14 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Newsgirl

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 11,939 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Scouring the WWW for interesting Food Safety & Quality News. Becoming #1 poster on the forums. Being a robot.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Sunland, Inc. today announced a voluntary recall of its Almond Butter and Peanut Butter, which it has now expanded to include its Cashew Butter, Tahini and Roasted Blanched Peanut Products. This recall is limited to products manufactured between May 1, 2012 and September 24, 2012.

http://www.fda.gov/S...s/ucm320818.htm

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Sunland, Inc. today announced a voluntary recall of its Almond Butter and Peanut Butter, which it has now expanded to include its Cashew Butter, Tahini and Roasted Blanched Peanut Products. This recall is limited to products manufactured between May 1, 2012 and September 24, 2012.

http://www.fda.gov/S...s/ucm320818.htm

The CB that passed the Sunland Inc. for SQF level 3 is gonna take a beating. Last week Sunland’s cert was up on SQFI… but as of this morning: SQFI revoked it.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Very interesting Baron. Whether the CB or customer get a beating does depend on what systems, procedures and records they have in place and what was audited etc. Even the best food safety management system makes mistakes and this is a voluntary recall, which is an important point to note. If a recall is truly voluntary it demonstrates that they picked it up (albeit late) and have not tried to sweep it under the carpet. Sometimes a company who does this is actually better than the unknown thousands who do sweep it under the carpet.

I don't know the full facts - just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

Simon -
In the US, the regulatory agency that covers peanut butter processing is the FDA. That agency has no power to require a recall; therefore, all product recalls under FDA jurisdiction are 'voluntary'. Based on what I have read to date, it appears that the company may have been aware of possible contamination, but did nothing until issues hit the media. Just this morning, an article came out that indicating that FDA had serious problems with the company in 2009 & 2010.
Based on the huge peanut butter recall just a couple years ago for salmonella, I have the jaundiced view that this company probably turned a blind eye...

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the extra information KTD, sorry for the late reply. There are that many posts on here these day's I struggle to keep up...not that I'm complaining. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

gcse-fhp

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 142 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Keep in mind that this company was certified to SQF Level 3. It is "no longer certified" now of course: http://www.sqfi.com/...tion-withdrawn/

Some are timid and rob the world of the contributions they can otherwise make.
GCSE-Food & Health Protection
http://www.afisservices.com/gcse-fhp/index.html

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,611 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Vvery interesting. I wondered off-hand who was the Auditing group. Hmmmm, SQF.

-Setanta         

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

Simon -
In the US, the regulatory agency that covers peanut butter processing is the FDA. That agency has no power to require a recall; therefore, all product recalls under FDA jurisdiction are 'voluntary'. Based on what I have read to date, it appears that the company may have been aware of possible contamination, but did nothing until issues hit the media. Just this morning, an article came out that indicating that FDA had serious problems with the company in 2009 & 2010.
Based on the huge peanut butter recall just a couple years ago for salmonella, I have the jaundiced view that this company probably turned a blind eye...

Actually based on FSMA passed in Jan 2011 the FDA does have the power to request a recall however, they prefer to "strongly suggest" first and have not used the power to date. I beleive they "strongly suggested" to Sunland based on findings in the field. Not sure if it would have happened otherwise because recent statements from Sunland seem to indicate they did not know they had a problem until it was brought to them.

Currently the FDA is saying Sunland knew they had contaminated product that they distributed and Sunland is saying they didn't know. Either way, all early indications are that Sunland will "disappear" over the next couple of months.

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

The CB that passed the Sunland Inc. for SQF level 3 is gonna take a beating. Last week Sunland’s cert was up on SQFI… but as of this morning: SQFI revoked it.

If it turns out to be like PCA a couple of years ago, the CB might not have been given legitimate information about systems and processes. It still seems like there were enough holes to raise some eyebrows but an audit depends on some level of honesty from the auditee.

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Whether the CB or customer get a beating does depend on what systems, procedures and records they have in place and what was audited etc. Even the best food safety management system makes mistakes and this is a voluntary recall, which is an important point to note. If a recall is truly voluntary it demonstrates that they picked it up (albeit late) and have not tried to sweep it under the carpet. Sometimes a company who does this is actually better than the unknown thousands who do sweep it under the carpet.

I understand Simon, I'll chip in 3 more cents: FDA found problems at Sunland before, two inspections at the plant in 2009 and 2010 found ‘objectionable conditions’… However, whenever I have ever been audited, the 3rd party auditor ALWAYS asked about previous audits and findings. Albeit that FDA had not released details on what the objectionable conditions were…

Also, the lots were HUGE! (Best-If-Used-By Dates between May 1, 2013 and September 24, 2013).
SQF level 3 with a 90 percent score? IMO the real concern:

1) Are 3rd party auditors rigorous enough to find wholes in a food processors food safety systems?

Not to get anybody in the food industry paranoid (food, in general, seem to be out ta get ya), but bottom line, no matter how good ones food safety/quality management system, ones food safety system can be always undercut by ones supplier (hence emphasis on Supplier Approval and Lot Control/Tracking systems). This does not bode well for any trust that can be had in the GFSI benchmarks and managing ones Supplier Approval system:

2) Do we have to go back to visiting our own suppliers again to validate them? (adding more cost to the supply chain)

No wonder FDA has issues with 3rd Party audits... now that this is done-and-over-with from last year:

3) anybody able to comment further about this Sunland recall? (I'd like to know why the lots were so large)

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

If it turns out to be like PCA a couple of years ago, the CB might not have been given legitimate information about systems and processes. It still seems like there were enough holes to raise some eyebrows but an audit depends on some level of honesty from the auditee.

True, True. Not the M.O. of a 3rd party auditor. IF that was the case....

Edited by baron, 01 May 2013 - 06:46 PM.

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:42 AM

3) anybody able to comment further about this Sunland recall? (I'd like to know why the lots were so large)

Anybody...? annybody?.... Bueller?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

Anybody...? annybody?.... Bueller?

Bueller - did he eat peanut butter as well ? :whistle:

I haven't been following this thread so apologies if my query should be self-evident but I find yr question is confusing ?

HUGE, large = many units, or HUGE, large = wide time span ? or ?

and why would either be so fascinatingly significant ? something to do with 90 pct I presume ? (don't use SQF)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Bueller - did he eat peanut butter as well ? :whistle:

I haven't been following this thread so apologies if my query should be self-evident but I find yr question is confusing ?

HUGE, large = many units, or HUGE, large = wide time span ? or ?

and why would either be so fascinatingly significant ? something to do with 90 pct I presume ? (don't use SQF)

Rgds / Charles.C

HUGE....production from May until September 2012!

Caz x

gcse-fhp

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 142 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Rgds / Charles.C

Codes can be confusing at times (no pun intended). Do you mind explaining this further? - "something to do with 90 pct I presume ? (don't use SQF)"

Thanks,
gcse-fhp

Edited by gcse-fhp, 03 May 2013 - 09:30 AM.

Some are timid and rob the world of the contributions they can otherwise make.
GCSE-Food & Health Protection
http://www.afisservices.com/gcse-fhp/index.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users