• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hi There

An article I found - bit out of date in that it refers to the old 1995 Food Hygiene regs but still a lot of relevant info.

Rosie

Attached File  Code_of_practice_for_food_handlers.pdf   161.37KB   66 downloads

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

Dear Rosie,

Many thks for this amazing document. It is one of the most prescriptive (daring?) lists I hv ever seen. I wonder how much of it still applies?. I admire the various justifications which are given but hope that the originators hv their validations available.

Hv extracted a few of the (IMO) controversial statements. The Appendix also contains some intriguing requirements regarding number of negative stool clearances.

My comments are capitalised in brackets.

Hand washing or sanitising facilities should be provided at the exit of tea rooms within production areas.
(TEA ROOMS ??)

To ensure good hand washing disciplines, personnel where possible should be channelled past the hand wash stations by the use of guard rails or other appropriate measures
(CATTLE ?)

Hands should be washed:- After smoking
(BUT DON’T SEE ANY REQUIREMENT FOR FOOD HANDLER, MOUTH CLOSURE ITEMS )

Ear plugs must be removed from packaging before being taken into production/manufacturing areas
(!!??)

Glove wearing is unnecessary for most food handling tasks and should be discouraged
(HMMM)

Employees must not be allowed to take protective clothing from the premises
All protective clothing must be laundered regularly. Home laundering by staff is not acceptable.
(HMMM)

Removal of protective clothing for toilet breaks and meal breaks may be required depending on local circumstances and practice.
( = GENERALLY NOT REQUIRED ??REALLY ??)

(THE WHOLE SECTION ON JEWELRY IS AMAZING IMO, I ENCLOSE A SAMPLE)
5.4 Acceptable Practice
5.4.1 Wearing of Jewellery
• Items of jewellery worn on non-exposed areas other than the hands, face, or foreams should be permitted, since they do not present a significant risk.
• Any item worn around the neck must be remain permanently covered by clothing, otherwise it must be removed. For example, a loose necklace which is exposed when leaning forward will present both a food safety risk from foreign body contamination and a health and safety risk from possible entanglement in machinery.
• The only items of jewellery which are permitted to be worn on the hands, forearms and head are:
- Plain tight fitting finger rings (without stones or ornate engraving)
- Continuous single piece sleeper earrings (depending on local circumstances and practice)
- Continuous plain wrist bangles worn for religious reasons (eg Karas)
• All other items of jewellery not included in the list above and wristwatches, must be removed. If there is a desire for the items to be kept on the person, they should be placed in a tied cloth bag, which can either be kept in a pocket or strung around the neck, beneath outer clothing.
• In the case of religious wrist bangles, there may be a requirement for the bangle to be covered by either an elastic cuff or some other restraining measure for health and safety reasons, depending upon relevant risk assessments performed under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations.
• Bracelets worn for on the wrist for putative medical reasons will not be permitted. There is no good evidence of their efficacy and they present a significant risk of falling into the product. As an alternative to being worn on the wrist, they may be worn around the ankle, providing they are covered by a sock or other hose, without presenting a food safety risk.

5.4.2 Body Piercing
• The piercing of non-exposed areas other than the hands, face, or forearms does not present a significant risk in the context of this policy.
• Items of jewellery worn in pierced areas on exposed parts the head are not permitted. Where jewellery has been removed from these areas, there must be no evidence of infection (redness or discharge) in the surrounding area.
• Piercing of the tongue may be permitted for food handlers, depending on local circumstances and practice (but may be unacceptable as a matter of business dress).

5.4.3 Infected Areas of Skin
• If a food handler develops infection on any exposed skin part, whether as a result of wearing jewellery, body piercing or for any other reason, he or she must be taken off food handling duties until the infection has completely resolved.
• If the individual is otherwise fit to work, they may be fit to work in a non-food handling capacity.

I would very much like to see the current equivalent Code of Practice. I noticed the word “diligence” does not appear anywhere.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

Hi Charles

Yes - I thought it contained good info on risk assessment.

I have one other more up to date document which does refer to that article - lots more info on various food borne disease:

Attached File  Irish_disease_surveillance___food_disease.pdf   488.75KB   30 downloads

Hope you find it helpful.

Rosie

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users