Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

We're a dry powdered goods manufacturer (pizza dough mix, cocoas, cookie mixes, etc. Wet in our production areas is bad. We are currently sanitizing footware at the end of the shift, and letting it dry overnight.

I'm looking for DRY (powdered?) sanitizer options for footware for during the production day.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

DAVE84

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

I am working in similar industry as yours. Though we do not sanitize shoes during the production. But i guess best option will be alcohol based sanitizers. There are few special sprays out in market which uses carbondioxide gas (to creat pressure) and alcohol based sprayers which sanitizes surface and allows surface to dry withing a span of minute. It will spray fine droplets of alcohol which will sanitize your shoes and will leave the surface dry. I am not able to recall the name of the spray but i will keep you posted if i will recall it.

Dhaval

DAVE84

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

I got the name. It is called biospray.... just check out this site

http://www.go1bio.com/

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

Dear guys,

may I ask what material are your shoes made of? Rubber?
The above mentioned Biospray mentions only hard- non-porous surfaces.

Regards
Inesa

Edited by Inesa, 04 January 2011 - 12:03 AM.

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:26 AM

We're a dry powdered goods manufacturer (pizza dough mix, cocoas, cookie mixes, etc. Wet in our production areas is bad. We are currently sanitizing footware at the end of the shift, and letting it dry overnight.

I'm looking for DRY (powdered?) sanitizer options for footware for during the production day.

I have used these sort of mats to help keep dry areas clean:

http://www.alibaba.c...floor-mats.html

Regards,

Tony

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,789 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:08 AM

Just a quick question. How often do you clean your floors in production? I doubt it's every night unless it's just a sweep? Could you have a daily dry brush removal to remove gross debris from the tread and then clean the shoes on a less frequent basis? After all if the floors aren't being cleaned as often they will just be recontaminated immediately. Might also be worth doing some swabbing for pathogens of concern on the shoes to see if the frequency is justified?

Sascha

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

Hi There,
I'm actually not from the food sector but when I hear powder I always think of possible cross contamination. A powder can be more easily transferred then alcohol based sanitizers which evaporate quickly.
Just a thought!

Best regards,
Sascha

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Just a quick question. How often do you clean your floors in production? I doubt it's every night unless it's just a sweep? Could you have a daily dry brush removal to remove gross debris from the tread and then clean the shoes on a less frequent basis? After all if the floors aren't being cleaned as often they will just be recontaminated immediately. Might also be worth doing some swabbing for pathogens of concern on the shoes to see if the frequency is justified?

We clean the production floors every night and sanitize them 2-3 times a week (when we're sanitizing equipment)

There are dedicated shoes for the production area that are kept in the facility and are put on by the production employees at the beginning of their shifts. These shoes (the soles at least) are sanitized in an acidified quat sanitizer at the end of the shift, and allowed to dry until the next shift (on stainless steel tubular racking).

We have a microbially clean facility, at least based on our swabbing results, and we produce a low-risk product. The reason I'm asking is that we've had auditors ask us about "how are you making sure you aren't contaminating the production area with traffic to and from break rooms and restrooms??"

If I have wet shoes, I have very real slip and fall hazards for the employees. A powdered/prilled sanitizer (I found a few, 200-400 PPM quat in powder or prills) is a very real chemical/foreign material hazard, being tracked through the plant. I guess I could haul out my data from swabbing and say "it's adequately controlled", but since a state inspector AND our FSSC-22000 auditor mentioned it, I think it would be a good idea to come up with a solution that makes everyone happy.

:dunno:

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

A similar topic i started before for my dry-mix production facility:

http://www.ifsqn.com...h__1#entry30792

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,789 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

Personally I hate boot / shoe washers as they become Listeria sources IME and are rarely as effective as nightly washing.

If your shoes are captive, then why are they going to restrooms etc? Why not enforce changing every time people enter and leave the area if you think it's justified? This is what high care / high risk facilities do and many of them are ripping out their bootwash facilities after problems with them.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Suzy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

Suzy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Our local chemical supplier sells us a quaternary ammonium based sanitizer product that comes in powder or granules (powder can cause a little dust - beads are better).

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,789 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:33 AM

Our local chemical supplier sells us a quaternary ammonium based sanitizer product that comes in powder or granules (powder can cause a little dust - beads are better).

Does it not need dissolving to be effective?

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,789 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

What about a dry brush system (no alcohol etc) for use during a shift if you really need it and changing out of shoes at each break etc then continue the washing at night? If you properly wash your floors every night, doing anything less with the shoes seems a bit pointless but likewise cleaning your shoes repeatedly during the day seems pointless if the floors aren't cleaned at that frequency but by changing each time you enter the facility you get rid of the auditor concerns about restrooms etc without buying equipment.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

Does it not need dissolving to be effective?

Attached File  fisan_quat_treat1.pdf   148.68KB   119 downloads

Some dampness I would guess

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users