• 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hi!

Please help me with this situation:

What you do if the big quantity of same ingredients (like aroma, colorant) expired in your warehouse?

Extend the shelf life and use if the suppliers not approve this?

Tk
Maricmargot :helpplease:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

It depends on what the ingredient is and the risks.

I'd talk to the supplier to ask them the basis of their shelf-life - ie is it microbiological / safety or organoleptic / quality? Even if the supplier is unwilling to say "yes it will be fine", they might be willing to say "yes, provided it's been stored in these conditions and you're happy with the ingredient quality when tasted / tested." I'd then use a bit of common sense; ie is it likely to expire? How expired is it? (If it's a month it might be a "yes", if it's a year, it's probably a "no".) Taste it if I can or test it in whatever way I can (e.g. smell it, do some chromatography on the colours, maybe some GC if you have one.) Then use under concession for a limited period and review.

Next I'd work out why we had the stock and look at stock control. Also be aware if you're using this stock to avoid waste but you have more fresher stock in store which isn't likely to be used within its shelf-life, sometimes it's better to cut your losses and accept the waste now rather than be using out of date stock for a longer time period.

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

GMO is right, it depends on the material and the risk.

I am not sure exacly what type of flavours and colourants you use, but it is a common practice in the flavourings industry to evaluate and extend life. Most flavours are used in tiny amounts and and you have to buy more than you really need. They are also commonly very low risk. They can deteriorate with respect to organoleptic properties.

Providing you can define a protocol for confirming that they are safe and correct quality there should be no major problem.

Suppliers often put a shorter shelf life than they need to in order to play safe, and of course, to encourage you to buy new stock.

Edited by Foodworker, 07 January 2011 - 02:19 PM.

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Some suppliers for powder colorings gives 5 yrs shelf life. They are quite stable as long as storage conditions are good.

Flavorings on the other hand can be quite tricky. But you can follow GMO's flowchart to check if they are still usable. Contact the suppliers for a fresh sample and evaluate with your team to see if there are any off-notes.

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

Thanked by 1 Member:
GMO

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

Contact the suppliers for a fresh sample and evaluate with your team to see if there are any off-notes.

Very good idea! Should have thought of that!

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

Very good idea! Should have thought of that!

Ya, we used to have the same problem in my ex-company. Due to MOQ issues, we had to purchase the flavorings more than we could finish them. And one way to check them would be to request a fresh sample from supplier so we can judge if they are still usable for the next 3 months.

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users