• Quick Navigation
Photo

Real Life Business Networking – How much do you do?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hello All,

Most of us spend a lot of time business networking in cyberspace on forums and with social media like facebook, twitter, linked-in and various other online networking platforms, but I wondered how much ‘real life’ business networking you do?

By real life business networking I mean exhibitions, conferences, seminars, training, benchmarking visits with other companies perhaps within your own business group or outside to other businesses and that could be inside or outside your industry sector. It may also include activities as a member of a professional body or institute.

I would be interested to know where you been recently and what plans you have this year?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

Hello All,

Most of us spend a lot of time business networking in cyberspace on forums and with social media like facebook, twitter, linked-in and various other online networking platforms, but I wondered how much ‘real life’ business networking you do?

By real life business networking I mean exhibitions, conferences, seminars, training, benchmarking visits with other companies perhaps within your own business group or outside to other businesses and that could be inside or outside your industry sector. It may also include activities as a member of a professional body or institute.

I would be interested to know where you been recently and what plans you have this year?

Regards,
Simon

I've spent a number of years in Industry, where I've worked from some very large multi site companies, both at a site level and at group level.During this time I've made many contacts. Both with people who are in technical positions, or with operational people and also with contractors / suppliers.

The joke is, where I am now, is that I always know somebody. For instance Tony C and I know a lot of people who are common to us both. Chances are, I actually might have met Tony in the past!! In fact today we have had a Moody engineer on site who I worked with 2 years ago on a project at a different company!

I have contractors such as our chemical supplier, lab consumables and pest control who have done work with me in the past. I know them and I trust the job that they do. In fact I have one supplier who refers people to me, and we are currently running a point scoring (favour) system! I'm sure i'll eventually get paid for offering advice with an IBC of Caustic!!
People that I have worked with in the past will still ring me up and ask me if I know or have something, especially relating to BRC (apparently I'm the queen of risk assessments) and if they've had an audit, we compare non-conformances! I'm not precious about my paperwork, or spending 5 minutes talking to someone who may have a problem to try and help them. and i find out what other people are up to.

I still actively network. I go to exhibitions, and seminars. in fact I was recently a guest speaker on rapid microbiological methods at CCFRA. I go to suppliers to do audits, I audit co-packers, service providers etc. I love training....my motto is "you have to look at the next job!", and i'm sure i'll be able to squeeze some training in this year.

(Luckily) in Wales, Food Industries are few and far between. WAG and UWIC often run seminars and I try to attend them where possible. It's a great way for networking with people within the Principality

I also use Facebook!! I would say that the majority of the people i have as friends i have either worked with in the past or was at Uni with.

And i also use IFSQN ;o)

Caz x

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

Well take this week for example

Monday - piano and swimming lessons.
Tuesday - start of run of 3 nights of child 2's school play - me doing tuck shop.
Wednesday night - as well as child 2's school play - child 1's spring concert.
Friday night - child 3's rainbows easter party.

Then they finish school for two weeks on Friday so me babysitting.

Get the picture - only networking I do and I am so grateful for it is IFSQN.

Rosie.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the input Rosie and Caz. I personally don't do as much 'real life' networking as I used to and would like to, what with running this place and having a family with three young children. My resolve is get to some exhibitions and perhaps look to do some further education this year. I'm thinking of six sigma black belt or MSC in Lean. I'd like to have an IFSQN seminar / exhibition one day. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

I'd like to have an IFSQN seminar / exhibition one day. Posted Image

This is interesting. Would this be on-line?

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:08 AM

I really interest to IFSQN.. that many helping people in this site that help me to solve my problem in real industry.. so ihope i can get business networking and i am sure that help me if some day i goin to somewhere...

and for seminar or exhibition.. i hope Simon can realize imediatelly...

Rgds from Indonesia

AS Nur

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:26 AM

I went to the GFSI meeting in DC in Feb and I may head up to the Food Safety Summit also in Washington DC) in April. It gets expensive, but as a consultant, I have to stay current, I have to network and get out as often as I can.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

This is interesting. Would this be on-line?

That was my initial thoguht Jean, but I have since spoken to some very big people who deal with this area and even in today's high tech world they believe face-to-face is still the best for touching and feeling and experiencing.

I really interest to IFSQN.. that many helping people in this site that help me to solve my problem in real industry.. so ihope i can get business networking and i am sure that help me if some day i goin to somewhere...

and for seminar or exhibition.. i hope Simon can realize imediatelly...

Rgds from Indonesia

AS Nur

Maybe not immediately but there is a plan AS Nur.

I went to the GFSI meeting in DC in Feb and I may head up to the Food Safety Summit also in Washington DC) in April. It gets expensive, but as a consultant, I have to stay current, I have to network and get out as often as I can.

Yes I can see it's really important for you to be up to date Cathy. Do you think they offer value for money?

I just missed Foodex in the UK, but I got the 'heads up' from a few friends who were visiting or exhibiting and it was a really good worthwhile exhibition. I'm a member of IOSH (Health & Safety) and I also missed their conference and expo last week. Some are expensive but also some are free, either way I need to get out more.

Regards,
Simon

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:58 AM

As for business networking:

Actively participation in Gulfood 2010 in Dubai February 21 - 24
Actively participation in Middle East Food Abu Dhabi April 26 - 28

Active user of IFSQN since last year (june 09) - network growing - more than 185 posts
Active user of LinkedIn since last year (oct. 09) - fastest growing network - more than 300 connections till date
Active user of slideshare since August 2007 - network growing - 205 followers and friends in touch

and at last

User of facebook - mostly slideshare contacts in facebook

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users