 5S to the targeted personnel.

1- Production schedules are superfluous and number of skilled operators and workers are not so high. Operators and supervisors claimed openly that they got not enough time to comply the schedule even after performing overtimes and Sunday-working. How do they perform "additional" activities of 5S. (sorting and removing already accumulated waste). Management and Supervisor do not want to add human resources in order to compete manufacturing cost.

2- Space in factory was not well-planned. Now supervisor of a department (who is facing bottleneck in the whole supply-chain) is asking for more space to extend its production capacity. It seems from his claim that without giving them space, we cannot get much benefits from any improvement activity (or at least IMO we cannot involve all personnel and supervisors in such activities). On the other hand Top Management of that factory not seem to accept that claim and insist to search for alternate solutions for increasing production capacity.

Have some ideas how to counter above issues?

Many thanks and regards:
Zeeshan

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:43 AM

Dear Simon and Antoni,

Thanks for your replies.

Simon, 100% agreed with your ideas. I will try to set the direction of improvement project w.r.t these guidelines.

Slightly off topic, I read an interesting article today "Initiating lean with 5S" ( http://www.leanblog....an-with-5s.html ). Please read and let me know your opinion about this thinking????. What should be the first activity to perform then???? :dunno:

Regards:
Zeeshan

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:52 AM

I have an example may be used in your presentation about '5S'

Want to know about 5S