• Quick Navigation
Photo

What detergent and procedures for blood cleaning?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Sisiv

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:17 PM

Hi There,

I am new for HACCP and working on it very hard. I hope I could get your help. Thank you all ahead.
We are a rice packaging company, which means the processing is simple and all dry.
Our company is trying to get HACCP certificate recently. In our GMP manual, I mentioned that whenever accident occurs and causes bleeding, what we should do....bulabulabula~~
The auditor's questions are: 1. what refers me to use the method we are using to clean the blood. and 2. the detergent for cleaning blood, if it is the one targets for blood?

I should admit the method I wrote without any reference and the detergent was just regular hand soap.

My question is, after searching, I cannot find food plant like us needs to concern blood cleaning. You know, for freshmen like us, we always concern too much or too little. Could someone help me about: should I include the blood cleaning in our GMP program, only for accidental injuries? (Honestly, we never had once for years.)
On the other hand, if I do need to include it. Does anyone know what standard procedures I should refer to, and where I can find it? Thank you very much.

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

Hi Sisiv,

What do you actually mean with blood cleaning? From the work wear? From the work area? Or from the rice or packaging materials?

I mostly see only references to blue metal detectable plasters and covering of hand injuries with gloves.

Blood is protein, so any detergent to clean protein will do fine, I think. Do you use water and cleaning chemicals in your process or just air?

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

Dear Sisiv,

Remember blood is a rich source of nutrients for microorganisms, I would care of it if being spilled over work surfaces and sourrounding areas. Maybe your chemicals supplier has a good chemical to clean it and have a procedure too. Any packaging material or product should go to the trash can.

It might not be a frecuent situation, but if you have thought it could happen, then document it, so it will be easier to take action for anybody.

In the other hand, if it could happen, what severity does it have, would it be a CCP?

Regards,

FSSM

Edited by FSSM, 27 January 2010 - 09:10 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

Dear Sisiv,

2 quick comments.

(a) I hv never encountered an auditor comment on this. Perhaps yr enthusiasm in trying to detail every possibility was plaudable but misplaced. Too many auditor paper trails. :smile: Unless there is a related specific requirement in whatever standard you are seeking certification to in which case the auditor shud reference this.

(b) Regarding choice of detergent, I would initially consult yr detergent supplier. They hv the knowledge and their documentation is usually adequate validation. Not sure about yr specific case but i believe that for general food manufacturers in Canada an official list of approved detergents is available which presumably acts as a validation. Detergents not on the list are considered as unapproved. Any Canadians here welcome to correct me.

Rgds / Charles.C

BTW Welcome to the forum ! :welcome:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sisiv

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

Hi All,

Thank you for all the advices.
I know blood is dangerous (bacteria, virus, transmissible disease, etc)and that's why all information I find out are treating it too serious for us to apply. As I mentioned, in our plant, it most likely happens in an accidental injury of employees. And the "most likely" has never happened. So, I think I agree with Charles, I think too much.
Regarding the detergent suppliers, it is really hard for me to trust them. Every sales representative answers me " Yes/definitely...." when I ask " if this detergent can be used in cleaning blood in food plant". But when I ask for document backups, the answer I got usually is waiting forever.
Well. Thank you all.
Let me just change my written program without mentioning blood issue. Let's wait for auditor's feedback.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users