- - - - -

fstRicky

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

As above- I didn't realise they were still in use in production environments in the uk-still see a few in catering establishments though :biggrin:

attached doc is about wooden pallets and packaging-but i think it highlights the problems pretty well

Mike

A whole paper on wood in the food industry - I could never have thought this excised - well done for sharing!!

Ricky

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

Hello D-D

Have you considered aluminium handled brooms but with robust plastic which can handle organic solvents.

I understand that some plastics will dissolve in presence of organic solvents and as you can make a case for it then I am sure you will be given special consideration by stating the reasons on your Cleaning Equipment Policy and in particular the use of Wooden brooms in its place. As part of your policy you will need to ensure that you check the condition of your brooms and also tray and varnish the wooden brooms wherever possible.

Cheers

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

cesspadilla

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

As above- I didn't realise they were still in use in production environments in the uk-still see a few in catering establishments though :biggrin:

attached doc is about wooden pallets and packaging-but i think it highlights the problems pretty well

Mike

According to the pdf:
· risk of splinters
· wood is a porous material
· lack of cleaning and/or sanitation methods

Which was already given by other members. Seriously I think using other cleaning materials aside from wood will be much cleaner without the risk of absorbing dirt.

aps

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

I use wooden handles in our tipping area.... sorry I work with potatoes and as you well know they are held in boxes. There is more of a risk of splinters from the boxes that there is from a broom handle.

I suppose it depends on the nature of the product i.e outer holding units....

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users