a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

Dear All,

I miss the off-topic conversation on this forum. So I guess I'll start it.

I am waiting for some coolz movies on this year. After seeing the schedule, looks like Transformers, Ice Age, HP, Angel&Demon, and X-Men definitely on my must-list.

Anyway, here is the 2009 schedule:
http://www.film-rele...hedule-2009.php

What about you? What kind of movie that you like?

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

Angels and Demons!!! Where the Wild Things Are!!!! Can´t wait!
I love all the Bourne movies, mostly suspense movies.
And I think they´re also doing a movie based on the book "The Feast of the Goat" by Mario Vargas Llosa, which talks about Trujillo, a dictator from the Dominican Republic. I can´t even get hold of the book. Seems like it´s sold out at the local bookstores.
Any movie by M. Night Shyamalan: wierd beyond belief, and that´s precisely why I like them.
Did anyone else enjoy "The Constant Gardener"? WoW!!! Got me wondering if stuff like this is happening in my country too.

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:04 AM

Dear MRios,

Thanks for the reply. Wow, I dont know you are such a great movie fan. Shyamalan is a great director indeed, and I am also expecting of his new movies. Well, allthough I didnt go well along with his "The Village", but "The Happening" really turns me into his admirer again.

Yup Angel&Demon surely is expected. I am a bit dissapointed with the Da Vinci Code, not giving so much detail as it book. But Tom Hanks quite play well as Langdon, so I am much waiting for the next adventure ;)

Regards,

Arya

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

With three kids I never get to go to the movies much (to see what I want), but I’m really going to make an effort to see Slumdog Millionaire. The Director Danny Boyle is from round the corner to where I live, well a few miles. Not that he lives here now he’s a multi award winning movie megastar.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:04 AM

Dear Simon,

The Slumdog Millionare surely a worth-to-watch movie. Despite the controversial side of the movie (even in its own country), the movie is wins 8 Oscar categories include the Best Pictures. You wont regret it ;)

BTW, you can take your kids to watch the 3rd Ice Age movie, seems quite entertaining. Well, I admit I much prefer the 1st one rather than the 2nd Ice Age, but I hope the 3rd will be funnier than the prequel.

Regards,

Arya

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

BTW, you can take your kids to watch the 3rd Ice Age movie, seems quite entertaining. Well, I admit I much prefer the 1st one rather than the 2nd Ice Age, but I hope the 3rd will be funnier than the prequel.

I will for sure Arya. I love the kids ones really. My favourites are Wallace and Gromit, even more so than the Pixar movies like Toy Story. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit was fantastic.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

Dear Simon,

If you do love Toy Story, then I guess you love the "A Bug's Life" too. "Wall-E" is also a great movie for kids. Its simple but touching... (yeah right....). Anyway, The Wallace and Gromit is very coooolz ;) but I am afraid it wont be played in here... The commercial side gain the upperhand :p But I hope the DVD version will come up in here.

Regards,

Arya

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Geethanjali Puppala

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hi,
I love to watch " Finding Nemo".
regards,
Geetha

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

i'm looking forward to watching " knowing"

went to see "Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" ..... very sobering film.

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

I dont like movie much.. i just go to movie to watch interesting movie like "The lord of the ring".... I see that different background idea between western movies (America / hollywood) with eastern movies (China, japan etc).. most of western movies the idea come from imagination of the director / producer (futuristic or just dream) in contrast with eastern that more realistic live around the director/producer.. I remember, if I not mistake, when the lord of the ring be number one , in Iran i see the different movie " children of heaven", that 2 different idea, one is came from imagine and more animatic film, the other one is more realistic live...

But both of film is th best film that i saw until now... :gitane:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

Dear Arya,

If the selections in this thread are representative, I am obviously no longer in the mainstream.

Must admit I hv never heard of many of the previous quoted movies. The majority of the recent movies (including many Oscar nominees) which I have watched have disappointed me. Maybe I’ve become less tolerant to plot holes. I agree with you that the book of Da Vinci Code is far more satisfying than the film, this is not so unusual of course, although sometimes the film is successfully re-oriented to avoid such comparisons, eg James Bond middle period.

In no particular order, some frequently re-watched favourites are Chinese (mainly Gong-Li), sci-fi (2001, Star Wars [early], Star Trek [middle]), spy-gangster (Godfather 1&2, Bourne Identity, 007 [mainly SC group] ), Cowboy (Fistful of Dollars, Shane), “Drama” (Fabulous Baker Boys, Remains of the Day, Basic Instinct, The Lover), Romantic/ R.Comedy (Pretty Woman, Shakespeare in Love [first half], Sense and Sensibility[2nd half], Bridget Jones Diary[!!]), Humour (Animal House, American Pie[1st]).

Comparatively, I find many recent TV series more successful, eg The Sopranos, Mad Men, Big Bang, 2 and a Half Men.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:51 AM

Dear All,

Thank you for sharing. Hmmm... the discussion is getting wide....

Finding Nemo is a great movie, but most of people consider its only for kid. And (in my point of view) that moment used with well by Dreamworks when they launch "A Fish Tale". But to be honest, even I am recognized as 'adult' at that moment, I prefer Finding Nemo.... However, the eternal 'fight' between Disney-Pixar and Dreamworks is still goes on...

I dont have any clue about "Knowing" and "Boy in the Striped Pyjamas". Maybe after a quick browse I can get some. Unfortunately we face diificulties to get "qualified" movies in here. Most of theatres only showing the Box Office movies :( .

LOTR.. which one AS Nur? I prefer the "The Two Towers" rather than two others. The battle seems so.. epic and heroic.... Children of Heaven is inspiring and touching. Like it too. It said that "The Kite Runner" is going to be filmed (or already filmed?). I guess it will score greater than the Children of Heaven.

If the selections in this thread are representative, I am obviously no longer in the mainstream.

Does it stated for Hollywood Movies? Box Office Movies? Or...? I understand your anxious. Most of the movies right now is only pursuing for commercial purpose. But some of them still good. Try "Benjamin Button", a bit boring, but its fine for me. Or maybe you like "The Wrestler"? Mickey Rourke plays well IMO. On the other side, "The Dark Knight" scores award and box office at the same time. Dont worry, hope is still exist... BTW, a new Star Trek is goin to pop up on this year. Hope you enjoy it. Some controversial movie like "2012" also published on this year.

Regards,

Arya

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

I kind of agree with Charles most popular movies seem to me to have obvious plots or trot out the same stuff in a different package. I also have to admit that I'm an old grumpy fuddy duddy who doesn't watch a lot of movies, so I could be wrong.

If this is broadened from 2009 to favourite film of all time I'll go for three. In no particular order:

1. Kind Hearts and Coronets
2. It's a Wonderful Life
3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

It seems "Feast of the Goat" was released in 2006!!!
I remember last year there was a big controversy because of the "Kite Runner" being filmed.
So I guess those are 2 movies I´m not gonna watch because they are not coming to my country. I agree with Arya: most movies that come here are the big Hollywood ones.
As for children´s movies: my favorite so far is Madagascar 2. I absolutely adore the penguins.
There´s a part where they´re flying on a reconstructed airplane (lift off mechanism provided by rubber bands) and one of them tells the penguin leader that there´s a red light that keeps blinking. The leader says "Hum!!! It seems very pretty and slightly hypnotic. Pass me the manual."
The other one hands him an extremely thick manual, which the leader uses to destroy the blinking light.
Why does this sound something like my job, I wonder???

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

Dear Simon,

Errrr... It looks like you are a good pair with my Dad.... No offence... ;) To be frankly, I even believe that I was in a state of "loving" such movie like: "Sound of Music" or "Gone with the Wind".... And dont forget the "Ben Hoor" too.... It's all because of my Dad... Apparently, this syndrome also affecting my music 'taste' too, you might be surprised to hear me hummings few songs from Bee Gees and The Beatles, or even ABBA....

Dear Mrios,

Ah... Madagascar... Nice one... Ben Stiller surely do some action again. I am waiting for his role at "Night at The Museum 2". Jade Pinkett Smith also plays well on the movie. Her sexy voice surely bring some atmosphere to the movie ;) And yes, you are right, the penguins are totally mess....

Regards,

Arya

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

HeatherP

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

Try 'I love you, Man'. Supposed to be great! :biggrin:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

Errrr... It looks like you are a good pair with my Dad.... No offence... ;) To be frankly, I even believe that I was in a state of "loving" such movie like: "Sound of Music" or "Gone with the Wind".... And dont forget the "Ben Hoor" too.... It's all because of my Dad... Apparently, this syndrome also affecting my music 'taste' too, you might be surprised to hear me hummings few songs from Bee Gees and The Beatles, or even ABBA....

Going seeing Monsters V's Aliens with the kids his weekend.. Maybe I have more kudos now? :smile: I don't have high expectations of the movie.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

dear Arya,

And dont forget the "Ben Hoor"

Indeed, the chariot race is unmatched IMO (although I hv never seen matrix3 :biggrin: )

And as for the BeeGees - Saturday Night Fever with the electrifying young Travolta

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

Dear All,

I watch some "representative" movies again on last weekend. First one is "Push". I think its' a quite good movie, not just an average super-heroes movie. No wonder Fanning was "willing" to play on the movie.

Second one is "The Strangers", with Liv Tyler as the main star. Quite spooky, but I am expecting to see ghost instead of freak killers... Well yea I admit that I am not reading its spoiler first... But the "based on true event" statement makes me really shivering....

To Simon: Maybe your kids love "Dragonball:Evolution" too? As for myself, I dont like it too much. Its not resembling the real manga! But of course I am sure the royalty grant wont make Akira Toriyama raise any objection;)

Regards,

Arya

PS: I was shocked when I know that the one who singing "Saturday Night Fever" has a beard!!!

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

Hi Arya!
Now that you mention Ben Hur, in my country the local TV channels play all the Bible related movies during Holy Week, Ben Hur being one of them and of course The Ten Commandments. I had an uncle who took it as a religious duty to watch all of them EVERY YEAR!
Simon:
My kids loved The Curse of the Were Rabbit! I think lots of the puns and jokes got lost in the translation though. I wonder if there´ll be more Wallace and Gromit movies coming here??? You´ll be pleased to know that the Science Museum in London will have a Wallace and Gromit exhibition hall, to inspire children to become inventors.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

Hi Arya!
Now that you mention Ben Hur, in my country the local TV channels play all the Bible related movies during Holy Week, Ben Hur being one of them and of course The Ten Commandments. I had an uncle who took it as a religious duty to watch all of them EVERY YEAR!

LOL

Simon:
My kids loved The Curse of the Were Rabbit! I think lots of the puns and jokes got lost in the translation though. I wonder if there´ll be more Wallace and Gromit movies coming here??? You´ll be pleased to know that the Science Museum in London will have a Wallace and Gromit exhibition hall, to inspire children to become inventors.

They've been replaying W & G films the last few days over here. I've been introducing my youngest son to the delights. Like them or not there’s no denying the brilliant creativity and technical skill of making them.

BTW I went to see Monsters V’s Aliens last week with my older boys. For anyone who’s interested the Monsters win. Very predictable but I suppose mildly amusing (at times). It’s more bonding with my lads and a chance to stuff my face with popcorn and I really mean that. :smile:

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:41 AM

I am very much waiting for "WATCHMEN" on this month.... :2cool: The "Fast and Furious" sequel didnt goes too much for me... I am still in love with the "Tokyo Drift". :gleam:

Regards,

Arya

PS: Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, Wild Wild West (original ver), early James Bond and Indiana Jones... The list rolls on... :drunk:

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:22 AM

Dear Arya,

BTW, don’t see any (non-futuristic) war movies mentioned in the previous posts. Or straight horror movies. Probably a good thing although no shortage of gore in some of the others. I still remember watching one of the early Curse of the “Mummy” series, bad dreams for years. Similarly yr original 2009 posted list seems to have almost none of the above, judged by name only. Depressing economics promote cheerful movies perhaps.

Personally, I’m still waiting for Harry Potter and the Sub-Prime Monster.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

a_andhika

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

Dear Charles C.,

Now you've mention it... Yeah I thought some 'spice' was lost in our conversation. Here are 2 links from About.com regarding horror / suspense movies:

http://horror.about....9theatrical.htm

http://horror.about....sed_in_2009.htm

Which one do you like? A bloody grizzly grueling movie, or some spooky ghost movie?

Cant find a good movie about "non high-tech" war. Perhaps "The Other" - its a movie too- can help us? And please take a note that there is no such thing as literally non high-tech war movie on these days. Considering the computer graphic is so great to make hundred thousands of soldiers and epic wars. So please dont expect any "Ben Hur" movie again....

Regards,

Arya

IF
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:04 AM

Dear Arya,

A continuation of yr enterprising thread.
Noticed this Nov 2008 article predicting hit movies of 2009 –

http://entertainment...icle5089354.ece

Takes some effort to scroll through 10 pgs so I extracted the text in the attached word doc. Many of the info. links still work so I left them in. Some of their numbering is a little odd in places (maybe some of the original inclusions disappeared without trace :smile: ).

Attached File  50__Times_predicted__biggest_movies_of_2009.doc   163.5KB   31 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

PS the captioned-linked article on the relationship between Anjelica Huston and Jack (Nicholson) / Ryan (O’Neal) is pretty fascinating reading also. ;)
http://entertainment...icle5992398.ece

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users