Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

With all the experience here from all over the world I'm sure everyone has a tale to tell.
I have one that I heard from a Certification Body auditor a few years back. It’s not a nice or funny story, but it is true.

The auditor had been auditing a grain factory in India; he was on his own, but the company was mob handed, they had the MD, Technical Manager, Quality Manager, a few administrators and three ex-army security guards with big sticks.

Whilst the entourage were walking down the corridor there was lady cleaning the floor, without any warning the MD kicked her out of the way. It gets worse...

When they entered a storage area the auditor noticed a big puddle on the floor. He asked “What’s that?”, “Condensation”, replied the MD. “From what?” asked the auditor.

It was 48C and the there was nothing around to explain the condensation.
Just then a little guy popped his head around the corner and the security guards immediately gave chase, caught him and roundly beat him with their sticks.

It transpired the worker had urinated on the floor and further investigations uncovered that the toilets were only for the Management and staff and all other workers had to go outside.

Like I said not a very nice story, but they did make progress and opened new toilets for all a short while later.

Sorry to start with such an incredible and sad story, but it is true.

Please share your stories.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Dale P

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

With all the experience here from all over the world I'm sure everyone has a tale to tell.
I have one that I heard from a Certification Body auditor a few years back. It’s not a nice or funny story, but it is true.

The auditor had been auditing a grain factory in India; he was on his own, but the company was mob handed, they had the MD, Technical Manager, Quality Manager, a few administrators and three ex-army security guards with big sticks.

Whilst the entourage were walking down the corridor there was lady cleaning the floor, without any warning the MD kicked her out of the way. It gets worse...

When they entered a storage area the auditor noticed a big puddle on the floor. He asked “What’s that?”, “Condensation”, replied the MD. “From what?” asked the auditor.

It was 48C and the there was nothing around to explain the condensation.
Just then a little guy popped his head around the corner and the security guards immediately gave chase, caught him and roundly beat him with their sticks.

It transpired the worker had urinated on the floor and further investigations uncovered that the toilets were only for the Management and staff and all other workers had to go outside.

Like I said not a very nice story, but they did make progress and opened new toilets for all a short while later.

Sorry to start with such an incredible and sad story, but it is true.

Please share your stories.

Wow!! That is horrible. I don't have anything nearly that interesting. I think the worst we had was an auditor that was a very ..um... LARGE gentleman come to audit our facility and he was unable to perform the audit to specification due to his physical limitations... He didn't even walk around the exterior of our facility (It must have looked like a bit far to travel on foot to him).
Not to mention he was an absolute jerk!

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

OK! Here is one of the other side of the table. I then was only auditor for 1 year.

I was conducting an audit for BRC at a apple sorting and packing company. The communication during the audit was bad. The persons interviewed did not answer my question, which make me re-questioning and when I still did not get an answer re-questioning again. They really made it very clear in non-verbal language that I was asking stupid things, that have never been asked before. It makes me quite unsure. Some where half way the audit I just asked how I should change my way of questioning. They say that it was not needed and everything was fine. We exceeded the audit time just because everything had to be asked 3 to 4 times. (example: "do you have a cleaning schedule?" "what do you mean?" "how do you plan the cleaning?""??? we don't we just clean it every week." "did you document that you clean every week?" "Why should I?"')
During the very late (2 hrs exceeded on a one day audit) closing meeting and after the non-conformities, I asked the manager How he thought that the audit was and we should do different during the next audit. He assured me that nothing had to be changed and that he found that I really did a great job. I really could not understand, why my feelings about the audit was so different, but on the other hand, I was glad it seems to be just my imagination.
But ..... the day after, very early in the morning my manager called me and asked me what went wrong during the audit. I told him. The company was very disappointed with my way of auditing and never wanted to see me again at their site.
I was shocked!

Now, some years later, I understand that sometimes there is no click between the auditor and the auditee, but back then I thought that everyone liked me. What I think is the most annoying, is that I have asked the customer directly for feedback and that he just did not use it to help me improve my qualities. He was not honoust to me. What does that say for the rest of the audit?

So, this is one that is in memory and now shared with you. I am sure that more will follow.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

I must admit that my experience of auditing an Indian factory is entirely different. It was for our own supllier approval. My boss and I were invited over to inspect the factory prior to us sourcing one of our main ingredients from them.

I went there expecting it to be a little less compliant that a UK (Organic) factory, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It was excellent. They treated their staff wonderfully. At lunch time, they all stopped work, and all the workers were fed. The management all sat with the workers for their lunch. In fact, I even sat with them, mind you, there wasn't much conversation!

When i went around the factory, they were taken aback a little that it was a woman conducting the audit, but every question i asked was answered, and by the time i reached the end of my factory tour i had collected a little entourage!

The factory was very clean, with cleaning schedules, PPM, Pest Control etc. Very good records (In English). In fact, they even had a signed, dated Quality statement displayed in the foyer of the factory.

At the end of my 2 day audit, the owner of the factory asked me, in front of my boss, if i would like to come to work with them, as they had been impressed by the way i had respected their customs in dealing with some of the staff. My Boss nearly had a fit, and said "No Way"! You never know, maybe i'll take him up on it!

Caz

Thanked by 1 Member:

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

Lies, bribes and weird NCR is very rare phenomena but fights i never heard anytime.

Story:

Once upon a time in a small town there was a meat factory running by mafia brothers they were very strong in their field, one day they decided to go for ISO certification for the factory as it gives benefit and enter in International market and compete with competitors/enemies.

The big brother / MD called the certification body and fixed the audit.

At- last the time came, the auditors (2 persons) entered the factory there was no cleaning, infrastructure was very bad, not following hygiene, at the opening meeting the brothers took-out the knifes and guns and kept on table.

It was horrible moment for the auditors, the meeting started and at last one of the brother given warning to the auditor 'we want certificate within a week', you do what ever but get us the certificate, otherwise you will get hurt!

Obviously the auditor thinks about the family and his survival, with calm minded he started explaining good practices, standards, procedures and he challenged with the brothers, you can do these formalities easily by the help of your staff, it needs some documentation and implementation and given little motivation, next time when we came for auditing you will be ready.

The big brother was smart and he understood and agrees for the re-audit, the auditors left the premises with fear and sweat on their faces.

The time has arrived for the re-audit.

The auditors about to enter the town they saw a big banner 'HEARTY WELCOME - Name of the auditors', on the way they found flowers, carpet at the entrance, surroundings of the premises full of landscapes/greenery and the brother welcomed the auditors in grand way.

The audit was running smoothly, given full co-operation and at last the audit finished with few minor NCRs and few observations thats needs to improve, they closed all the minor NCRs and observations and got certification very soon.

They are the kings now!

this is a true story happened in India some time back, most of the auditors knows about the incident.

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

My worst audit nightmare happened with the first lead audit I performed. I had undertaken the five day training successfully and the course trainer was shadowing me. I had 4 auditors who had also just undertaken the training so we were all novices in a way and we were auditing a light alloy foundry. The audit wasn't too well received as the place was to be closed down with loss of jobs and movement of other personnel!

Anyway I got through it and we decided on the NCRs to raise and agreed them with the plant manager and quality bod and got them agreed and signed off.

Come the closing meeting, I said the usual thanks etc, started to say what the findings were and what NCRs we had raisede and the MD of the foundry started arguing and saying he wasn't going to accept them. Well it threw me completely and of course I went bright red! The trainer stepped in and told him in no uncertain terms that the closing meeting was not the forum for disputing the findings. Eventually he shut up and the rest of the meeting went ahead with no more incidents.

The trainer sat down with us after to give the team feedback and he was annoyed with what happened but said how professional we had handled the audit and the meeting and gave us a pat on the back. If it wasn't for that I'm not sure I would still be auditing, though for a different company now.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

Hello guys, sorry for the very late reply, it’s very rude to start a topic and disappear and it infuriates me. :blush:

Wow!! That is horrible. I don't have anything nearly that interesting. I think the worst we had was an auditor that was a very ..um... LARGE gentleman come to audit our facility and he was unable to perform the audit to specification due to his physical limitations... He didn't even walk around the exterior of our facility (It must have looked like a bit far to travel on foot to him).
Not to mention he was an absolute jerk!

Hi Dale, Along similar lines I have witnessed auditors who are extremely diligent and spend all day looking at everything with a fine tooth come and others who spend a couple of hours chatting and eating sandwiches and cakes, with ½ hour looking over documents and ½ hour in the factory. By the way these are BRC auditors and the certificate was granted. As far as customer auditors go then it is up to them how competently they audit, whereas for third party audits such as for BRC it is unacceptable that they are allowed to operate this way.

OK! Here is one of the other side of the table. I then was only auditor for 1 year.

I was conducting an audit for BRC at a apple sorting and packing company. The communication during the audit was bad. The persons interviewed did not answer my question, which make me re-questioning and when I still did not get an answer re-questioning again. They really made it very clear in non-verbal language that I was asking stupid things, that have never been asked before. It makes me quite unsure. Some where half way the audit I just asked how I should change my way of questioning. They say that it was not needed and everything was fine. We exceeded the audit time just because everything had to be asked 3 to 4 times. (example: "do you have a cleaning schedule?" "what do you mean?" "how do you plan the cleaning?""??? we don't we just clean it every week." "did you document that you clean every week?" "Why should I?"')
During the very late (2 hrs exceeded on a one day audit) closing meeting and after the non-conformities, I asked the manager How he thought that the audit was and we should do different during the next audit. He assured me that nothing had to be changed and that he found that I really did a great job. I really could not understand, why my feelings about the audit was so different, but on the other hand, I was glad it seems to be just my imagination.
But ..... the day after, very early in the morning my manager called me and asked me what went wrong during the audit. I told him. The company was very disappointed with my way of auditing and never wanted to see me again at their site.
I was shocked!

Now, some years later, I understand that sometimes there is no click between the auditor and the auditee, but back then I thought that everyone liked me. What I think is the most annoying, is that I have asked the customer directly for feedback and that he just did not use it to help me improve my qualities. He was not honoust to me. What does that say for the rest of the audit?

So, this is one that is in memory and now shared with you. I am sure that more will follow.

Hello Madam A. D-tor, I think most auditees have been economical with the truth at times. No matter what we say it is a bit of a battle of wits although at least a lot less these days as companies have become more mature in food safety management systems and dealing with food safety audits. I think the company you had the above experience with was perhaps a little immature in this respect.

cazyncymru
Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:26 AM
I must admit that my experience of auditing an Indian factory is entirely different. It was for our own supllier approval. My boss and I were invited over to inspect the factory prior to us sourcing one of our main ingredients from them.

I went there expecting it to be a little less compliant that a UK (Organic) factory, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It was excellent. They treated their staff wonderfully. At lunch time, they all stopped work, and all the workers were fed. The management all sat with the workers for their lunch. In fact, I even sat with them, mind you, there wasn't much conversation!

When i went around the factory, they were taken aback a little that it was a woman conducting the audit, but every question i asked was answered, and by the time i reached the end of my factory tour i had collected a little entourage!

The factory was very clean, with cleaning schedules, PPM, Pest Control etc. Very good records (In English). In fact, they even had a signed, dated Quality statement displayed in the foyer of the factory.

At the end of my 2 day audit, the owner of the factory asked me, in front of my boss, if i would like to come to work with them, as they had been impressed by the way i had respected their customs in dealing with some of the staff. My Boss nearly had a fit, and said "No Way"! You never know, maybe i'll take him up on it!

Caz

In the main these days food packaging companies in India, China etc. are state of the art with modern factories and the most advanced high speed, high quality machinery, with all of the systems and standards in place and with prices much cheaper than can be achieved in the west. We try to fool ourselves into thinking we are superior but we are not anymore and have not been for a while. The above story is from quite a long time ago.

Lies, bribes and weird NCR is very rare phenomena but fights i never heard anytime.

Story:

Once upon a time in a small town there was a meat factory running by mafia brothers they were very strong in their field, one day they decided to go for ISO certification for the factory as it gives benefit and enter in International market and compete with competitors/enemies.

The big brother / MD called the certification body and fixed the audit.

At- last the time came, the auditors (2 persons) entered the factory there was no cleaning, infrastructure was very bad, not following hygiene, at the opening meeting the brothers took-out the knifes and guns and kept on table.

It was horrible moment for the auditors, the meeting started and at last one of the brother given warning to the auditor 'we want certificate within a week', you do what ever but get us the certificate, otherwise you will get hurt!

Obviously the auditor thinks about the family and his survival, with calm minded he started explaining good practices, standards, procedures and he challenged with the brothers, you can do these formalities easily by the help of your staff, it needs some documentation and implementation and given little motivation, next time when we came for auditing you will be ready.

The big brother was smart and he understood and agrees for the re-audit, the auditors left the premises with fear and sweat on their faces.

The time has arrived for the re-audit.

The auditors about to enter the town they saw a big banner 'HEARTY WELCOME - Name of the auditors', on the way they found flowers, carpet at the entrance, surroundings of the premises full of landscapes/greenery and the brother welcomed the auditors in grand way.

The audit was running smoothly, given full co-operation and at last the audit finished with few minor NCRs and few observations thats needs to improve, they closed all the minor NCRs and observations and got certification very soon.

They are the kings now!

this is a true story happened in India some time back, most of the auditors knows about the incident.

Hi Abdul,

That is the most beautiful story I have ever heard, I have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. All it needs at the end is “...and they all lived happily ever after” smile: thanks for sharing.

My worst audit nightmare happened with the first lead audit I performed. I had undertaken the five day training successfully and the course trainer was shadowing me. I had 4 auditors who had also just undertaken the training so we were all novices in a way and we were auditing a light alloy foundry. The audit wasn't too well received as the place was to be closed down with loss of jobs and movement of other personnel!

Anyway I got through it and we decided on the NCRs to raise and agreed them with the plant manager and quality bod and got them agreed and signed off.

Come the closing meeting, I said the usual thanks etc, started to say what the findings were and what NCRs we had raisede and the MD of the foundry started arguing and saying he wasn't going to accept them. Well it threw me completely and of course I went bright red! The trainer stepped in and told him in no uncertain terms that the closing meeting was not the forum for disputing the findings. Eventually he shut up and the rest of the meeting went ahead with no more incidents.

The trainer sat down with us after to give the team feedback and he was annoyed with what happened but said how professional we had handled the audit and the meeting and gave us a pat on the back. If it wasn't for that I'm not sure I would still be auditing, though for a different company now.

Hi Rosie,

I believe some natural confidence comes from our own personality, but mostly it is derived through knowledge and experience. Acquiring that knowledge and experience takes time, effort and sometimes a little pain – that experience probably did you some good and no doubt you would be confident of handling the situation should a similar thing happened today. Or you could just chin him. :smile:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

mesophile

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 142 thanks
Good

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Twitter @DSi77

Chartered Scientist (CSci)
    Member of IFST (MIFST)
    Avid guitar player, dog walker and fitness trainer.
    I love reading, and learning about new fields in food science and technology.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

A few years back, whilst working as a TM for a major retailer, we had Level 3 HACCP training by a CIEH Trainer, in her previous role she was an EHO working in the North of England. She informed us of two stores, neither funny or happy, however both true.

1. One day a young woman and her son went to their local bakery, he asked for a iced bun in which his mother bought. As she walked out the shop, he was already eating it and had cut his lip. Thinking he simply bit his lip, she thought nothing more of it. Later that night, the young boy woke up to terrible pains in his stomach, as he began coughing up blood she immediately phoned the emergency services and he was quickly taken in to A&E. It was later discovered that the young boy had eaten a fragment of very sharp glass, which had cut his lip. During digestion, however the glass had tore a hole in his stomach and part of his large intestine. Fortunately, he made a full recovery however had to have part of his stomach removed as a result of the ordeal.

This was when the EHO's were called in to investigate further.

The boy hadn't been feeling well after the iced bun so hadn't had anything after which. The EHO's therefore used this as their first point of call and called in to the bakery to question the workers and have a look around the premises. During their investigation, one of the EHO's noticed the cakes were made in glass bowls. On further investigation it was found that some of the glass bowls had chips missing from them due to the 'heavy handed' staff beating the mixes. It transpires that it was one of these "chips" that had ended up in the childs iced bun...

2. A fairly young couple and toddler son had recently bought a pub through some heavy negotiating. The original owners had spent a large amount of money renovating the bar and seating area however the funds ran dry and the investment became an unfortunate nightmare for them. They therefore packed up and sold the pub on...

The new owners came for their first real visit after the sale had gone through and were having a detailed walk through all areas to assess work still required etc... their son decided to go off investigating for himself. During his investigating he went behind the bar area and found a bottle with what he thought was pop inside so decided to open the lid and drink it. Unfortunately, it turned out to be caustic soda, in which the previous owners had used to remove the many years worth of old varnish and paint from the units.

No sooner had the boy swallowed when he coughed it straight back up, bringing up parts of his throat, oesophagus and stomach lining.

He was immedately rushed to A&E.

Unfortunately for him the damage was so severe that he cannot swallow any food anymore and has it pumped in to his stomach through a bag.

The new owners tried to sue the previous owners for leaving dangerous chemicals lying around. They lost however as the law stated that any owner of an establishement must take responsibility for all items within that establishment.

Tragic.

Sorry, these were not funny, however both make serious points about glass and chemical safety.

Thanks,

Simon

jamesdlm

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Three years ago we had an auditor that was asking for a job throughout the audit. "I could live here", "this city seems nice" "If I were your QA you wouldn't have these problems" "How much are they paying you" "If I go 1 minute over my scheduled time I start losing money they don't pay any over time" "are you hiring?" "you should really look at having someone with my qualifications to help you out" "your boss seems nice do you think he would hire me?"  and on and on like that most of the day, then at closing he turned very bitter and sounded so persecuted for all the travel he had to do and the way he was treated by his company etc, it was odd and annoying. I must add that he was very fair in his assessments, for most of the day I was worried he would take his frustrations out on his report but at least in that part he was professional. The following year same audit company different auditor I brought up the previous fellows name and got a chuckle of recognition and was told that he is no longer with our company. 

James

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:48 AM

One time, during documentation review, I was clicking on an outdated hyperlink, and I thought I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THE DOCUMENT.

:eek_yello:

Then it was in another folder.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

Had my ISO 9001:2008 audit this week - the auditor straight up asked for chocolate to be sent out to his family!  We are always hospitable - we give truckers, pest control, chemical reps, landlord, neighbors, , basically anyone who stops by our "still edible but not of good enough quality to sell" chocolate, but I've never had an AUDITOR come in and spend time with our sales team picking out truffles to ship across the country.  He then listed the other businesses he asked for bribes from regularly (baby back rib place, ice cream place, etc). He pontificated about what a racket the Kosher audits were and day dreamed about how easy his job would be if he converted. 

It is difficult to tour a fine chocolate factory and not want chocolate afterwards (the smells, the descriptions, etc), but what the flip dude?  He didn't even look at my corrective action SOP :crybaby:  ! Audits are only fun when its someone telling me how awesome I am, not when it's someone telling me how awesome they are at making money from an audit system. Slimey.

Edited by magenta_majors, 04 April 2014 - 11:35 AM.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Had my ISO 9001:2008 audit this week - the auditor straight up asked for chocolate to be sent out to his family!  We are always hospitable - we give truckers, pest control, chemical reps, landlord, neighbors, , basically anyone who stops by our "still edible but not of good enough quality to sell" chocolate, but I've never had an AUDITOR come in and spend time with our sales team picking out truffles to ship across the country.  He then listed the other businesses he asked for bribes from regularly (baby back rib place, ice cream place, etc). He pontificated about what a racket the Kosher audits were and day dreamed about how easy his job would be if he converted. 

It is difficult to tour a fine chocolate factory and not want chocolate afterwards (the smells, the descriptions, etc), but what the flip dude?  He didn't even look at my corrective action SOP :crybaby:  ! Audits are only fun when its someone telling me how awesome I am, not when it's someone telling me how awesome they are at making money from an audit system. Slimey.

I'd have excused myself, got straight on the phone to the certification body, and asked for a replacement auditor. Then escorted him off site! No explanation etc

Next call would have been to the approval body to report him.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with an audit result where I've in essence "bribed" the auditor! if he was to get found out (and he inevitably will) then I would hope that all of the audits conducted by him, would be null and void!

We too give out goodies to visitors, but if I'm asked for them, then they most definitely don't get!

Caz x

Edited by cazyncymru, 04 April 2014 - 11:46 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

I'd have excused myself, got straight on the phone to the certification body, and asked for a replacement auditor. Then escorted him off site! No explanation etc

Next call would have been to the approval body to report him.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with an audit result where I've in essence "bribed" the auditor! if he was to get found out (and he inevitably will) then I would hope that all of the audits conducted by him, would be null and void!

We too give out goodies to visitors, but if I'm asked for them, then they most definitely don't get!

Caz x

Yes, the cert body will be hearing about it.   I had a case of the "I'm leaving now"s yesterday when he started talking to sales. Sometimes I just leave instead of confrontation, because I'm a lame human (also confrontation = what they pay my boss to do).  When I told the floor we were having an audit, they looked alert, but then an employee asked if it was the guy we pay and they relaxed :blink:

Also I know it's not a GFSI cert, but I  accept that standard instead of doing a customer visit for Vendor Approval.  I guess not anymore!  It's good to have y'all for support when it comes to making moral decisions (something I didn't imagine I'd ever encounter with a QA position). 

Edited by magenta_majors, 04 April 2014 - 12:47 PM.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

I'm lucky in that my boss takes on board what I say, and is actually quite astute himself (comes with owning the business I suppose!)

We recently had an ethical audit; the auditor asked only to speak to foreign nationals that we employ, until my boss threatened to remove him from site for being unethical!

It's never easy, but people like your auditor are obtaining goods by deception; I'm sure the IRS (Tax people) would like to investigate him!

Caz x

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

There is a lot of ethic issues with QA.

I am lucky I'm onboard now with a company that takes food safety seriously.  One former position I was worried we'd be shut down at any moment due to some issues we had.

I'd never work there again even if management changed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users