• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:41 PM

Dear friends,
I am damn sure that every one of us living in North America has been some way or other effected by the recent USDA recall of HVF & Black pepper. Can we share our learning experiences & as processors, how to safe guard ourselves from such future recalls from our suppliers?
thanks

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:32 AM

The background information on the HVP recall was interesting. The main issue seems to be that Salmonella was found and they did not have validation data for their lethality step in order to claim that any prosduct is safe. The Salmonella was found in product once - and only once (I think). There have been no illnesses, I think their main lesson - and one for anyone with a HACCP Plan - is that you must validate what you do.

As for avoiding recalls - it may not be possible! In an ideal world, strong systems that are audited internally and by 3rd party auditors (such as with GFSI certification) should help. In the mean time - have a recall plan in place, improve your traceability constantly to reduce the scope of a recall, minimize lot sizes as best as possible, and expect your suppliers to be at least as good as you are with your food safey systems.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

garryrana72

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

Yes Cathy,
The Salmonella was found in only one batch but the USDA forced the company to recall 6 months' production due to non validation of the kill step. Now, the problem is that the HVP produced by this particular company is being used by all sorts of processors through out North America. 6 months of production means this HVP has gone in tons of product, much of which has already been consumed. Now both USDA & CFIA are doing risk assessment on individual basis and deciding which final product is to be recalled. The issue now is many of the companies are not willing to let the finished product go in the market even if cleared by the risk assessment and are asking the manufacturers for the refund.
I agree with you that if the validation of the kill step would have been carried out, the situation would not have been so complex (surprisingly, company claiming a step as a kill step did'nt validate it though they are HACCP certified) but on the other hand, would the strong systems, GFSI, internal audits etc have prevented the Salmonella contamination of the batch? i.e. are we lacking the strong & better systems or are we not implementing our systems properly & such instances are occuring due to failures in the system?
Best wishes

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:47 AM

I think the only thing an internal audit may have caught is the lack of validation efforts. Many companies don't have Samonella monitoring programs because the pathogen just wasn't expected to be a problem in their type of product. I wish we couold prevent more and more issues but in the mean time, not knowing what to expect, we can work to be more prepared to handle consequences.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

garryrana72

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:22 PM

very well said