Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

I have recently been through a very thorough customer audit. I'm afraid the company I work for had delusions of grandeur. After having no Hygiene Manager for over 9 months then employing me 3 months ago they expected to pass a hygiene audit first time.

My line manager was keen to push this through and thought we were on to a winner. I told him that in no uncertain terms that we were going to be lucky if they agreed to give us the chance to supply them but on the condition we changed certain things in an agreed timeframe.

I had upped my staff on shift in preparation for the audit from 5 to 6. The night before the audit my boss said to me - "make sure that once we are safely through this audit you drop your staff levels again"

The audit went disasterously. An Apple Brandy bottle was found in a storage area and when removing machinery panels during the hygiene audit the engineer that was with us had a tough time get one panel off. It took 20mins and when removed it was incredibly dirty.

In his summing up the auditor said that the problem was only 10% the responsibility of the hygiene team and 90% failings in the engineering design of the machinery. He said the machines had been designed to carry out the production function but no consideration had been given to actually cleaning them.

He also asked about my staff levels. When told I only had 6 people on everynight he suggested we doubled or even tripled that. My bosses face was an absolute picture!

Pure ignorance, was the line manager in the closing meeting to hear it straight from the auditor?

By the way do you hold BRC Certfication or certification to some other standard?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users