Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

We are currently using Sparta brand tank brushes during our sanitation process. We've used other food grade brushes before.

All of them suffer from periodically losing bristles.

Any grand suggestions for brush and bristle management?

Good brands?

Brush PM's?

Anyone?

Help!

QLD

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

they don't come cheap but this company have some great quality brushes

http://www.foodcaresystems.com.au/

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

they don't come cheap but this company have some great quality brushes

http://www.foodcaresystems.com.au/

Thanks, but I'm USA based (gotta get that profile updated one day...)

We're using Sparta brushes now. I'm not exactly a brush expert, but I'm willing to learn.

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

Dear JPO,

I'm curious, what are you producing?

Regards
Inesa

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:04 AM

Dear Inesa,

Just a guess.

Brushes. :smarty:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

Dear JPO,

I'm curious, what are you producing?

Regards
Inesa

We produce a variety of dry blended goods. Examples include cake mixes, pizza dough mixes, beverage mixes, etc.

The brushes are used for a dry-clean sweeping step between similar products. They aren't used (at least brushes with this color bristle) for wet cleaning/sanitation and aren't soaked in any sanitizers or other chemicals that would loosten the bristles or cause them to be brittle.

More or less, we use them as big whisk brooms for the inside of ribbon blenders.

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:39 PM

We produce a variety of dry blended goods. Examples include cake mixes, pizza dough mixes, beverage mixes, etc.

The brushes are used for a dry-clean sweeping step between similar products. They aren't used (at least brushes with this color bristle) for wet cleaning/sanitation and aren't soaked in any sanitizers or other chemicals that would loosten the bristles or cause them to be brittle.

More or less, we use them as big whisk brooms for the inside of ribbon blenders.

Dear JPO,

I'm not any brush manager, just a student Posted Image but this topic is interesting for me.
All I know about brushes is that no matter how super good brushes you buy they all have to be changed frequently.
Sparta brushes must be good ones, as I see them as examples in some of my books back from 1994. It seems they have experience in making them.

Also, I don't see any info about brush management, except that they have to be cleaned frequently and changed once in a while.
Isn't it possible to observe brushes and determine their approximate durability? What about calling to supplier and asking their opinion?
For certain, there are no brushes that last for ever. Even if they would, you have to change them, because they get dirty.

Bristles: are they considered as a hazard? Then they should be managed by HACCP as far as I know Posted Image

Regards Posted Image

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:31 PM

I used to work for a factory making food packaging - on the production line we had brushes to guide pots into the packer - a customer found a bristle on the outside of a pot and rejected a number of deliveries plus filled pots - we had to send people over to sort pallets of products - it was our most expensive customer complaint costing over £20,000 - so take your bristles seriously![

quote name='Inesa' timestamp='1292276365' post='40284']
Dear JPO,

I'm not any brush manager, just a student Posted Image but this topic is interesting for me.
All I know about brushes is that no matter how super good brushes you buy they all have to be changed frequently.
Sparta brushes must be good ones, as I see them as examples in some of my books back from 1994. It seems they have experience in making them.

Also, I don't see any info about brush management, except that they have to be cleaned frequently and changed once in a while.
Isn't it possible to observe brushes and determine their approximate durability? What about calling to supplier and asking their opinion?
For certain, there are no brushes that last for ever. Even if they would, you have to change them, because they get dirty.

Bristles: are they considered as a hazard? Then they should be managed by HACCP as far as I know Posted Image

Regards Posted Image
[/quote]

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

Dear rosie,

thanks for sharing your experience. I personally take everything that has a contact with food or food contact surface very seriously.

So what did you do afterwards? How did you/they assure that the same won't happen again?
Any advice regarding this topic???

Regards from Inesa

p.s. cool avatar Posted Image

Edited by Inesa, 18 December 2010 - 03:06 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users