• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

Hi guys,

We're having a problem removing extremely sticky labels/glue from a particular type of bottle we are receiving. These certain bottles go through a 6 stage caustic wash and not only does the caustic wash NOT remove the label/glue but this particular glue is also gumming up the machinery itself. We have tried using a 50% solution of FatSolve, however this has proved to not be a strong enough cleaning agent. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brendon

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

This probably won't help you. Your query led me to google and this website Chemical Profiles

If you do happen to find a chemical you can use at least you will be able to find data on it.

Brendon

Brendon

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

An apology in advance if this is another stupid idea, your post intrigues me and I just had to post this.

Removing Labels from Jars and Cans

Amongst the ideas the winner appears to be peanut butter. :unsure:

I promise not to post any more.

Brendon

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

Dear Brendon,

:thumbup: . Some (slightly) OT is very cathartic IMO. Hopefully Arusinas won't object.

@ Arusinas. Actually my first thought was to contact the label supplier. They may well have had this query before or know the source of the (super) glue ?? Tried already ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

arusinas

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

we have already spoken with the supplier and they are discontinuing use of the adhesive. However, there are still a large number of said bottles in circulation, which we will encounter for the next few months. the glue is not only a problem on the bottles but also gums up our bottle washer, hence the need for a good adhesive remover.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

Dear Arusinas,

The supplier is also the manufacturer ? (usually the best source for information). Must admit not an expert on adhesives however I would think knowledge of the type of chemical involved would help to suggest an appropriate solvent. IMEX, composition data is minimum required for official approval of food grade adhesives ? maybe not in Canada ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users