Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:07 PM

A friend and I were discussing ‘use by' dates earlier and we both agreed we rarely use them, preferring in most cases to use our senses. In the ‘nanny state' we live in consumers are brainwashed and there's no doubt that many tonnes of good wholesome food are thrown away every day because the ‘use by' date expired a day or so ago.

I'm sure food manufacturers err on the side of caution when determining shelf life and specifying ‘use by' dates to give themselves a cushion of X days over the real safe to eat date to account for any delays in the supply process etc.

I wonder if anyone has some real examples? I.e. yoghurt - specified shelf life 7 days actual safe to eat time 14 days (providing storage conditions are maintained).

Of course this is just for research and we wouldn't advise anyone to eat food after the ‘use by' date has expired - would we? :yeahrite:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:27 PM

Our main product is vinegar which does not need to have any type of best before or use by date on it, although some of our customers ask for a best before date to be printed on. Some have 12 months, some 18, some 24 months.

I think this goes to show how muchuse best before dates really are.

Personally, as long as the product has been stored coreectly, I don't have a problem eating foods past their dates, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!! :death:

Nadine

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Bonno

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Web design, Football (football team linked above), Music, Reading, Films - usual stuff really.<br /><br />Would like to give golf a try but have not got around to it yet.<br /><br />I have also heard that having weekends off is quite good, so intend to give that a try soon and see if I like it!

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:27 AM

This point was made by my son (at the time he was only 6).

In the 'olden days' if you wanted to preserve something you picked it - why then is there a 'use by date' on pickling vinegar (and items pickled)?

Sometimes you have to wonder that if some decisions were made by young children instead of 'highly qualified experts' everything would be a lot simpler and things would only be present that were actually needed (and a lot easier in most cases for the average person to understand).

:notworking:

Your mind is a parachute, it doesn't work when it's closed....Frank Zappa

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:02 AM

This point was made by my son (at the time he was only 6).

Hi Bonno,

I had the same doubt and found out this link, recently updated NZFSA shelf life of food

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:35 PM

The reason some customers like a shelf life on their vinegar is due to the risk of a bacterial growth (Acetobacter xylinium). This bacteria is completely harmless and, according to my Gran, used to be a sign of a good vinegar. As this vinegar looks like a ball of slime, people don't really see it as a good thing, hence the Best before dates.

Some customers don't bother, they rely on people using the vinegar before the bacteria grows.

Nadine

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

I had the same doubt and found out this link, recently updated NZFSA shelf life of food

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great link Franco - thanks! :clap:

:off_topic:

Did you know seventeen million tonnes of surplus food is dumped on landfills every year in the UK? Of the 17 million tonnes of waste food, four million tonnes is edible. The cost of this waste if around £18 billion annually. By the way this is just the retailers waste; it doesn't include what we wasteful consumers throw away.

SUPERMARKET LANDFILLS

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:15 AM

Listen to last night's Radio 4 programme on the same subject:

Costing the Earth

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:46 AM

Recently added from FSAI

FSAI guidance note n. 18

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users