• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:22 AM

Hi to everyone.

I am new to this network, but have viewed it for a couple of months. I have found it very informative and helpful.

I am a food safety manager of a supplier of bulk refined sugar. A question has been poised by one of our customers that within the supply chain what food safety systems do we have on our dedicated chartered vessel, which we use deliver our bulk food product.
Generally, were we have a manufacturing site we are moving to ISO 22000 but I am not sure with regard to shipping (transportation).
Does anyone know if there is a standard which we could use or someone can suggest which way to deal with this?

Tony

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

I am a food safety manager of a supplier of bulk refined sugar. A question has been poised by one of our customers that within the supply chain what food safety systems do we have on our dedicated chartered vessel, which we use deliver our bulk food product.
Generally, were we have a manufacturing site we are moving to ISO 22000 but I am not sure with regard to shipping (transportation).
Does anyone know if there is a standard which we could use or someone can suggest which way to deal with this?

Hi Tony, welcome to the forums. I don't have direct experience, but you may find The BRC Global Standard - Storage and Distribution helpful. Hopefully other members may be able to share direct experience of hygiene systems for bulk transportation.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:32 AM

Dear TonyC

Also not my direct experience (and may well be much better covered in Simon’s suggestion, at a price unfortunately) but in the freeware area there is a Codex Code of Practice for bulk transportation which gives an EU overview of the general subject and other related CCOPs.

http://www.codexalim...70/CXP_047e.pdf.

My guess is you are aware of the above already.

Although not directly on topic, aspects of some of the above sub-topics as applied to sea-going vessels are covered in considerable detail in the USFDA food hygiene standards for passenger cruise vessels, particularly in a well-known manual (VSP Operations Manual). See this linked page –

http://www.cdc.gov/n...sc/aboutvsp.htm

My few cents worth. Hopefully some experts will appear shortly.

Charles.C

PS there are some older threads on the general topic in this forum which also contain some interesting xlinks , eg see –

http://www.ifsqn.com...?showtopic=2519
(any newer comments Yorkshire :smile: ?)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony C

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hi Tony, welcome to the forums. I don't have direct experience, but you may find The BRC Global Standard - Storage and Distribution helpful. Hopefully other members may be able to share direct experience of hygiene systems for bulk transportation.

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon,
Thanks for this I am aware of it and this maybe the one we finally follow. However was wondering if anyone new of anything more specific that could help in the bulk transportation.

Tony C

Tony C

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

Charles C
I will have a look at these attachments. I am sure it will help.

Thanks

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:07 PM

Hi Tony
sorry i didnt quite get your question clearly, but do you mean you need a different system applicable only in your transportation?

What you probably are looking for is a combination of food safety and more-so on Food Security. I am not sure how other requirements from other parts of the world go but since the vessel is not within your full control, Security will be high priority. How do you ensure the product hasnt been tampered with, that the driver understands GMP's in terms of storage temperatures and delivery times and Food security if, or whenever he/she makes an unofficial stop, Do you apply safety seals on your truck? how do you control the seals especially in a multi drop load ? Bill of Lading?

i think you have to think along those lines. I have found these to be what most customers worry about especially if you have done the other parts like ensuring trucks are clean etc.

Vu

Edited by vulindlela, 28 August 2008 - 12:09 PM.

A vu in time , saves nine

Tony C

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hi Vu

Thanks for reply, sorry I am late in getting back - You are correct in stating to go down the security route. However as mentioned in the intial message this is about ships. One of our customers is asking what Food safety Management system we have on our ships which will have a HACCP included which closes the potential food risk in the food chain and of course traceability.
I am looking for a standard for shipping similar to the BRC Storage & Distribution.

I think I will use the BRC extracts as a guideline and of course build the HACCP around it.

Regards
Tony

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:47 PM

No doubt the BRC will now be hastily preparing a standard for Food Safety on bulk transportation vessels such as ships. They always get their inspiration from here :smile:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users