Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Saudi Arabia
    Saudi Arabia

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

I am a ship supplier who works in most of the food line, I will categorize the goods into 4 parts:

1. Fresh fruits and Vegetables. (I have chilling room to store)
2. Frozen meat, chicken and fish (I have freezer room to store)
3. Canned and final packed products like cereals, corned beef, milk, mineral water, coffee, tea etc..
4. Spices and herbs. This category goes through repacking, it means that I purchase the spices in bulk like 10 or 15 kg and then repack in 0.50 kg and 1 kg and use the vacuum machine and then put my label. (I have special packaging area).

As I am not aware of some of the terms in the HACCP, like validation and hazard and control action..
I am kindly asking help of the expert in this forum of how I can get started, since my project doesn’t contain any cooking or processing, I think it will be easier.

Yannisg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Continuous knowledge improvement, travelling, music, photography

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

I am a ship supplier who works in most of the food line, I will categorize the goods into 4 parts:

1. Fresh fruits and Vegetables. (I have chilling room to store)
2. Frozen meat, chicken and fish (I have freezer room to store)
3. Canned and final packed products like cereals, corned beef, milk, mineral water, coffee, tea etc..
4. Spices and herbs. This category goes through repacking, it means that I purchase the spices in bulk like 10 or 15 kg and then repack in 0.50 kg and 1 kg and use the vacuum machine and then put my label. (I have special packaging area).

As I am not aware of some of the terms in the HACCP, like validation and hazard and control action..
I am kindly asking help of the expert in this forum of how I can get started, since my project doesn’t contain any cooking or processing, I think it will be easier.

Dear long beach,

If I understand your business well then you buy all products mentioned above (product categories 1-4) and you simply keep them in temperature controlled storage rooms (category 1&2) or at ambient storage conditions (category 3 and 4).
I am not an expert in HACCP studies but I am well familiar with the basic concepts and steps.
- I suggest that first of all you create the flow diagram (as detailed as possible) for each product category .
- Then for each process step I would prepare a list with all possible hazards (i.e. biological, chemical, physical) that may occure in your products.
Your product suppliers (or literature) could possibly provide you with some information especially regarding the biological hazards.
- Use the HACCP decision tree to decide which are the CCPs (critical control points) in your processes.
- Then for each CCP I would write down all possible control measures (for example control of temperature and relative humidity) in cold or refrigerated storage.
- For each control parameter (e.g. temperature) establish the critical limits which are acceptable for the safety of the products.
- For the monitoring of your CCPs write for each CCP how you control it and the frequency of each control.
- Finally write down the corrective actions in case that there is deviation from the critical limits (for example what you do if the temperature in the storage rooms rises above the safe limit).

In my opinion the above mentioned steps are a good start. Of course there is more involved in a complete HACCP study (e.g. verification procedures) but I suggest that you start understanding your processes by working on the above mentioned steps.
There is also plenty of literature in the internet regarding the basics of a HACCP study (e.g. Codex Alimentarius-HACCP).

I hope that this information gives you a start.

Regards
Yannis

Thanked by 1 Member:

long beach

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Saudi Arabia
    Saudi Arabia

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

Dear Yannis,

Thank you very much for the wonderful reply, it really helped me alot.
I would rather go step by step with you and show you what I have done so far. I worked on the flow diagram chart for my general products (do I need to do 100 flow charts if I have 100 products). I would like from you to see my flow chart and then apply only one product and lets say Fruits and do all the steps, because there are some things that I didnt understand like ccp, validation, critical limit, corrective action and so on. I would really appreciate if you keep going with me a little further and complete all procedures on the fruits so I can get to complete the whole project.
Thank you again for the good reply.

Attached Files

long beach

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Saudi Arabia
    Saudi Arabia

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

Dear Yannis,
I also worked on the Hazard analysis as attached, please see if it is OK, I changed on the flow diagram alittle.
I only didnt understand the last two tables:
2.6.1 Justification Table

2.6.2 Verification Table

I hope that I did the right work in the first two tables.
below is the new flow diagram and the Hazard analysis.

Attached Files

Yannisg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Dear Yannis,

Thank you very much for the wonderful reply, it really helped me alot.
I would rather go step by step with you and show you what I have done so far. I worked on the flow diagram chart for my general products (do I need to do 100 flow charts if I have 100 products). I would like from you to see my flow chart and then apply only one product and lets say Fruits and do all the steps, because there are some things that I didnt understand like ccp, validation, critical limit, corrective action and so on. I would really appreciate if you keep going with me a little further and complete all procedures on the fruits so I can get to complete the whole project.
Thank you again for the good reply.

long beach,

You also have vegetables don't you? If so lets take (for our case study) a vegetable product as an example. I am working in a company that produces organic (biological) vegetables.
I will prepare a couple of word doc tables for you trying to explain the steps and terms mentioned in my previous post.

Regards
Yannis

Yannisg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

long beach,

You also have vegetables don't you? If so lets take (for our case study) a vegetable product as an example. I am working in a company that produces organic (biological) vegetables.
I will prepare a couple of word doc tables for you trying to explain the steps and terms mentioned in my previous post.

Regards
Yannis

Before I prepare the tables I attach a very useful document which explains the HACCP plan in detail. In this document you may also find answers regarding the definition of the various terms.
It's quite a long article but I am sure it will help you to understand a little bit more.

Yannisg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

I have a couple of questions on your flow diagram:

- What is the difference between process step 4 and 6?
- Are there any special conditions during transportation from the market to your warehouse? (process step 2)

Attached you may find four documents

I hope that they will help you to start working on your HACCP plan.

Yannis

Attached Files

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:56 AM

Dear All,

Just a comment.

Not complaining but I believe many people here (including myself) cannot read .docx files. I know there are alternatives but no thank you to add star office etc etc just for this. As a result I had to convert all previous files (added - in fact this ultimately failed in some cases due to complexity of the docx files uploaded).

I believe you hv an option to save as the older .doc format before uploading here. If so would appreciate you doing this. If not possible, I guess it's bad luck for many potential repliers and you/we can blame M$. Again. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Yannisg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

Dear All,

Just a comment.

Not complaining but I believe many people here (including myself) cannot read .docx files. I know there are alternatives but no thank you to add star office etc etc just for this. As a result I had to convert all previous files (added - in fact this ultimately failed in some cases due to complexity of the docx files uploaded).

I believe you hv an option to save as the older .doc format before uploading here. If so would appreciate you doing this. If not possible, I guess it's bad luck for many potential repliers and you/we can blame M$. Again. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Charles,

Thank you for your information regarding the difficulty of many forum users to read docx documents. From now on I will convert all my docx to pdf

Regards

Yannis

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users