Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

What type of thermometer is most efficient for taking accurate temperatures of refrigerated trailers?

Rizwan Ahmed

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

What type of thermometer is most efficient for taking accurate temperatures of refrigerated trailers?

for inspection purpose IMO an infrared thermometer whould be an easier choice for use and quick results also with this you can check temperature at different points in the trailer.

regards.

Riz

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

for inspection purpose IMO an infrared thermometer whould be an easier choice for use and quick results also with this you can check temperature at different points in the trailer.

regards.

Riz

It depends on what you what to measure. An IR is more for surface temps. If you want the air temperature than you want an ambient air thermometer. If you want the best of both woulds, get a dual IR/Ambient air thermometer and your covered either way!

stsqf

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

It depends on what you what to measure. An IR is more for surface temps. If you want the air temperature than you want an ambient air thermometer. If you want the best of both woulds, get a dual IR/Ambient air thermometer and your covered either way!

Thanks for the advice! Is their a particular brand of these dual IR/Ambient air thermometers you have used and recommend at all? I just did a quick search and came up with this website http://www.instrumar...ProductID=28638 but I am sure, like everything else, there are reliable brands that would be recommended over others. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you to all those who post on this forum - I am finding it extremely helpful! Posted Image

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:25 AM

Dear stsqf,

IMO it rather depends on what you mean by "efficient", eg how accurate, cost, portable ??? Are you primarily interested in assessing the contents temp. and not the trailer itself ?? (former often done by inserting a probe betweeen packaged items)

I presume you are referring to temps approx -18degC ???

Not so simple IMEX. Similar problem to cold storages. These still often use (I think) bimetallics for static displays but I guess nowadays all trailers use thermocouples. Inspectors typically use thermocouples for random checks which hv battery temp. limitations or bimetallic type (no battery). Alternatively static data logging systems normally use thermocouples. Hv not seen IR used at these temps (??) / not cheap :smile: .

In all cases the realised accuracy will relate to calibration ability. Creating standards for self-calibration at -18degC requires some chemical dexterity IMEX, obviously easier to hv a "master" thermometer for comparison if no budget restrictions.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS had a look at the IR pdf you linked (price sort of similar to good portable thermocouples (eg dual channel / zero resettable), the intrinsic accuracy looks rather remarkable [although -18degC is getting near the bottom of the range], ie a lot better than many thermocouples IMEX, but I predict the final result will critically depend on calibration. Interesting to know how IR measures the temperture of air ? :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,897 posts
  • 730 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

I've never had an adequate answer on how you should calibrate an IR thermometer anyway?

For trailers, I would use a combination of continuous monitoring using the existing air probes in the trailer (ideally alarmed), this would hopefully rule out any gross failure of the system including diesel running out (if diesel run) or someone unplugging the unit if run on electricity (I've had both happen to me!) Then I'd have it checked manually at least once per 8 hour period with a thermocouple using an air probe (not an insertion probe) as the unit can be calibrated regularly (e.g. once a week) so you can be fairly sure of its accuracy. Also I'd measure the temperature of goods going into the trailer, either by probing (depending on what it is) or a between pack probe (e.g for frozen goods). I have used IR in the past but it's only surface temperature (yep, I know between pack is the same) but calibration is a 'mare IMO.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users