• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

Hello all, 

I'm not only new to SQF standards, I'm new to Quality overall. I currently work in QA/Sanitation at a long-lived spray drying facility while still finishing my degree. The company I work for has decided to revitalize its documents in an attempt to qualify for SQF level 3 in the near future. In preparation,  I have recently taken the Implementing SQF Systems course for manufacturing. While it gave me the overall logic of SQF, I'm admittedly inexperienced. So, I've come here for general advice on how to tackle such a large project.

Working with my quality manager we have derived a plan to go through each department one by one and develop a list of all the "Inputs" and "Outputs" and work from there to determine their risks and verification, much like a HACCP approach. I have a general idea of what I need to be doing but I feel like this is the best place to come for advice hopefully from those who have gone through this before. I know this isn't going to be seamless, but perhaps with some help here I can make this transition workout. 

As we speak I am writing the list of in's and outs for my first selected department which primarily is responsible for the process of an evaporator. I plan to report any questions along the way to this topic post. For now, feel free to comment any advice you have or maybe what you've learned from taking on a similar task. Also, examples of what SQF is definitively looking for in level 3 documentation. I've been through there site, but without paying some $ it looks like I don't get many clear cut policy examples. Thanks! 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:30 AM

Hi duganz,

Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

A few comments -

SQF levels 2 and 3 are, afaik, now obsolete for audit purposes and have been "replaced". Details should be on the SQF website. For example SQF Food L2 is now the SQF FS Code for Manufacturing, Ed 8.

Afaik (not a SQF user) certification to the replacement of SQF L2 before (or perhaps in parallel?) is required in order to be audited for the replacement of SQF L3.

I would personally suggest you focus on SQF L2's replacement  first.

Not sure if you know that detailed Guidance material for the Clauses of the various SQF Codes is freely downloadable from the SQF website.

It may depend on  you/your Company's Technical background and familiarity with GFSI-recognised FS Systems but an "approved" SQF training course is often recommended for startups. It's a question of "Tricks of the Trade."

Regardless don't hesitate to ask any queries as and when you need. Most of us started in identical boats to yourself. !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users