Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

I drive a Peugeot 306 XL 1995 with 120,000 miles on the clock. I'm quite happy with the old bugger and I would drive it till the axels fall off, but I'm getting stick from all sides to upgrade.

Believe it or not I cannot afford to go out and buy a new car for cash (to be honest I can't even afford to buy a wheelbarrow for cash) so my options are to get a loan or lease. The last time I was in the market for a car was 1995 and I haven't got a clue where to start; a quick search on the net throws up tons of information but I really don't know where to begin and am looking for some guidance.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:22 PM

Simon,

I know where you are coming form, I drive a 106 with a cracked compression head, OK in the summer but it will not start when the weather gets cold!!
Once it starts it goes on forever, all with one tank of diesel, but its just getting it started!

Everyone keeps telling me to get a new one, but its not as easy as that, I love my car, OK its temperamental on cold mornings, but who isn't?

If you like your car, stick with it!!

Nadine

Edited by SAM, 28 July 2005 - 01:22 PM.

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:57 PM

If you like your car, stick with it!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A large slice of me agrees with you Nadine. I suppose I'd only have to wash a new one. :thumbdown:

I will post a photograph to show you what they mean. :lol2:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:49 AM

I will post a photograph to show you what they mean. :lol2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Attached File  Car__good_side.jpg   132.99KB   74 downloads
Comments?

Regards,
Simon

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:23 PM

Simon.

Keep the Pug and get a loan to widen the entrance to your driveway !

I had an old 306 and succumbed to the charms of a new car, still miss the old thing .

Martin.

Why put off until tomorrow that which you can avoid doing altogether ?

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:21 PM

Simon,

The car still looks damn good but if you should consider buying a new car, I am not sure of the Income Tax Law in your country but over where I come from, I would buy or lease a new car and have it placed in my name (for road tax purposes - if there is a difference between personal and corporate in UK) / an agreement between myself and the company holding in custody on behalf should do the trick).

3- 5 years later (depending on the approved amortizing rate), the company hives it off to me at depreciated value (normally for a nomical value of 1 dollar).

The loophole here is that you get to drive the car all the while, enjoy the tax rebate and gets to buy the car for a song later...........and sell it off for a "tax-free profit" if you should wish to sell it off.

Do this method work for you?

Is all legal!
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:39 PM

Keep the Pug and get a loan to widen the entrance to your driveway !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol2: I think you could be right mate; the more experienced I become the worse I seem to be getting. :dunno:

The car still looks damn good but if you should consider buying a new car, I am not sure of the Income Tax Law in your country but over where I come from, I would buy or lease a new car and have it placed in my name (for road tax purposes - if there is a difference between personal and corporate in UK) / an agreement between myself and the company holding in custody on behalf should do the trick).  3- 5 years later (depending on the approved amortizing rate), the company hives it off to me at depreciated value (normally for a nomical value of 1 dollar).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds good Charles; I'm not sure but I think if you have a company car over here you have to pay more personal income tax - I will check with my accountant - he'll know. ;)

Regards,
Simon

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:02 AM

Simon,

Charles is spot on - the same arrangements can take place here. If you are VAT registered you instantly get 17.5% off the purchase price. Your company tax burden will be offset by the depreciation allowance of the vehicle & loan interest costs .

There is a personal tax liability which will vary dependent on the cost and environmental efficiency of the car you choose. A rough guide would be £1500-£2500 per year.

Note there is a category of vehicle where this is significantly reduced i.e. vans - there is a fixed much smaller liability on this. The interesting thing is that the definition of a van does not exclude many main stream cars - if you have ever seen a landrover without back windows - someone is getting a luxury car in a very tax efficient way.

If you were to purchase a car with removable seats - the tax man is not going to know exactly what you are using the car for (your accountant will be able to fill you in on the details).

If you dont want to buy a vehicle through the company, you can get some money back by you charging your company for business miles, the revenue has set rates allowable but if you are buying a new vehicle I would stongly recommend doing it through the company.

Hope this helps

Rich

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:42 AM

I'm not very streetwise when it comes to tax...erm...enhancement. In this case it looks like there could be some; I really do do need to see my accountant sharpish.

Thanks Rich. :clap:

Regards,
Simon

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

Simon,
Better still, go on corporate lease financing and charge the depreciation (should be based on accelerated amortization rate) and charge against your taxable profits sooner than you wish all this while...........then do the hive off :thumbup: :thumbup: :spoton: :beer: :clap:

Hey! the accountant does not tell you all these for free.......humm! wonder if they know how to go about it :uhm:

Income Revenue Dept ...... :crybaby: :doh:

Charles Chew

Edited by charleschew, 03 August 2005 - 02:41 PM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:55 PM

Better still, go on corporate lease financing and charge the depreciation (should be based on accelerated amortization rate) and charge against your taxable profits sooner than you wish all this while...........then do the hive off :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :spoton:  :beer:  :clap: 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charles you really are multi talented. :clap:

Regards,
Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users