• Quick Navigation
Photo

Frozen Fruit Pops - HACCP - where to start?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

PedalPops

Grade - Active

• 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:47 AM

Hey everyone,

A bit about what I do... I live in the US and started making artisan popsicles about 4 years ago and I am now in the approval process for a massively large international company if you catch my drift.  We make all-natural frozen fruit pops and have developed a great following in my area.  But... it's currently still just me at the helm with part-timers helping out.  Growth, it's an amazing thing when it happens and a bit overwhelming at the same time.

So... I am near the final stages of approval but an immediate level 3rd party audit of our HACCP plan is required before I can go further in the process.  To date, we do not have food safety program in place however we have a SOP in place to ensure all equipment, work surfaces, etc are cleaned and sanitized.  With little background in this area, I find myself overwhelmed with the project and I really have no idea where to start this process.

I've looked around online and cannot find sample HACCP documents.  I thought there were documents here but can't seem to locate them.  I've considered using software to make the process easier since we can track and research data.  Paper plans are fine but I'm afraid that my organizational skill may make me lose the respective documents.

We know the 3rd party company that will be used, but the information provided is specific on what the audit will need, but not how it should be written.  Can any of you provide a sample HACCP plan or point me in the right direction?  If anyone has used software and would suggest it, I'd appreciate the help.

Thank you for your help in advance.  If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll make sure to provide an updated response.

Mike

Sim Fallible

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

Hello PedalPops, welcome.

Well it sounds great getting things going for you, but I can appreciate the daunting task of what to do, when you have no previous knowledge and experience, and HACCP is by no means obvious in every way, but once you get the hang of it, its actually not to bad.

My initial thoughts based on what I am gathering is that I don't think software will be required, you are a small upcoming business with what I suspect is a not too difficult product and process (have never worked with these kind of products before, so not fully qualified to comment).

What you really need to do is just put a list of the stages together of the process in sequence. Walk the process look at what happens and note it, so start at intake - goods in, what happens, what is needed eg, ambient product intake - storage, then decanting - remove outer packaging and into blending. Blending - mix ingredients together according to recipe, is there temperature control, what could affect the product - chemicals, micro, then next stage say filling, then boxing etc.

I know that is very simple but it can be. I haven't got my hands on a full HACCP which is applicable but take a look here for a starting point it may help www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/guidehaccpplan.pdf and when I get myself more together (need coffee!!) I will try and find a bit more.

As for organisational well all the HACCP can be done and held on a PC, Word and Excel very easily, but as you are a start up I suggest you will need to get your organisation together as there will be a whole load of stuff to be doing and keeping on top of, don't let that put you off as it will come and develop in time, but best to be up front and know it now.

Sim Fallible

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

Oh, quick one and I know this is UK based,I forgot to add in, but take a look at:

https://myhaccp.food.gov.uk/

https://www.food.gov.../caterers/haccp

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hi PedalPops,

Thank you for yr query and Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

You omitted to mention which particular FS Standard you are considering.

I deduce you have some knowledge of GMP but none of HACCP. IMO it all depends on what yr current technical background is, or that of yr technical backup.

If limited/none with respect to haccp, you are surely going to need to access some haccp Training resources and/or a consultant. IT haccp related material may be helpful but depending as noted.

I've looked around online and cannot find sample HACCP documents.

It depends what type of documents you are referring to ?

There are dozens of product-specific haccp plans on this forum (eg search "haccp plan") although, from memory, none for popsicles. There are several haccp manuals, a few for specific FS standards.

Can you clarify what you are seeking ?

Diffficult to advise much further without some more info.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

HACCP plans are generally tailored to an individual company and take into account a number of factors. The basis for a HACCP plan is your GMP program as these practices will be used in order to justify that your food safety management system is adequate to control common food safety hazards (approved supplier policy, shipping and receiving procedures, sanitation, etc.). Generally HACCP has 7 principles with 5 preliminary tasks. SQF, the Global Food Safety Initiative scheme I'm most familiar with, combines these into a 12 step plan: 

TWELVE FOOD SAFETY PLAN (HACCP) PRINCIPLES

1. Establish a HACCP Team

2. Describe the Product

3. Identify the Products Intended Use

4. Create Process Flow Diagrams

5. Confirm Process Flow Diagrams

6. Conduct a Hazard Analysis

7. Determine the Critical Control Points (CCP’s)

8. Establish Critical Limits

9. Establish Monitoring Procedures

10. Establish Corrective Actions

11. Establish Verification Procedures

12. Establish Record Keeping and Documentation Procedures

There's no set format re. how to actually document the above steps, but AIB has some sample templates that can give you some ideas:

https://www.aibonlin...\haccpDocs.html

I agree with Charles C. that it'd definitely be a good idea to either get some HACCP training or retaining a consultant to help you along with your HACCP plan process. And also keep in mind that the FDA's Food Safety Modernization Act regulations are set to become law in the near future for companies over a set minimum size and fruit juices are generally considered to be on the higher end of the risk scale in the eyes of FDA.

Good Luck,

esquef

Thanked by 1 Member:

Practical

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:13 PM

HAACP plans and the newer HARPC plans are not difficult but do take time to do right. I have attached a sample from the National Seafood HAACP Alliance that can be found on-line as an example of basic format. The real trick is knowing all your ingredients and what the likely hazards are and then looking at each step in your process and seeing which hazards apply. Then set you CCP and limits.

Training for you and your staff will be essential so effective plans include training materials/components. Operators can do it on their own but it will take considerable time, and time is money.  That is why we make a pretty good living as consultants, putting the pans and training together for small processors.

Good luck,

Paul Homeniuk

Attached Files

CupONoodles3647

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:37 AM

The SQF Website ( http://www.sqfi.com/documents/ ) has implementation guides that you can download in PDF as well as assistance for HACCP plans.     They go step by step through the SQF requirements and let you know what they mean and what they want for each step.   I know you were only asking for HACCP but this will not only help you with that but and also give you a great look at how food safety is done and see where can eventually go with it.  These were a huge help for me to setting up our program and understanding what is going on with food safety.  That coupled with the amazing people in this forum and their advice you should be able to get a great program going!

PedalPops

Grade - Active

• 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:17 AM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.  I'll definitely take a look at the suggested materials and see what progress I can make with my limited knowledge... :)  Things should get interested along the way since we are also looking into alcohol pops as well - this can be an interesting process since there's likely a larger can of worms to open... 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users