Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

My organization is seeking to obtain HACCP certification from a registrar that offers this certification. Their guidance to me so far is to obtain the HACCP standard I wish to be certified too. And to write a HACCP manual. Maybe I have put the cart before the horse, because I have generated a set of Prerequisite programs that cover cleanliness and sanitation. And the HACCP team has created one HACCP plan. I am not sure what standard I need I have a copy of the Codex Alimentarius but I'm not sure what other documents I will need for an audit? Thank you for your help. Oh we produce flexible packaging film used in the food industry.:helpplease:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

Dear vonsigler,

I haven’t been following yr dialog with Simon in detail so maybe you already know all the following.? If so my apologies in advance.

I’m not in packaging but I anticipate that the next follow-up to yr post from a “packaging” person will ask regarding yr exact method / Standard of proposed certification??. The simple reason is that most Food Standards such as BRC (and I believe packaging HACCP is a spin-off from Food HACCP) tend to specify the base of their HACCP requirements. AFAIK, there are only 2 of the latter in current Food use, namely Codex (European roots) and NACMCF (American roots). The 2 systems are very similar, probably 90% overlap.
In theory, the prerequisite section should come first, IMEX it invariably overlaps continuously with the development of the HACCP plan, you might say they mutually feedback onto each other (and other elements).

Most FSMS = very approx.([Food]HACCP + ISO 9001)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

vonsigler

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

Thank you Charles for your help. I am learning as I go. If we state we want NACMCF certification is there a standard like the Codex available? Also will I need another manual generated on top of the prerequiste program? Thank you for your help. :rolleyes:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:46 AM

Dear vonsigler,

Unfortunately I am not in USA so I don’t know much about the existance / options for direct HACCP certification there, eg auditable standards based on X or Y, Food or Packaging. My uninformed guess is that the answer to yr query is Yes. Relative usage of 2 systems in USA (eg 50/50) currently, no idea (it is my observation that Americans like home-grown quality methods where possible, not so surprising).

Anybody in USA (or knowledgeable) can help ??

I noted yr initial interest was SQF Packaging which orients on Codex as do all the other international Food standards I am familiar with, probably BRC Packaging also. AIB packaging (exists?) I don’t know. This compatibility factor is perhaps of significance if you intend to progress from HACCP-only to complete FSMS certification?. Nonetheless, I have certainly seen usage of the NACMCF “format” mentioned by various US (food) companies in HACCP discussions on the Net.

The NACMCF approach is described here and many textbooks -

http://www.fda.gov/f...P/ucm114868.htm

A detailed comparison to Codex is here (but getting a bit old) –

http://www.fsis.usda...definitions.htm

Also will I need another manual generated on top of the prerequiste program?

I guess Yes (hv never used prerequisites personally [not mandatory in Codex / some food areas], though I wouldn’t recommend this route nowadays) although I presume "prerequisites" could be a section within a “global” HACCP manual. Auditors tend to like segregation IMEX.

If you are interested in detailed presentations on step-by-step construction of (food) haccp manuals, the Canadian website is quite readable - http://www.inspectio...ue/tablee.shtml

Also the Canadian "Advantage manual" project even offers for free dwl a complete (food) HACCP manual with cross-linked prerequisite sections, overview here -

http://www.gov.mb.ca...f/cfs10s78b.pdf

Rgds / Charles.C

PS there is of course also specific packaging haccp manual info in the packaging forum here (notably Simon's model) but I'm sure you hv seen all that already :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users