Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks

• Costa Rica
    Costa Rica

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:51 PM

Hello!

I work in a meat proccessing plant, we produce cured sausages that are cooked and then vacuum packaged. In the last couple of months we have been receiving some complaints about spoilage product showing greenish discouloration. The green spots first begins at the surface of the sausage and then covers all the product including the inside part. No off-odors or off-flavors.

The thing is that we have not found what is causing this problem. So far we have tryed culture the product in the laboratory to find a high lactic acid bacteria count, but nothing seems to grow (using MRS agar, incubation temperature 30 ° C (86 F) for 3-5days).

We're in a dead end :crying: ...... have anyone had any experince with this kind of spoilage and how to deal with it? Should we tryed to culture under other conditions? How about chemical spoilage (not microbiological)?

I really appreciate any help

:helpplease: 

#2 Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 11,648 posts
  • 2917 thanks

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:48 AM

Hello!

I work in a meat proccessing plant, we produce cured sausages that are cooked and then vacuum packaged. In the last couple of months we have been receiving some complaints about spoilage product showing greenish discouloration. The green spots first begins at the surface of the sausage and then covers all the product including the inside part. No off-odors or off-flavors.

The thing is that we have not found what is causing this problem. So far we have tryed culture the product in the laboratory to find a high lactic acid bacteria count, but nothing seems to grow (using MRS agar, incubation temperature 30 ° C (86 F) for 3-5days).

We're in a dead end :crying: ...... have anyone had any experince with this kind of spoilage and how to deal with it? Should we tryed to culture under other conditions? How about chemical spoilage (not microbiological)?

I really appreciate any help

:helpplease:

Hi Heffer,

Not my direct area of expertise but, as i daresay you know already, there are various hits in Google offering  explanations for such a phenomenon, eg

Attached File  green spotted meat.pdf   91.73KB   9 downloads

Attached File  green spotted sausages.pdf   73.2KB   13 downloads

I deduce that yr QA people were willing to taste the green material. Beyond the call of duty IMO. :smile:

PS - not sure about "sausage" but IIRC yr query has previously appeared several times here with respect to "meat". Maybe try a search for "green".

#3 Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 11,648 posts
  • 2917 thanks

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:12 AM

addendum

I tried searching for "green meat". Yielded -

http://www.ifsqn.com...-meat-greening/

http://www.ifsqn.com...red-dried-meat/

http://www.ifsqn.com...ing/#entry24212

and this (very old) one in error (via "meat”) but which offers quite good weekend reading (one or two in questionable taste) –

http://www.ifsqn.com...1-some-classic-tommy-cooper/

Thanked by 1 Member:
FurFarmandFork

#4 Rener De Jesus

Rener De Jesus

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks

• Saudi Arabia
    Saudi Arabia

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:49 AM

If no bacteria are isolated, greening might be caused by H2O2 or H2S. It generally appears after an anaerobically stored product is exposed to air. There was a chemical reaction happened.

#5 Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 11,648 posts
  • 2917 thanks

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:56 AM

If no bacteria are isolated, greening might be caused by H2O2 or H2S. It generally appears after an anaerobically stored product is exposed to air. There was a chemical reaction happened.

As per the previous attachments.

#6 ronvalerio22

ronvalerio22

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:05 PM

Posibly Pseudomonas fluorescens bacteria

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thanked by 1 Member:
Charles.C

#7 Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 11,648 posts
  • 2917 thanks

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:27 AM

Posibly Pseudomonas fluorescens bacteria

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yes, possible -

Attached File  Spoiled meat Microbes.pdf   1.1MB   3 downloads

Attached File  green meat.png   155.36KB   1 downloads

Unfortunately reported experiences between observing green colour of vac-pack meat and detecting spoilage-type taste/smell seem to vary, ie (+)/(-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spoilage, microbiology, sausage, RTE food

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users