Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:51 AM

Latest ISO survey reveals sharp rise in use of standard for food safety.
Implementation of ISO management system standards for food safety has sharply increased, as revealed by The ISO Survey of Certifications – 2008.

Certification to ISO 22000:2005, which gives the requirements for food safety management systems, shot up by more than 96 % during 2008.

Up to the end of December 2008, at least 8 102 ISO 22000:2005 certificates had been issued in 112 countries and economies. The 2008 total represents an increase of 3 970 (+96 %) over 2007 when the total was 4 132 in 93 countries and economies.

http://www.iso.org/i...m_campaign=News

Edited by Zeeshan, 15 December 2009 - 07:53 AM.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

Latest ISO survey reveals sharp rise in use of standard for food safety.
Implementation of ISO management system standards for food safety has sharply increased, as revealed by The ISO Survey of Certifications – 2008.

Certification to ISO 22000:2005, which gives the requirements for food safety management systems, shot up by more than 96 % during 2008.

Up to the end of December 2008, at least 8 102 ISO 22000:2005 certificates had been issued in 112 countries and economies. The 2008 total represents an increase of 3 970 (+96 %) over 2007 when the total was 4 132 in 93 countries and economies.

http://www.iso.org/i...m_campaign=News

Thanks for giving us a 'heads up' on this Zeeshan. I think ISO 22000 has been a slow burner, so I can understand the big % increase on the year. Now we have FSSC 22000 (PAS 220, ISO 22000 combo) I think we will see a big jump next year. Then again FSSC 22000 might well take certifications off ISO 22000 as companies will be certified to FSSC 22000. Not sure how it works exactly. Anyone?

If you were ISO or one of the ISO 22000 development team would you be happy with those figures?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for giving us a 'heads up' on this Zeeshan. I think ISO 22000 has been a slow burner, so I can understand the big % increase on the year. Now we have FSSC 22000 (PAS 220, ISO 22000 combo) I think we will see a big jump next year. Then again FSSC 22000 might well take certifications off ISO 22000 as companies will be certified to FSSC 22000. Not sure how it works exactly. Anyone?

If you were ISO or one of the ISO 22000 development team would you be happy with those figures?

Regards,
Simon

Besides gaining the commercial benefits, IMO, ISO, at least, put the foundation stone for the building of internationally recognized food safety management system. Years ago when ISO 9001 was launched, there were many quality system in existence. ISO 9001 has now gained an international reputation as best standard for QMS and proved itself as the foundation for any other management system. Likewise, I think ISO 22000 will gain more or less the same status in the future.

By stating this, I did not mean that standards like BRC or FSSC etc would gain less reputation. IMO, structure of almost every standards is adapted from the design that is standardized by ISO. Besides all controversies and arrival of new standards, in near future ISO 22000 is likely to be used as foundation standard for food safety management system. This would be similar to ISO 9001 which is being used as foundation standard for quality management system.

Many organizations have developed or aim to develop their FSMS that is equally complaint to other standards along with ISO 22000. So figures as provided by ISO does not show the popularity of standard as best standard. It just shows the popularity as foundation standard.

Regards:
Zeeshan.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users