• Quick Navigation
Photo

How do you celebrate at the end / beginning of a New Year?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:48 AM

The members of these forums are from all over the world from different cultures and religions so it would be a little narrow minded of me to start a Happy Christmas thread. Instead I’ll tell you what I will be doing over the next few weeks and maybe you can share what you intend to do – if anything.

Well for me and my family the countdown to Christmas has started. The children each have an advent calendar and every morning they eagerly open that day’s door to discover the little chocolate treat inside. When I was a kid there was no chocolate, the image behind the door was enough of a treat.

http://upload.wikime...nt_calendar.jpg

We will also put up some decorations at home probably next week such as a Christmas tree and maybe a holly wreath on the front door.

http://i5.tinypic.com/82jrp1c.jpg

At work we are going out for lunch next week to have a traditional Christmas meal with roast turkey, sage and onion stuffing and lots of vegetables including of course sprouts. We may also have Christmas pudding and some beer and wine. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia....hristmas_dinner

I finish work on December 24th at lunchtime (Christmas Eve) and then it is off home to the family for two weeks. I don’t return to work until 05 January 2009. :smile:

On the 25th it’s Christmas day when we get to swap presents and later that day we have Christmas dinner again at home with my wife’s parents and brother. Most of the time over the two weeks is spent entertaining or being entertained, eating, drinking and being merry. It sounds peaceful and rather idyllic doesn’t it? Actually there will be probably lots of arguing and noise and I will be lucky to get 10 minutes peace and quiet.

Seriously I really do love this time of year and as my twin boys are in the boy scouts and in the school choir we will also get to hear some nice stories and sing my favourite Christmas carols at our local church. I don’t go very often but I really enjoy it when I do as it takes one away from the cruel world for an hour or so and concentrates the mind on the things that matter. The motto of the church is ‘fun and friendship in a fair world’ – and I can’t see anything wrong with that.

The next big celebration is New Years Eve 31 December, probably a party will ensue to welcome in the New Year at midnight and then New Years day will be spent idling and pondering what 2009 will bring…

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:51 PM

BUMP for me. Is nobody planning to do anything?

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

Hi Simon,

I take 3 weeks holiday, and will probably take an airplane out into the wide world.

Were ever you there you are, Okido

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

Hi Simon!

I work on Christmas day, although manage to work only half a day.

Most of the time we feast on traditional roast turkey, roast duck, honey roast chicken, roast rib eye of beef or beef Wellington. These are specials available in our hotel which I take home and plan a dinner (either on the eve or on Christmas day) with close family members.

Most of the time my mother bake cakes in bulk almost very alternate days so that we have sufficient to distribute to our friends and colleagues. Decorations are done by the 3rd weekend where we put a tree & light a star and when we were kids we used to decorate a lot more and buy cards to post or hand over, this has somewhat reduced to a minimum practice now, maybe due to IT.

Usually on the weekend, either before or after Christmas we call friends or colleagues home for either lunch or dinner. Christmas carols come home and we attend Christmas mass and a lot of calls are made (most of the time international calls) to dear and near ones in other parts of the world. Karaoke & drinks are common during special events.

For New year eve we attend the church mass. Watch new year programs or fireworks and most of the time discuss the good and bad events of the past year and stay awake late . New year is somewhat quiet at home.

But if I am in my homeland for Christmas and New Year, then we have a lot more exciting activities…. I wish to get my annual leave during the festive season so that I can fly to my place.

Edited by Jean, 11 December 2008 - 12:04 PM.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

Dear All,

Hiya.. what a great plan:) I envy to you, because I never plan my own holiday :( The last holiday (Ied Mubarak) is filled with sleep-eat-video game activities (what a boring guy)... But I manage to go to an interesting place at the very end of my holiday (a literally very end.. I am only spend less than 20 hours there, and need to get back again :p).

Humm.. But it seems the other members quite feel the same this time. Not so willing to have a great holiday... A generic symptom of traumatic-credit-crunch-syndrome perhaps?

This end year holiday might took a long day and probably will be the same at the last holiday. Considering that Islamic New Year at this moment is fall at the middle of Christmas and New Year, so I suppose there will be so much holiday in my country:)

Anyway my vision on the next holiday is:
1. Continuing my side "project" that left over for few months
2. Go to a amusement park with my friend. I pick 27 or 28 Dec, coz I am pretty much sure it wont be so crowded there.
3. Visiting my friend's house at New Year's Eve, and havin the same ritual (each year): BBQ party.
4. Watchin' the fireworks at final countdown
5. Sleep at the rest of my holiday, so I wont be regret "why I dont spend much time on the bed at this holiday?!@?$"
Not so great as Simon's, okido's, and J's, but I guess thats the best I can think right now.

And oh yeah Simon, what a nice family you have there. A twin son, what a lucky dad... I wish you had a great time with your family on Christmas and New Year. Please send my best regards to your wife and childrens. Salam (regards-Indonesia) :)

To J: I hope you'll get your annual leave. My boss already took it on last week. I wonder if I can get it for this holiday? (Aah what sweet minion's dream...)

To okido: Dont hesitate to attach Indonesia on your schedule. We'll be pleased to welcome you;)

Regards,

Arya

Edited by a_andhika, 11 December 2008 - 12:10 PM.

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:51 AM

Yeach .. So long holiday in Indonesia at the end of the years because from 25/12/08 - 1 /01/2009 we have much "RED DATE" ,that we call holiday in Indonesia, .. so I plan to go to Jogjakarta (nice place in Indonesia at Central Java) with my wife and my little doughter... We hope we can "Recharge" our energy and spirit to facing a new bright year.. :cool:

And... SALAM... to your family simon... and J.. and agree with Arya.. we hope Indonesia can be nice place place for you Okido... :thumbup:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for sharing guys I really enjoyed reading your stories.

Anyone else want to share?

Salam. :smile:
Simon

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France
  • Interests:Literature : novels, Sci-Fi, thrillers; Rowing; Personal and Professional travels

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Hi all,

Quite the same thing as Simon. In France we still have a big christian culture even though sales and marketing prefer dealing with Santa claus...
Therefore I will assist at the Christmas mess at 10pm or midnight, I actually don't know. And sthg funny as adults, we still put the Christ in the crib at midnight!

One of the most imptt thing is to gather the family for this period, forgetting stress, sadness, fights etc..., so important to gather our thoughts all around a happy event. Hopefully we still have this one in this dark period from the environment crisis to the financial and economical crisis! Moreover we can think about a lot of things and realize that our little own selfish life isn't at the top of the world...

Emmanuel

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

The members of these forums are from all over the world from different cultures and religions so it would be a little narrow minded of me to start a Happy Christmas thread. Instead I’ll tell you what I will be doing over the next few weeks and maybe you can share what you intend to do – if anything.

Well for me and my family the countdown to Christmas has started. The children each have an advent calendar and every morning they eagerly open that day’s door to discover the little chocolate treat inside. When I was a kid there was no chocolate, the image behind the door was enough of a treat.

http://upload.wikime...nt_calendar.jpg

We will also put up some decorations at home probably next week such as a Christmas tree and maybe a holly wreath on the front door.

http://i5.tinypic.com/82jrp1c.jpg

At work we are going out for lunch next week to have a traditional Christmas meal with roast turkey, sage and onion stuffing and lots of vegetables including of course sprouts. We may also have Christmas pudding and some beer and wine. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia....hristmas_dinner

I finish work on December 24th at lunchtime (Christmas Eve) and then it is off home to the family for two weeks. I don’t return to work until 05 January 2009. :smile:

On the 25th it’s Christmas day when we get to swap presents and later that day we have Christmas dinner again at home with my wife’s parents and brother. Most of the time over the two weeks is spent entertaining or being entertained, eating, drinking and being merry. It sounds peaceful and rather idyllic doesn’t it? Actually there will be probably lots of arguing and noise and I will be lucky to get 10 minutes peace and quiet.

Seriously I really do love this time of year and as my twin boys are in the boy scouts and in the school choir we will also get to hear some nice stories and sing my favourite Christmas carols at our local church. I don’t go very often but I really enjoy it when I do as it takes one away from the cruel world for an hour or so and concentrates the mind on the things that matter. The motto of the church is ‘fun and friendship in a fair world’ – and I can’t see anything wrong with that.

The next big celebration is New Years Eve 31 December, probably a party will ensue to welcome in the New Year at midnight and then New Years day will be spent idling and pondering what 2009 will bring…

Simon

Hello Simon

Well i'm going home to my dad's on xmas eve, until the Sunday.

I'll be cooking the dinner (we're having beef). The good thing is, as i cook it, i don't have to go shopping!We'll exchange our presents just before lunch. My dad is the biggest kid!

This year we've the added excitement of my sister being due her first baby, and the first grand child for my dad. She's been warned that if she goes into labour on xmas day, she's taking her bloody dinner with her!

boxing day we spend at my sisters (or the maternity ward!), with some friends coming around in the evening.

if i haven't had the urge to bury my dad under the patio, i'll stay at my dad's on the Saturday night, and maybe take him to the pub.

New years eve, i stay in. go to bed early, out of the way!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:39 AM

Happy Xmas and equally Happy New Year (at any relevant date) to all. Speaking as a confirmed Couch TV Potato, I have greatly enjoyed reading all the intensive efforts being made regarding Xmas, etc celebrations :biggrin: .

And, slightly :off_topic: , many thanks to all the incredibly generous people who have contributed to this forum over the last and previous years. It couldn’t run without you. :clap: :clap:

And again, slightly :off_topic: , I think one should reserve a moment’s thought for the many people across the Globe who, for whatever reasons, are unable to relax and enjoy such activities.

Best Rgds to All / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

Hello Simon

Well i'm going home to my dad's on xmas eve, until the Sunday.

I'll be cooking the dinner (we're having beef). The good thing is, as i cook it, i don't have to go shopping!We'll exchange our presents just before lunch. My dad is the biggest kid!

This year we've the added excitement of my sister being due her first baby, and the first grand child for my dad. She's been warned that if she goes into labour on xmas day, she's taking her bloody dinner with her!

boxing day we spend at my sisters (or the maternity ward!), with some friends coming around in the evening.

if i haven't had the urge to bury my dad under the patio, i'll stay at my dad's on the Saturday night, and maybe take him to the pub.

New years eve, i stay in. go to bed early, out of the way!

Thanks for the insight into your Xmas and keep us updated on your sisters baby Caz, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both. My younger brother had a baby on 19th December (well his partner did). Believe it or not the 19th is his birthday and get this he delivered the baby himself. They planned to have a home birth but they expected it to be a little more erm... professional. Amy was in the shower at 9.30 a.m. when she started to go into labour, by 10.45 a.m. she had given birth. My brother David was receiving instructions over the telephone whilst the cavalry tried to get there (cavalry = mother, sister, ambulance and midwife). They failed and he caught Isaac (8lb 7oz). Thankfully all are doing well. Believe it or not my older brother is having his first child supposedly today 22nd December. Not here yet but there’s a couple of hours left. Maybe a chance for Christmas Day. :smile:

And, slightly :off_topic: , many thanks to all the incredibly generous people who have contributed to this forum over the last and previous years. It couldn’t run without you. :clap: :clap:

And again, slightly :off_topic: , I think one should reserve a moment’s thought for the many people across the Globe who, for whatever reasons, are unable to relax and enjoy such activities.

Best Rgds to All / Charles.C

Here, here Charles. A Heartfelt thanks to everyone for contributing to the discussions this year. I've said it before and I'll say it again - without you all we would not exist. :smile: All the best and let's been thankful for what we have and spare a thought for those that do not.

Regards,
Simon

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:43 AM

oops.. before my holiday.. we have to facing with second surveillance audit of ISO 22K.. that audit will be held on 23 Desember 2008...oppss that is today... so guys wish me luck during the audit...
After that i hope i can enjoy the holiday...

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:38 AM

Dear Charles,

As Simon said, you have been very generous in contributing to most of the topics. I also thank all the members for their valuable inputs in the discussions. :rolleyes:

I wish the festive season brings peace, happiness and good tidings to all across the Globe and hope for a better year ahead. :rolleyes:

At the same time, glad to hear about newbie born and yet to be born from Simon’s and Caz’s side.

Dear As Nur,

Best of luck for your surveillance audit. Have a great holiday! :thumbup:

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:27 PM

Dear AS NUR,

I guess the audit has now occurred so here's hoping it went OK ?

(Actually I am surprised the auditors's hv not already stopped in order to access the "RED DATE" period.[Intriguing name, maybe it's obvious to everyone else but where does it come from ?])

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

thanks for all of you...

great.. we got succesfully audit.. the auditor just finding area for improvement (observation).. and he said our ISO 22K system fully implemented and no non compliance findings.. so.. we still held the ISO 22K certicate...

Thanks for your wish... :thumbup: and i can enjoy my holiday.. now...

sirilucky

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

Hmmm...I take two weeks vacation and move to my home town during christmas.
I stay along with my parents those two weeks. I fullfill every wish of thier at that time. I spend these two weeks very happily. :)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users