• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:57 AM

Hello all,

We are co-operative dairy sector going to face 22000 certification audit next month.
One pre-audit issue required - " The rationale for the chosen critical limits to be documented " as per clause 7.6.3

It is different from the validation of control measures ? How to address it ?

can anybody help?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:52 PM

Can anyone help Ana out with this one?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Erasmo

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 135 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:34 AM

Hello all,

We are co-operative dairy sector going to face 22000 certification audit next month.
One pre-audit issue required - " The rationale for the chosen critical limits to be documented " as per clause 7.6.3

can anybody help?

Hi,
It is the same requirement (8.2), but you have to show the validation protocol for each CCP.
I hope this help.

Please make sure that the auditor assess all validation activities during the stage 1 audit. it is important that all questions and differences in validation activities be reviewed in the ST1 audit.

According to ISO-22003. (9.2.3.1.2) the validation has to ve assessedin the ST1 audit.

Saludos.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

I include this in with my validation because in my mind validation is not only proving your CCP can work but proving the critical limits proposed are sensible; so, for example, on the slightly thorny question of test card / stick size, I use the FDA document as the basis of my rationale.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

Dear ana,

In the absence of an ISO definition, wiki gives for "rationale" -

1. Fundamental reasons; the basis.
2. An exposition of principles or reasons.

IMO, one can (here) equate this to "validation" if one wishes (similar to Erasmo, I think :smile: ). So the answer to yr question is that you hv to explain why the values you hv selected for yr critical limits are "valid", eg already published and proven, legislatory, proven by you (with data available), etc

"control measure" as such is a general term unless you specify for what, eg ccp whatever.

Validating the critical limits would normally (in traditional HACCP) simply be part of the triangular routine for validating a ccp together with its associated control measure. ISO 22000 successfully blurs the whole topic although it does at least discuss the way to validate (8.2).

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Erasmo

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 135 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

Dear ana,

In the absence of an ISO definition, wiki gives for "rationale" -

1. Fundamental reasons; the basis.
2. An exposition of principles or reasons.

IMO, one can (here) equate this to "validation" if one wishes (similar to Erasmo, I think :smile: ). So the answer to yr question is that you hv to explain why the values you hv selected for yr critical limits are "valid", eg already published and proven, legislatory, proven by you (with data available), etc

"control measure" as such is a general term unless you specify for what, eg ccp whatever.

Validating the critical limits would normally (in traditional HACCP) simply be part of the triangular routine for validating a ccp together with its associated control measure. ISO 22000 successfully blurs the whole topic although it does at least discuss the way to validate (8.2).

Rgds / Charles.C

Charles,
There is a definition (guidance):
Rationale: exposition of principles or reasons.

I'm attaching the document.

Guidance on the Terminology used in ISO 9001and ISO 9004

Attached Files

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

dear Erasmo,

thks for the info. I guess that's where wiki got it from. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ana

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:22 AM

It has cleared my mind now.

Thank you charles ,Thanks everybody.

Ana

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

It is the same requirement (8.2), but you have to show the validation protocol for each CCP. I hope this help.

It would appear that under the "process approach", the prospective validation approach is implied here however IMO this is viable under certain circumstances. Personally, I would prefer the retrospective approach or the concurrent method where data implementation is available.

But on the same note, validation under ISO9K is different from ISO22K as the acceptable tolerance level pertaining to food risks cannot be compared on the same platform.

Charles, if you are a user of ISO22000 I would believe your opinion would be different.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

Dear Charles Chew,

Nice to hear from you.

Charles, if you are a user of ISO22000 I would believe your opinion would be different.

Well, based on the progressive intelligibility of BRC, I suspect my opinion might be similar but it's true that my flexibility to demonstrate it would almost certainly decrease. :smile: Maybe the next version of I22000 will change my mind, especially if they delete Oprps.

It is the same requirement (8.2), but you have to show the validation protocol for each CCP. I hope this help.

It would appear that under the "process approach", the prospective validation approach is implied here however IMO this is viable under certain circumstances. Personally, I would prefer the retrospective approach or the concurrent method where data implementation is available.

Possibly because I'm not a user, I do confess that I didn't understand the significance of the above paragraphs. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Buddy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:58 PM

I include this in with my validation because in my mind validation is not only proving your CCP can work but proving the critical limits proposed are sensible; so, for example, on the slightly thorny question of test card / stick size, I use the FDA document as the basis of my rationale.

GMO,

You mention 'the FDA document', how can this be accessed?

Thanks!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users