• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on gettin into food laboratory work.... I noticed that most of these kind of jobs arent advertised!

I have an Honours degree in Food Science, currently workin in QA!

Anyone any idea's?

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:43 AM

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on gettin into food laboratory work.... I noticed that most of these kind of jobs arent advertised!

Anyone any idea's?

Dear QA 123

Before you go to the lab you have to :

1. Know what is the safety lab practices.. that make you safe to work in lab.

2. Know what is procedure in lab.. That avoid you to do wrong job (analysis) in lab.

3. Know what is documents and records in lab.. That make you can trace your job and your record of analysis

4. and the last is you have to know where is your lab.. that avoid you enter at the wrong room.. :biggrin:

thats my tips .. hope can help you ..

cheers

AS Nur

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:12 AM

Hi all,

Anyone any idea's?

Hi There

Food Manufacture is usually a good source of advertised jobs in the food industry.
I expect it to be quiet at the moment and pick up in the New Year.

Regards,

Tony :smile:

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:33 AM

As best described by AS NUR, continuation:

Know about all equipments, instruments are working condition and properly calibrated, specially check balances/scales.

Exhaust fan and EFK is available in food lab

First-aid box, fire blanket and extinguishers available and service & maintenance up to date

PPE - protective equipments like goggles, suitable gloves, lab coat, hair-head cover, etc.

Procedures and policies to know about handling and food analysis, system requirements...

Sign boards, caution and warning, chemicals storage,

continued...

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

Hi all,

Anyone any idea's?

As Tony-C pointed out, Food Manufacturer is good. Also send a speculativbe CV to any food manufacturers you'd like to target. Get onto their websites and look to see what jobs they have advertised. You can also register with the agencies (they'll all be advertising in Food Manufacturer)

I will say one thing, please just be realistic about your employability. When i did my degree, i was a mature student and studied part time. I was working as a Quality Manager at the time. The number of students who thought that once they had their degree they'd be able to walk into a job on £30k a year was frightening, that very rarely happens, even if you got a first! You'll have to be patient and put into practice what you learnt at college. Starting in a food lab is a good basis. I think that the majority of factory managers that i know started in a lab of some sort and worked their way up.

Good luck with the hunt

Caz x

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:31 PM

Dear 123,

Although you don't exactly say what kind of QA you are doing, in one way I would say you hv already passed one of the hardest steps - you hv a work history!

It depends somewhat on what you mean by "food laboratory work". Chemical, microbiological, analytical, private production, Government, milk, minerals, anything. ??? :smile: I'm not in UK and I guess the options (and the competition) may depend on the location.

I continued to utilise my ex University's resources for some time after I stopped studying. Nobody seemed to worry too much. :smile: In addition to the previously mentioned ideas I also invested in publications of the lists of member companies of various Chambers of Commerce. These cover an amazing range of products / services IMEX and often include very useful summaries of the types of work involved enabling a customised application to be prepared. They also give contacts in many cases. Joining "organisations", eg "Society for XXX" is another route into opportunities if you hv any specific orientation. Personally I then used laborious manual mailing procedures but I guess this has now been superceded by computerised routines which variably inject the necessary "uniqueness" claimed to be so important in resumes.

I agree with Caz's comments and wud add that in many cases, if you hv serious ambitions, it is probably necessary to mentally maintain the "stepping stone" theory into yr initial chain of work experience.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

jinx-cobanli

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

Hi,

There are several ways, but remember you have the qualification but no exp which will reflect in salary? firms who take on new techs are RHM big firm rubbish money but exp gained. Check out yourfoodjob.com and foodmanjobs.co.uk they advertise within the trade. Take some advice from recruit firms. There are many so be selective CPA in Hendon London are good if you can speak to Gail or magenta based in kingston and ask for toni or possibly matchtech?
The other way is to go and work in the labs at a hospital good exp and recognised in the food trade? Lastly a couple more firms noon foods and mack multiples may be able to help? I hope you are successful?

Kind Regards

Jinx

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

Good advice Jinx - welcome to the forums.

:welcome:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

poppysnoss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

Did you get yourself sorted with lab work?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users