Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:00 AM

Does any body share his/her perception/thinking/examples/experiences to explain following requirement of the standard:

6.2.2 (b) : provide training or take other action to ensure personnel have the necessary competencies,

What may be the other actions???

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:36 AM

Dear Zeeshan,

IMO the point of the cluase is demanding the company should ensure that all of worker/employee has competency (some would say it consists of: Skill, Knowledge, and Attitude) that adequate with his/her position. Example: A boiler operator should has engineering background and indued with relevant certificate.

Thus, if the worker/employee doesnt has adequate competency, the company should fill the lack by train the worker/employee. And for "The Other Action", IMO it only sayin the other form of competency fullfilment (beside the training). Example: seminary, proficiency tests. Another action that may considered as "radical" IMO: the company should be very selective when hire someone. Make sure that he/she has an adequate competency, especially at food areas.

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

Just to add Experience also contributes hugely to competency levels. If a worker has been with the company for 20 years he/she will know the job inside out, but may not have had any formal training.

Be careful the 20 years experience could make the employee competent at doing some of the wrong things also. It is important to check good competency through formal auditing, observing and discussing with the employees and also by looking at data such as internal rejections and customer returns. Maybe this will point to some unlearning and rewiring reeducating. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

siddhu

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

Does any body share his/her perception/thinking/examples/experiences to explain following requirement of the standard:

6.2.2 (b) : provide training or take other action to ensure personnel have the necessary competencies,

dear Zeeshan

in first case before employing desired competencies are to be made to particular job function, if candidate is not of that competencies the gap is to be identified and further training based on gap identification is to be given
In second case when employee is already doing the job/function should be assessed against particular job function and gap identified to be eliminated by refresher training.

regards,
siddhu

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

Just to add Experience also contributes hugely to competency levels. If a worker has been with the company for 20 years he/she will know the job inside out, but may not have had any formal training. Be careful the 20 years experience could make the employee competent at doing some of the wrong things also. It is important to check good competency through formal auditing, observing and discussing with the employees and also by looking at data such as internal rejections and customer returns. Maybe this will point to some unlearning and rewiring reeducating. :smile: Regards, Simon

Dear Simon,

Yups, indeed, Im agree that experience is the best teacher. But unfortunately the system wont let it go that way.. Our auditors requesting certificates or proven record to ensure that the employee has adequate competency. They even tracing the training hours of the employee and match it with the schedule! Humph... System can be so demanding sometimes...

Regards,

Arya

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:02 PM

dear Arya,

System can be so demanding sometimes...

Yes, and auditors can also be wrong , or perhaps over-zealous (at yr expense!)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

Dear Simon,
Yups, indeed, Im agree that experience is the best teacher. But unfortunately the system wont let it go that way.. Our auditors requesting certificates or proven record to ensure that the employee has adequate competency. They even tracing the training hours of the employee and match it with the schedule! Humph... System can be so demanding sometimes...
Regards,
Arya

Hi Arya,

I agree that of course evidence of training is a necessary element to verify competence, but it is not the only measure. Knowledge and experience is definitely a part of competence and especially if the results of their work can be shown to be meeting the requirements. So if your auditor is not taking this into consideration then he/she is not competent to do their job IMHO.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:42 AM

Competence contain 2 factor they are Soft Skill (Attitude) and Hard Skill (technical)...

And Hard skill came from Job Experiences and Knowledge...

IMEX.. Auditor always ask competency of food handler especially that work in CCP Area... And during Audit we answer that question with data of Educational and experiences background of food handler, and for the new people we provide Trainning records in term of food safety and operational according to they job...That answer make the auditor happy ...

Erasmo

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 135 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hi,
This is an auditor guidance for 6.2.2:

"To satisfy the competence/effectiveness requirements, an organization will typically need to do several things:-

· Identify what competencies are required by personnel performing work which affects quality - or food safety...

· Identify which personnel already performing the work have the required competencies

· Decide what additional competencies are required

· Decide how these additional competencies are to be obtained – training of personnel (external or internal), theoretical or practical training, hiring of new competent personnel, assignment of existing competent personnel to different work

· Train, hire or reassign personnel

· Review the effectiveness of actions taken to satisfy competence needs

· Periodically review competence of personnel"

Saludos!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the official line Erasmo.

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:16 AM

And for "The Other Action", IMO it only sayin the other form of competency fullfilment (beside the training). Example: seminary, proficiency tests. Another action that may considered as "radical"

Dear Arya,

Would you pls explain what's seminary? Did you mean arranging seminar or delivering presentations? Also I could not understand what do you mean by "Radical".

Regards:

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:08 AM

Hi,
This is an auditor guidance for 6.2.2:

"To satisfy the competence/effectiveness requirements, an organization will typically need to do several things:-

· Identify what competencies are required by personnel performing work which affects quality - or food safety...

· Identify which personnel already performing the work have the required competencies

· Decide what additional competencies are required

· Decide how these additional competencies are to be obtained – training of personnel (external or internal), theoretical or practical training, hiring of new competent personnel, assignment of existing competent personnel to different work

· Train, hire or reassign personnel

· Review the effectiveness of actions taken to satisfy competence needs

· Periodically review competence of personnel"

Saludos!

Dear ERASMO...Can you give me the link of that documen ? I need for my internal audit next day...

Thanks...

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

Dear Zeeshan,

I beg you pardon for the lack of my vocabularies. Yes, the seminary means a seminar. A company may point their employee to attend a FSMS or HACCP seminar that held by external parties (consultant, certification body, etc), which IMO also may increase their competencies. And the good thing is, a great seminar would give proven certificate to the attendance, which may used as a proof for to the Auditor, that the related employee has tune up his/her competencies after following the seminar.

And for the "Radical" thing, well I suppose to think that mean is a hard and tough way to ensure that your employee has adequate competency. Some company may have a policy like this one: Dont accept an employee who doesnt understand about FSMS, or doesnt has any food technology background. Probably they dont want to spend cost or time of training.

But some company would take a "moderate" way by keep hiring the employee who doesnt aware too much about FSMS, and then fill the lack by train him/her.

Regards,

Arya

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users