• Quick Navigation
Photo

Yoghurt Risk Assessment (ISO 22000, 7.3 - 7.4.4)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

:wtg:

Shall I kick off Raw Materials specifications with SMP specification from Canada:

Attached File  SkimMilkPowder_spec1.pdf   50.65KB   266 downloads

Maybe Simon could help with packaging?

Thanked by 1 Member:

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

Dear Yoghurt heroes,

I would like to contirbute with some theory.

Attached File  Milk1-c3.pdf   4.01MB   337 downloads

Attached File  Yoghurt1-c3.pdf   923.47KB   256 downloads

I haven't read those chapters yet, will do it later :whistle: but I think there is some useful stuff for this project

p.s. What's gonna be a name of this yoghurt?
"Smon's special"
"Tony's Yogu"
"Bio Smiley"
"Charles morning"
:giggle:

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

Thanked by 4 Members:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,830 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

Maybe Simon could help with packaging?

What do you want me to do boss? :smile:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:49 AM

What do you want me to do boss? :smile:

Boss! :uhm: :cool:

:helpplease: Would you be able to come up with a specification for a printed 40 micron Aluminium foil lid with sealing lacquers?

And by any chance something like a 450g/500g capacity Printed PET Pot? :whistle:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,830 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:54 AM

If it's a 71.5 pot you will get away with 30 micron. You can have polyester if you want metal detection but that will be 55 micron.

Are you sure you want foil to seal to PET pot at 40 micron?

Maybe someone else can help with the pot spec.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,830 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:10 AM

How's this boss?

Attached File  Example Specification for a Yoghurt Lid.doc   79.5KB   317 downloads

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:47 PM

How's this boss?

Attached File  Example Specification for a Yoghurt Lid.doc   79.5KB   317 downloads

Very good, take Saturday & Sunday off as a reward :beer:

Will give you Monday off as well for a Pot specification. :x_smile:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

And I get Saturday & Sunday off as well:

Attached File  Drywheyspec.pdf   51.09KB   246 downloads :x_biggrin:

Thanked by 2 Members:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:47 PM

I'll post an example spec / flow diagram when i get a chance.

Caz x

As promised!

c xx

Attached File  HACCP Yoghurt Flow Chart.xls   58.5KB   337 downloads

Edited by Simon, 31 December 2010 - 12:03 PM.
Removed full completed HACCP and replaced with just the flow chart

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

Dear Caz / TonyC,

Season’s greetings ! :band:

@ Caz - Not sure if you haven’t pre-empted Tony a little but I’m sure he won’t mind. :smile:

Not a user of the Tree myself but I thought yr (traditional) hazard analysis / CCP presentation is very elegant indeed. :thumbup:

Dare I make a few technical comments ? :sofa1:

(a) The emphasis on Severity rather than Likelihood of Occurrence in the risk assessment seems a little unusual IMEX but undoubtedly a valid viewpoint.
(b) I deduce you are not too enthusiastic regarding the Codex phraseology for definition of Risk. Purely subjective of course.
© As mentioned above, I am not a routine user of the Tree so a few items puzzled me slightly -
(i) 1(A-D)/Q2 = N, is this to be interpreted as disbelief in the ability of supplier to deliver as per the (presumably perfect pathogen-wise) Purchase Specifications ?
(ii) 1C/Q3 = N, Why not “Y” or is the “chemical contamination” only relevant to antibiotics (safety-wise), which later controlled at 2C?
(iii) 2(B)/Q2/Q4, is it necessary to reject the tanker since a subsequent step seems to eliminate the hazard ?

(d) A Step number “13” in the flow chart seems to have disappeared (the number that is) in my copy. Subsequent text still perfectly understandable though fractionally displaced compared to flow chart.

(e) I appreciate that “allergen” cannot be “managed out” of the product. I assume the packaging is received fully printed including allergen advice as referred in yr plan. Is any potential mis-labelling hazard controlled by a prerequisite step or ??

(f) I like the unusually honest risk assessment of the metal detector CCP. :smile:

Will be equally interesting to see how the hazard analysis will be re-interpreted as per ISO 22000, ie adding the prps / oprps / (more, or less, ccps).

Happy New Year

Rgds / Charles.C

PS – for the benefit of giving some comparative background to other readers I hv done a little searching on the net regarding product standards, and (vaguely) relevant specification examples. Extracts are attached below.

1st batch (2 attach.) are product standards
2nd batch (15 attach.) are various (extracts) from specification related sheets which looked interesting. I hope the abbreviated titles are self-explanative. If not I can add a key later.
Sadly, didn’t see much of interest for packaging specs, not enough hazards I guess. :smile:

Have to admit most of the above can’t compete with Tony’s beautiful data sheets but hopefully of some use, perhaps there are some more nice tailor-made items in Tony’s cupboard waiting to emerge into the sun / snow (I noticed the whey spec was “pg 7”) ;) ?

Attached File  A05 Codex std fermented milks - CXS_243e.pdf   55.91KB   177 downloads
Attached File  A06 usda specs for yoghurt.pdf   18.95KB   201 downloads

Attached File  A07 yoghurt micro spec DMHrb.png   30.86KB   47 downloads
Attached File  A08 yoghurt country comp.standards YSTtmrb.png   42.65KB   48 downloads
Attached File  A09 spray dried milk powder spec ch-mi YSTtmrb.png   42.27KB   40 downloads
Attached File  A10 milk for yoghurt spec,ph-ch-mi YST tmrb.png   18.13KB   29 downloads
Attached File  A11 flavours for yoghurt spec, mi YSTtmrb.png   19.04KB   30 downloads
Attached File  A12 starter culture for yoghurt, acty spec YSTtmrb.png   23.6KB   35 downloads
Attached File  A13 starter for yoghurt, absence contam, TSY tmrb.png   25.32KB   31 downloads
Attached File  A14 yoghurt retail, sugg.mic.std, star.cul.level, YSTtmrb.png   32.43KB   29 downloads
Attached File  A15 typ.chem.comp.dairy ingred.yog.mix, YFMch.png   29.38KB   26 downloads
Attached File  A16 USA milk std, (ext.) ph-ch-mic,YFMch.png   26.84KB   27 downloads
Attached File  A17 yoghurt nutrition panel example, ch. YFMch.png   49.16KB   28 downloads
Attached File  A18 US raw milk spec (ext) YFMch.png   61.63KB   24 downloads
Attached File  A19 yoghurt, typ.spec.blueberry YFMch.png   69.85KB   29 downloads
Attached File  A20 yoghurt, UK nutrition data typ.var.YTDPe.png   144.48KB   38 downloads
Attached File  A21 yoghurt, typ.haccp prod.spec.sheet (consumer missing) , Yho.png   36.75KB   36 downloads

PPS @ Inesa, I missed yr attachments previously, useful stuff, thks

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,830 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

I think we've jumped the gun a wee bit on this one. Fabulous documents posted, however this is supposed to be a working model and to that end the aim is to gather contributions at each stage rather than preempting with completed HACCP plan.

It's the first time something like this has been attempted here and it is not easy / may not be possible, but I see the value is in the process of developing the HACCP plan with contributions and discussion from members rather than something that has been written before or available on the internet.

I've removed the (superb) completed HACCP plan Caz posted and reuploaded it with where we were up to.

Please continue.

Thanks,
Simon

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:43 AM

If it's a 71.5 pot you will get away with 30 micron. You can have polyester if you want metal detection but that will be 55 micron.
Are you sure you want foil to seal to PET pot at 40 micron?
Maybe someone else can help with the pot spec.

No I'm not sure. I didn't see metal detection in the process flow diagram but maybe we will come to that later. :boomerang:

Regards,

Tony

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:44 AM

Please feel free to add to this:

7.3.4 Intended Use
For direct consumption
Expected handling of the end product, reasonably expected mishandling and misuse of the end product:
< 5C for 4 days in supply chain, shopping abuse (mimicked by 4 hours at 20 C) and refrigerated < 8 C for rest of shelf life. These perameters are to be replicated in shelf life testing.
Vulnerable groups - Eldery and Children

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

There are plenty of different type pots / closures available.

Maybe it could be a PET, rPet,PS or maybe even a card pot

The closure could be a foil (metallic) or PET, rPet or film with an overcap.

Depending on what you'd use would influence whether you used metal detection.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

There are plenty of different type pots / closures available.

Maybe it could be a PET, rPet,PS or maybe even a card pot

The closure could be a foil (metallic) or PET, rPet or film with an overcap.

Depending on what you'd use would influence whether you used metal detection.

Happy to accept suggestions & specifications for the packaging from members. Pick what you would prefer and provide a specification template.

BTY I chose foil as I prefer foil lids for luxury products. I guess it may generate some debate when we come to the hazard analysis.

Regards,

Tony

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,830 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

I already gave a specification for the lidding, what else do you want a container and what else?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:33 AM

Dear Tony,

BTY I chose foil as I prefer foil lids for luxury products. I guess it may generate some debate when we come to the hazard analysis.

Sorry for side-track but what does "BTY" mean ?

(None of Google's suggestions seemed to really make sense albeit quite inspiring, eg Blessings to You :smile: )

Rgds / Charles.C

Added - I hv deduced from the following posts that BTY = Back to You. Sounds like American car slang :whistle: . Added to main list.
Added (2) - But also see TonyC's next (+1) post for clarification.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

Ok, lets say Foil Lid, PS pot.

C x

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:01 AM

I already gave a specification for the lidding, what else do you want a container and what else?

For the primary packaging we need a pot specification. For the secondry packaging a cardboard tray specification would be good also if anyone has one specification for spray coding ink would be interesting.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:02 AM

Dear Tony,

Sorry for side-track but what does "BTY" mean ?

(None of Google's suggestions seemed to really make sense albeit quite inspiring, eg Blessings to You :smile: )

Rgds / Charles.C

Added - I hv deduced from the following posts that BTY = Back to You. Sounds like American car slang :whistle: . Added to main list.

:oops: Sorry that is a typo it should have read BTW ! - By the way

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:59 AM

Attached File  Yoghurt Process Flow Diagram Part 1 Numbered.pdf   136.15KB   239 downloads

So the next step is 7.3.5.2 Description of process steps and control measures:
Describe existing control measures, process parameters and/or procedures that may influence food safety (Including rigourousness)
External requirements from regulatory authorities

Feel free to contribute.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ahmed Mahmoud

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

Milk for yoghurt should be free of anti-biotic residue, because of beta-lactam anti-biotitic inhibited the fermentation process

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

Milk for yoghurt should be free of anti-biotic residue, because of beta-lactam anti-biotitic inhibited the fermentation process

Thank you Ahmed. This is true and inhibition of the culture organism may affect product safety as well as product quality.

So our control measures will be:

Farm Assurance and acceptance criteria for level of antibiotic in our raw materials including raw milk
pH monitoring during the fermentation process and a "Slow Vat" procedure

Regards,

Tony

Jomy Abraham

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 40 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

May be useful

Thank you Ahmed. This is true and inhibition of the culture organism may affect product safety as well as product quality.

Farm Assurance and acceptance criteria for level of antibiotic in our raw materials including raw milk

Regards,

Tony

Jomy Abraham

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 40 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

Regards,

Tony

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users