- - - - -

ipatel

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:04 PM

I am involved within the food sector, in manufacturing. My org deals with the biggest retailers in the EU.
The retailers have asked us to start using self assessments, internet sites, undertake desk top studies, become members of ethical groups etc and also looked at audits.
I am of the opinion that this particular area currently is being paid mere lip service, and I would welcome some sound ideas and suggestions on how the industry could help itself and others to become trully ethical.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:21 AM

I am involved within the food sector, in manufacturing. My org deals with the biggest retailers in the EU.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which country?

There has been a push for greater ‘ethicalness' in the UK; I'm not exactly sure who is driving it, but it's probably the retailers. The ethical questionnaires I've seen circulating in the UK so far are very basic and virtually all the items are already covered by various legal requirements such as Health & Safety and Employment legislation. Often there are many links in the chain of imported goods, through many countries and cultures with different expectations of equality and fairness. It's not easy in a capitalist society.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:20 PM

We have signed up to a website form Sedex, this deals with all of our major customers requirements

nadine

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Nadine, if you are involved maybe you could share some of your experience on how it works and whether the service is any good etc.

Further information about Sedex.

What is SEDEX?
Sedex is a secure, web-based system for companies to maintain data on labour standards at production sites and make it available to companies with which they are in a trading relationship, in order to drive and demonstrate improvements.

A growing number of companies are carrying out their own ethical assessments and audits, using their own staff or independent auditors. This leads to duplication of assessments and audits, which is expensive, time-consuming and often confusing. This can result in inaction and, in extreme cases, harm to workers.

Sedex makes it easier for companies to provide information on labour standards in the supply chain, to reduce duplication and to focus attention and resources on driving improvements.

The Sedex is being launched in phases during summer 2004. Sedex is constituted as a not-for-profit company, owned by its members.

Web site: http://www.sedex.co.uk

No that isn't Father Christmas (Santa) silly. :lol2:

Membership and price guide (PDF)

Frequently Asked Questions

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:05 AM

We have found that most of the major UK retailers accept Sedex membership as complying with Ethical trade rules.

It's fairly easy to complete, and once its done thats it.

Nadine

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users