• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hello Everyone,

My company has a product range of aound 300 products. We produce Drinks, soup bases, pancake mixes. I devided all the products into catagories and created several HACCP Plan accordingly. In the case of Drinks with sugar (Powder) we have more than 30 varieties. HACCP plan for all drinks with sugar includes all more than 30 varieties. In ingredient hazard analysis I have not conducted hazard analysis of each ingredient, but instead i have listed just one point in HACCP and that is receiving raw ingredients. And that covers ingredient hazard analysis of each ingredients. Do i need to conduct hazard analysis of each ingredient saparatly?

Dhaval

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

Are the processes the same? If the flow chart & processes are the same, you can use the same hazard analysis. Place all the products together via method of production.

Take HACCP back to its basics: remember it is a risk assessment tool.

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:06 AM

An ingredient hazard analysis is not mandaotry but is definately recommended. You can do this by ingredient category to help simplify the process. For example, combine all dairy items or all spices or flavorings or all wet ingredients. If you choose to skip this step, you may miss key risks such as allergens or hazards associated with specific ingredients. You could try adding the ingredients into the process hazard analysis - for example at a mixing or blending step you might address allergens but this is not easy.

I have seen some great examples of ingredient hazard analyses where the question or decision baed on hazards is - does this ingredient need to be addressed specifically in the plan as a potential hazard? Once that question is answered, you can move to the process analysis and the step where this ingredient has an impact on food safety. I find that approach most effective.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

Thanked by 1 Member:

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:10 AM

Attached File  Ingredients Hazard Analysis form.doc   32.5KB   803 downloadsI can't find the form I liked best but here is one that might help.

agwanda

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Quality Management Systems, Food Safety (ISO 22000:2005) HACCP, Microbiology, Food Processing and Packaging

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

Dear Dhaval,

I do think that if the processes or lines are different,each individual variant must have its separate HACCP due to the difference in risks associated with each process and line. I would advice that each be thorough without as any loopholes associated.

Regards,

Agwanda

The sky is the limit..........!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

I think Cathy has taken the approach that I would. Split into categories and consider the generalised risks in those categories; e.g. sudan dyes in spices, stones in flour, allergenic cross contamination in flour etc. I don't think a generalised "raw material intake" step is ok when you have so many.

John Antecki

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

if the processes are all the same really would just be 1 HACCP plan with multiple raw material hazard analysis, I agree with GMO, weight lifting supplements would have an entirely different chemical risk, compared to powdered juices, it's a lotta work but it's the way I was trained. 300 products! just wait till you get into the primary packaging validation, glug.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

Dear Cathy,

An ingredient hazard analysis is not mandaotry but is definately recommended.

I don't know about SQF but IMEX it has always been regarded as mandatory for the hazard analysis, eg Codex (2003)-

During hazard identification, evaluation, and subsequent operations in designing and applying HACCP systems, consideration must be given to the impact of raw materials, ingredients, food manufacturing practices, role of manufacturing processes to control hazards, likely end-use of the product, categories of consumers of concern, and epidemiological evidence relative to food safety.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

Consideration of raw materials and ingredients is mandatory inconducting a hazard analysis but a seperate document is not always required.

Thanked by 1 Member:

mandip

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:53 PM

I am also in dilemma.

I have 6-7 categries of baked product made on different processing lines. Accordingly I have 6-7 HACCP Plans; as process of making all is different. Ingredients for all are more or less same. I have to do same thing repetitively for each plans ingredint risk analysis. Now i am planning to use my time more efficiently. and planning to combine ingredient hazard analysis for all the six plans at one place. I am wondering if any auditor will challenge that risk asessment???

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:39 AM

I am also in dilemma.

I have 6-7 categries of baked product made on different processing lines. Accordingly I have 6-7 HACCP Plans; as process of making all is different. Ingredients for all are more or less same. I have to do same thing repetitively for each plans ingredint risk analysis. Now i am planning to use my time more efficiently. and planning to combine ingredient hazard analysis for all the six plans at one place. I am wondering if any auditor will challenge that risk asessment???

Hi mandip,

IMO it depends on the similarity of the ingredients / products / processes / hazards / risk assessments (eg CCPs).

And possibly the FS Standard.

School meals are one classic example - hundreds of permutations but can mainly be grouped into 2-3 classes for haccp purposes.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users