Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Nigeria
    Nigeria

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

I joined a cocoa processing company last year as a Graduate Trainee and after six month I became Production Supervisor. I need a comprehensive information on setting HACCP for cocoa processing plant. My major responsibilities are to develop and characterize new equipment, processes, materials and process flows. Ensure proper operating discipline for the plant equiment and work force.Monitoring line processes, improving quality and updating process instructions and documentation.Provide machinery, tooling and fixtures support to production in order to develop and improve process flow.Assist the line to fulfill production and productivity target.

Mikahil Mutiu
FTN Cocoa Processors Plc,
Nigeria.

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:08 AM

I joined a cocoa processing company last year as a Graduate Trainee and after six month I became Production Supervisor. I need a comprehensive information on setting HACCP for cocoa processing plant. My major responsibilities are to develop and characterize new equipment, processes, materials and process flows. Ensure proper operating discipline for the plant equiment and work force.Monitoring line processes, improving quality and updating process instructions and documentation.Provide machinery, tooling and fixtures support to production in order to develop and improve process flow.Assist the line to fulfill production and productivity target.

Mikahil Mutiu
Nigeria.

Welcome Mikahil :smile:

The information you have provided is not enough, do you have any system running - ISO 9001 or any other standards, GMPs, or do you have any process flow diagrams or flow of materials - raw material inwards to finished goods dispatch, if yes please share with us to provide you the information and support.

Beofre setting HACCP for cocoa processing you may undergo for HACCP awareness, implementation and auditor training, the course will guide you entire /comprehensive information on setting HACCP.

Edited by Abdul Qudoos, 12 July 2010 - 05:11 AM.

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

It sounds like you're starting from scratch?

Certainly if you're not familiar with HACCP and you're expected to lead the team, I would ensure you were fully trained first then get a team around you with experience in Engineering, Production, Microbiology, Technical and possibly Planning and Procurement. Ideally get some "old heads" on your team, ie people who have seen it all, especially as you don't have as much experience. I would also get someone from production other than yourself on the team for the same reason.

One thing to be very cautious of is Salmonella because very low levels in chocolate can cause illness so from my limited knowledge of cocoa processing that would be a significant hazard IMO. Also all kinds of foreign material can come in with the cocoa beans from stories I heard so there will need to be tight intake controls, however it's up to your team whether hazards like these should be controlled by prerequisites or CCPs.

narayanghimire

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:21 AM

Hi!

If I got your process flow chart, I may help you on how to locate CCP if you wish in some extent.

Narayan Ghimire

cocoabeanny

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

Hi Mikahil,
I do have some experience on a cocoa processing plant, but I fully agree with the others on the approach. You need to have a multidiscipline team (generally called HACCP team or Food SafetyTeam) to analyse the risks and define your CCPs. If you are the one to lead the team, you should have a training on how to define them.
Then you sit together with the team and write down the production flowchart. If you want to go for a certification make sure you verify the chart on site on the production floor. Then you go with the team trough every step and determine the risk on mikrobiological, chemical or physical risk. On the rating there are probably several ways to do it, in our system we rated the severity and the likelyhood of every risk. From the rating we got a significance level and then we went into a decision tree to determine if it is a CCP or not.

Of course I could tell you now what our CCPs are but I am not sure if this will help you at all.

Best!
CoBe

Obadina

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Nigeria
    Nigeria

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

I am a lecturer and researcher in the Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta. Nigeria. I am working presently of improving the safety and quality of cocoa processing in Nigeria. Moreso, I have also worked on pre-requisites for HACCP in some fermented products in Wesdt Africa. Since you are in Nigeria, you can contact me on how this can apply to your need.

Mikahil Mutiu
Nigeria.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

Dear cocoabeanny,

Welcome to the forum ! :welcome:

Of course I could tell you now what our CCPs are but I am not sure if this will help you at all

I am sure such info. will be of interest, particularly if accompanied by the related process flowchart if that is not asking too much ?? :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS I think I searched the net for this type of material previously but seem to remember that it typically required membership of certain related trade organisations.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

narayanghimire

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hi again!

For you only Allocating CCP, PRPs are more valuable as you know most of things and familier how to build over all quality by Design. Just make flow sheet with out disclosing your propritory information (if there is any - I am saying generic near actual) and just post on simple form. Than people like me who have long association in this work from food safety prospective can provide you feed backs. I hope it will the best way you can utilize the ideas of people who like to comment and share ideas in professional forum like this.

Narayan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

Dear peaceofmind,

I don't know if yr flowchart matches but this attachment claims to give info on typical CCPs (kudos to Anton :thumbup: )

Attached File  HACCP Cocoa Powder.doc   82.5KB   144 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,238 posts
  • 1294 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

Dear peaceofmind,

I don't know if yr flowchart matches but this attachment claims to give info on typical CCPs (kudos to Anton Posted Image )

Attached File  HACCP Cocoa Powder.doc   82.5KB   144 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Interesting stuff. Do people really regard magnets as CCP's?

Regards,

Tony

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

Magnets as CCPs. It's a bugbear of mine. I disagree they can ever be a CCP for obvious effectiveness reasons and how much high grade stainless steel do you use? Isn't that the bigger hazard? And also not particularly magnetic...?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users