Kamwenji Njuma

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 47 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Food safety,Quality,Hygiene and Agricultural consultancy.HACCP,BRC Food,ISO22000.ISO9001,GLOBALG.A.P,Etc

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:37 PM

Hi All,

What is your stand on use of hand sanitizers instead of handwashing on food safety.

Regards,
Jeremy
Kenya

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

I´m against hand sanitizers in place of handwashing. There´s no rinsing step, so even if you are able to kill a large percentage of germs (it´s never 100%) with alcohol gel, how do you wipe all of them off, since the procedure never includes wiping off with a towel? Then there´s hands that are visibly dirty. You end up with a sticky mix of dirt and alcohol that you can´t wipe off, since there are no towels close to alcohol gel dispensers.
As a complement of handwashing, I do agree with sanitizers. However most people use it as a substitute, having a false sense of security.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,272 posts
  • 1305 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:25 AM

I´m against hand sanitizers in place of handwashing. There´s no rinsing step, so even if you are able to kill a large percentage of germs (it´s never 100%) with alcohol gel, how do you wipe all of them off, since the procedure never includes wiping off with a towel?

:thumbup:

Totally agree MRios. Sanitisation can only be used where hands are already visibly clean such as on filling lines prior to handling packaging etc. IMO at factory entrances and other key areas there should always be effective handwashing facilities available. The only possible alternative is wipes that are soaked in sanitiser.

Regards,

Tony :smile:

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

i put hand sanitizer on hygiene zone 1 ( the most risk area).. and i use alcoholic gel.. thats no rinse water used..
and fow handwashing i just put soap / detergen w/o parfume on main entrance before go to production area

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:27 AM

I would consider hand washing in the right way as a suitable option compared to hand sanitizers. I have found an interesting link below.

What are alcohol based hand sanitizers?
The term hand sanitizer encompasses many types of gels, wipes, foams or liquid solutions. These products typically contain ethanol, isopropanol or n-propanol in concentrations ranging from 40 to 95 per cent. The alcohol immediately destroys the bacteria and viruses that it contacts. Some sanitizers may also contain a moisturizer to help combat the dryness caused by the alcohol. Because of their ease of use and relative convenience, alcohol-based sanitizers have grown in popularity, and some people even use them as a substitute for hand washing.

How effective are hand sanitizers?
Research has shown that sanitizers are effective at killing and inactivating most bacteria and viruses. Alcohol-based sanitizers are recommended as a way to help prevent the spread of many common pathogens like tuberculosis and foodborne illnesses such as norovirus. These sanitizers are, however, not as efficient as hand washing in reducing numbers of bacterial spores, protozoan oocysts, and certain non-enveloped (non-lipophilic) viruses. Some of these viruses include HIV, Hepatitis A, and rhinovirus. It has been shown that sanitizers containing moisturizers may lead to the accumulation of more bacteria on your skin.
Past research has suggested that hand sanitizers don’t work as well on visually dirty hands. However, recent research, such as that done by Don Schaffner from Rutgers University, has shown that sanitizers can still significantly reduce the number of bacteria even with debris on the hands.
There is currently no research that shows alcohol-based sanitizers contribute to the development of resistant bacteria.

Can hand sanitizers be used as a substitute for hand washing?
The differences between hand washing and using alcohol-based sanitizers are insignificant concerning pathogenic bacteria. However, hand washing is more effective in the removal of viruses, spores and fungi. So no, hand sanitizers are not substitutes. Hand washing is still the champion of clean hands and preventing the spread of infectious diseases.

Which soap you choose will also make a difference in how clean your hands become. Recent studies have shown that soaps containing antibacterial agents do a better job at destroying colony forming units than plain soap. However, there is evidence that the overuse of such agents may lead to resistant strains.

What should I look for in a sanitizer?

When shopping for a sanitizer you should look for one containing at least 60 per cent alcohol. A sanitizer with n-propanol is generally only found in Europe, and is slightly less effective against bacteria and viruses than both ethanol and isopropanol. Ethanol is more effective against viruses than isopropanol. Isopropanol is more effective against bacteria than ethanol because it is less volatile. Because he difference between their efficacies is not significant , either one will suffice when used in an adequate concentration.

http://barfblog.foodsafety.ksu.edu/2007/12/articles/food-safety-communication/ifsn-hand-sanitizer-fact-sheet/

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Kamwenji Njuma

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 47 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Food safety,Quality,Hygiene and Agricultural consultancy.HACCP,BRC Food,ISO22000.ISO9001,GLOBALG.A.P,Etc

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:44 PM

Dear All,

Thanks everyone for the input so far.Its becoming an interesting topic to chat about.My stand is that i would prefer handwashing to hand sanitising.Sanitising should come after handwashing.

Regards,
Jeremy

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:51 PM

My stand is that i would prefer handwashing to hand sanitising.Sanitising should come after handwashing.

I would agree with that too, either handwashing alone or handwashing followed by hand sanitizer

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:20 AM

great discussion.. thanks that make me see more clear..

Edited by AS NUR, 30 October 2009 - 12:21 AM.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users