• Quick Navigation
Photo

Recent RASFF notifications - query on chorizo recall?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Snitzel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

I do not know if this is the appropriate place for the post or the Microbiology forum, anyway...

I was taking a look at recent RASFF notifications (RASFF is the EU alert system for foodstuffs etc) and noticed an allert coming from the UK, concerning chorizo (spanish salami like product), in which they detected strains of Bacillus pumilus and Bacilus subtilis. The detection resulted in the recall of the product from the market.

The question is simple: why did the UK authorities check for Bacillus??? is it dictated in UK legislation? in the EU legislation (2073/2005, 1441/2007) it is not included though

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:26 AM

Dear Snitzel,

Nice to hear from you.

I presume this is the incident (4th on 1st section) to which you are referring –

http://ec.europa.eu/...k28-2009_en.pdf

It appears from the value stated (and the introductory text explanation of terminology) that a regulation does exist although I hv no idea what/where it is. May be of national rather than EC origin as you suggest (which can supercede of course.)

I also noticed that some EC regulations for B.subtilis do exist but (as I guess you already know) didn’t immediately see anything for chorizo ( or related sausages). Eg another product is here –

http://eur-lex.europ...008:0010:EN:PDF
)

I did notice a few refs to studies of possible negative effects from the Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus pumilus /chorizo interaction but not so recent – eg

http://www.pubmedcen...gi?artid=520883
(full article)

I didn’t examine the EC number regs you quoted yet, rather hard work IMEX and I’m lazy. :smile:

Some more detailed searching maybe necessary, eg UK / FSA website.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

edlasen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Latvia
    Latvia

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:51 AM

Dear Snithel,
in the alert notification 2009.0878 they made an reference to EU regulation 178/2002 (14 article).
Best regards, Ed

Snitzel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Dear Charles and edlasen thanks for the replies,
the legislation links/ references you posted do not refer to ready to eat products and as far as I know there is no EU legislation that refers to B. pumilus and subtilis for ready to eat (from humans) products.
Unfortunately I couldnt find any relevant UK legislation.
The strange thing is that regulation 202/2009 apparently accepts the use of the bacillus strain in animal feed, whereas there is an opinion from EFSA that mentions that it is a potential pathogen.
Its very confusing...

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users