• 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

Hii,

Good day.

Presently ,I am auditing kitchens against the GMP and GHP. The kitchens are medium sized and in-dining is not there. Every day they have a menu of 50 dishes.

Based on my observations I have few questions and searching really hard to find the answers.

- Each kitchen has dry storage room. In that room, food items are stored in the shelves of the racks.They are storing stock of cleaning supplies, Food contact packaging material (Primary ) and Unused equipment in the same room.

Now I have advised them to store primary packaging material, stock of cleaning supplies and primary packaging material physically separated in designated racks. Because its a small kitchen .Beside the main kitchen they have only one room for storage area .So they don't have more rooms to store such things separately.

But I warned them not to bring corrugated boxes and broken utensils in the dry store area.

I need some enlightenment :yeahrite: 

- What is best  procedure of receiving fruits and vegetables in the kitchen.Shall we place some table in receiving area for inspecting incoming veggies and fruits.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Charu

Ehab Nassar

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 147 thanks
Excellent

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

Hi Charu ,

- Each kitchen has dry storage room. In that room, food items are stored in the shelves of the racks.They are storing stock of cleaning supplies, Food contact packaging material (Primary ) and Unused equipment in the same room.

in this case ,as there is a limited space :

- Try to store the cleaning chemicals in the lower shelf and assign this shelf for it 

- Unused equipment , why it is keeps in the storage area then if it is not used it should be out of the restaurant , or it is not used temporary , if it is in temporary and will used then try to store them in the highest shelf and they should be stored clean and sanitized with a proper rapping .

packaging will be in the middle shelves.

I need some enlightenment :yeahrite:

- What is best  procedure of receiving fruits and vegetables in the kitchen.Shall we place some table in receiving area for inspecting incoming veggies and fruits.

The best way is to have an Approved supplier supplying you from a Global GAP certified farm , this will assure that you have the minimum microbial load , normally in restaurant the check is done during the receiving at the delivery vehicle by inspecting some random samples , if required further evaluation you can do it in the vegetables washing area  or clean and sanitize them then evaluate them in the preparation area.

Note that the produce should not stored in the crates /cartons supplied from the farm to avoid any risk of cross contamination it should be transferred to another clean plastic boxes assigned for storage.

BR,

Ehab

Thanked by 1 Member:

charu13

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:55 PM

Hi Charu ,

in this case ,as there is a limited space :

- Try to store the cleaning chemicals in the lower shelf and assign this shelf for it 

- Unused equipment , why it is keeps in the storage area then if it is not used it should be out of the restaurant , or it is not used temporary , if it is in temporary and will used then try to store them in the highest shelf and they should be stored clean and sanitized with a proper rapping .

packaging will be in the middle shelves.

The best way is to have an Approved supplier supplying you from a Global GAP certified farm , this will assure that you have the minimum microbial load , normally in restaurant the check is done during the receiving at the delivery vehicle by inspecting some random samples , if required further evaluation you can do it in the vegetables washing area  or clean and sanitize them then evaluate them in the preparation area.

Note that the produce should not stored in the crates /cartons supplied from the farm to avoid any risk of cross contamination it should be transferred to another clean plastic boxes assigned for storage.

BR,

Ehab

Thanks for the  reply.

FlotoYo

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

We are a very small business (20 employees) and have similar issues with "Best practice" versus feasibility when it comes to storage.

Best practice is to lock cleaning supplies up. it's required for SQF. not sure about the European requirements. can a locker be purchased to hold items? that would keep the cleaning supplies segregated. If it's toilet paper and non-chemical items, can they create shelves in the restrooms?

I definitely agree that unused equipment needs to be well wrapped or boxed up, labeled, and put on high. Create an SOP that describes why that eliminates any possible risks in a risk assessment.

Reserve one shelf entirely for allergen ingredients, if possible, or put high risk items on the bottom.

we had to buy bins for flour, and only order enough flour to fit in the covered bin so as to keep separate.

Thanked by 1 Member:

charu13

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:11 AM

We are a very small business (20 employees) and have similar issues with "Best practice" versus feasibility when it comes to storage.

Best practice is to lock cleaning supplies up. it's required for SQF. not sure about the European requirements. can a locker be purchased to hold items? that would keep the cleaning supplies segregated. If it's toilet paper and non-chemical items, can they create shelves in the restrooms?

I definitely agree that unused equipment needs to be well wrapped or boxed up, labeled, and put on high. Create an SOP that describes why that eliminates any possible risks in a risk assessment.

Reserve one shelf entirely for allergen ingredients, if possible, or put high risk items on the bottom.

we had to buy bins for flour, and only order enough flour to fit in the covered bin so as to keep separate.

Thanks for such a wonderful advice.

I have one more question. Since we are a small kitchen. So how to do segregation of  the veg and non veg cooking.

Regards,

FlotoYo

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for such a wonderful advice.

I have one more question. Since we are a small kitchen. So how to do segregation of  the veg and non veg cooking.

Regards,

Unfortunately I cannot advise you on that issue. Are you talking about vegetarian versus non-vegetarian? If so, I would imagine it is the same. Provide segregated shelving that have clear separation. Generally I find that a visual separation and SOP is sufficient, and while it may not be possible to use best practices, if it's clear and training is enforced, they usually accept your solution. Sorry I can't be more help on that one.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users