• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:57 AM

Dear All

Can anybody guide in finding the root cause behind pulp separation / sedimentation in mango juice (15 - 16%) pulp content. & also how to overcome this problem. The process of juice making is a standardised one with all unit operation including homogenisation.

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:57 PM

Dear All

Can anybody guide in finding the root cause behind pulp separation / sedimentation in mango juice (15 - 16%) pulp content. & also how to overcome this problem. The process of juice making is a standardised one with all unit operation including homogenisation.

Hi- I know nothing about mango juice but as no-one else seems to either-I'll have a crack at it :biggrin: -and at least maybe kick start the discussion!

As i understand it the homogenisation step is included to completely mix the juice- so the most straightforward answer might be incomplete homogenisation?- is yours done under pressure?

Regards

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Thanked by 1 Member:

SUJIT_KGPIAN

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

The juice is homogenised at 2000 PSI ( 130 bar)

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:35 PM

The juice is homogenised at 2000 PSI ( 130 bar)

Possibly not due to too large or eneven particle size then!:biggrin: -but you might want to look at this link which is suggesting 200-300 bar as the optimum homogenisation pressure for decreasing sedimentation in pineapple pulp(not being a 'fruit guy' I'm unsure as to how pineapple compares to mango though!)

Regards

mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Thanked by 1 Member:

agwanda

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Quality Management Systems, Food Safety (ISO 22000:2005) HACCP, Microbiology, Food Processing and Packaging

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

Dear sujitfni,

Could you consider use of plant based stabilizers such as pectin as a solution to this problem? And just to kn ow has it been a persistent problem or a one time thing?

Regards,

Agwanda

The sky is the limit..........!

Thanked by 1 Member:

lmugs

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Zimbabwe
    Zimbabwe

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

I'm not a juice expert but i have am into juice/beverage manufacturing. the causes of separation can be enzyme activity(PME), Pulp size and Content, air separation during processing. Precipitation can be caused by high alkalinity water so you have to check if the water that you use meet beverage manufacturing specs. I also the same problem but in orange juice of final brix 36.75 that we make from orange oil, 50brix concentrate, treated water and powdered ingredients.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jgmanza

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Belize
    Belize

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:50 PM

Dear All

I have also encountered problem with sedimentation. Pulp always separate and its natural.
Main causes in a case study I did was (inadequate) lack of stabilization by heating. Seems all the pectinase was not deactivated. I have seen improvement for value added juice by using CMC.

Thanked by 2 Members:

faisal rafique

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hello all,

Have to consider some basic things.

• Type of Stabilizer and time of mixing
  • Mango variety
  • homogenization efficiency checking
  • Water Quality
Faisal RAfique

Thanked by 1 Member:

Feel Good

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

Homogenization is of no use when fat is not the subject matter. Size of sieve which you have mentioned earlier i.e. 1 mm; I feel that it should be 3mm at least. This will help in maintaining pulp natural consistency/viscosity to optimum. And, high speed dispersion with toothed disc attached agitator can be helpful. High pressure homogenization having valve and sheet to run with 500 to 2000 psi need not be used.

Dear All

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users