• Quick Navigation
Photo
- - - - -

How to calculate "serving size' under FDA?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dwei

Dwei

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

Hi,

i have checked US new regulation for calculating serving size but it is really complicated to me. does any body could help me how could i calculate a serving size and serving per container for following item as example.

- 14 brownies in a tub ( each brownie 15 g ) . is it 3 pieces (45g) correct as serving size, if yes what would be the serving per container ?

i would appreciate your help.

#2 kgonzalez

kgonzalez

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

§101.9   Nutrition labeling of food.

(b)(8)(i) "The number of servings shall be rounded to the nearest whole number except for the number of servings between 2 and 5 servings and random weight products. The number of servings between 2 and 5 servings shall be rounded to the nearest 0.5 serving. Rounding should be indicated by the use of the term about (e.g., about 2 servings, about 3.5 servings)."

Thanked by 1 Member:

#3 kgonzalez

kgonzalez

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

Ah, and in response to serving size, yes - your closest approximation of the 40g RACC for brownies would be 3 15g pieces.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#4 Dwei

Dwei

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

thank you for your information, i would appreciate if you tell me how would be the serving per container?

for example : I calculate serving size : 3 pieces ( 45gr) but I have 14 brownies in a tub(container), how would be the calculation for serving per container?

#5 Dwei

Dwei

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

Ah, and in response to serving size, yes - your closest approximation of the 40g RACC for brownies would be 3 15g pieces.

thank you for your information, i would appreciate if you tell me how would be the serving per container?

for example : I calculate serving size : 3 pieces ( 45gr) but I have 14 brownies in a tub(container), how would be the calculation for serving per container?

#6 FurFarmandFork

FurFarmandFork

QA Manager/FS Blogger

• IFSQN Senior
  • 447 posts
  • 226 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

It is complicated. I have a walkthrough example in a blog post here: http://furfarmandfor...y-of-a-serving/

For discussions related to food safety, production, and agriculture. Check out my blog at http://furfarmandfork.com/.

#7 kurtc

kurtc

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

I see you are in Canada but here is the FDA Link which specifically lists many types of foods including brownies (serving size is 40 grams).

https://www.accessda...h.cfm?fr=101.12

Regards,

Thanked by 1 Member:

#8 kgonzalez

kgonzalez

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

Serving size 3 pieces (45 g)

Servings per container about 4.5

Your closest approximation to the 40g RACC is 3 pieces, 45g. At 14 brownies in a container, that would be 4 and 2/3 servings. The regulation is that, as it is between 2 and 5 servings, it should be rounded to the nearest half-serving and accompanied with the word "about" to indicate rounding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users