• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and i saw that i can get help from number of experienced peoples here. Currently i am struggling with allergen control. We are manufacturer of dry ingredient (indian cusines, instant mixes). We wanted to go for SQF. The big problem for us is allergen. We have a huge variety of producst and we use 4 allergens in facility. Due to size and business of the company we mix number of different products in one day (sometimes 10 to 15 different produts). Currently whole mixing is done with ribbon blenders and we line up our production by product color (light to dark product) and compatibility (light aroma to strong) (no allergen consideration). If we try to control allergen it will require us to wash the blender atlest 5 to 6 times during production (Which i guess not preferable during production because of dry food industry). Also we have 5 blenders in one big room, so we wil need to think about controling dust. Please Please Please guide me how to deal with such case.... Is there any felxibility in SQF..?????? We do mention on the lable that it produced in facility which mixes (all four allergen name). Will that save us in SQF?????

KT

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

BUMP for Kruti.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

I also work in the dry food industry, and it sounds like there are quite a few similarities with our companies. We too run many products a day (25+ production lines) Dust is managed by vacuum systems and room segregation (walls and partition curtains). We try to use scheduling to run products containing the same allergens in a consecutive fashion to keep extensive cleaning to a minimum.

When a non-allergen product is run after an allergen containing product a wet wash is done, and protein swabs which are designed to detect the presence of certain allergens are used to ensure that the product surfaces are allergen-free.

I can't tell you how a SQF auditor will react to any given situation since I've yet to experience a SQF audit, but I'm hoping that proper storage (segregation of allergens from non-allergen ingredients), well written and documented SSOP's, and solid PRP's and GMP's will be enough to satisfy the auditor.

Good luck!

Thanked by 3 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

Dear kruti,

We do mention on the lable that it produced in facility which mixes (all four allergen name). Will that save us in SQF?????

Interesting question.

I'm not in USA but would hv expected that SQF would follow a (any) local/national regulatory requirement as far as labelling is concerned. Is the option referred above a response to a FDA requirement or ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

kruti

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:18 AM

Hi charles,

Frankly telling i do not know FDA labeling requiment. But i have small question for esquef. When you change over from allergen to non allergen, do you change the aprons? or it is not required? And what about packaging? is that same applies to packaging?

Thanks

KT

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and i saw that i can get help from number of experienced peoples here. Currently i am struggling with allergen control. We are manufacturer of dry ingredient (indian cusines, instant mixes). We wanted to go for SQF. The big problem for us is allergen. We have a huge variety of producst and we use 4 allergens in facility. Due to size and business of the company we mix number of different products in one day (sometimes 10 to 15 different produts). Currently whole mixing is done with ribbon blenders and we line up our production by product color (light to dark product) and compatibility (light aroma to strong) (no allergen consideration). If we try to control allergen it will require us to wash the blender atlest 5 to 6 times during production (Which i guess not preferable during production because of dry food industry). Also we have 5 blenders in one big room, so we wil need to think about controling dust. Please Please Please guide me how to deal with such case.... Is there any felxibility in SQF..?????? We do mention on the lable that it produced in facility which mixes (all four allergen name). Will that save us in SQF?????

KT

Hi Kruti,

You will need to address these requirements:

SQF 6.13 Allergen Control
6.13.1.1 The responsibility and methods used to control allergens and to prevent sources of allergens from contaminating product shall be documented and implemented.
6.13.2.1 Those raw materials that contain allergen causing agents shall identify through a risk analysis and
included on a list which is accessible by relevant staff.
6.13.2.2 The hazards associated with allergens and their control shall be incorporated into the Food Safety Plan.
6.13.3 Receiving and Storing Raw Materials - Instructions on how to identify, handle store and segregate raw materials containing allergen causing agents shall provided to staff responsible for receiving those target raw materials.
6.13.4 Storing Product Containing Allergen Causing Agents - Provision shall be made to clearly identify and segregate foods that contain allergen causing agents.
6.13.5 Sanitation of Processing Area and Equipment
6.13.5.1 Cleaning and sanitation of product contact surfaces between line changeovers shall be effective and sufficient to remove all potential allergens from product contact surfaces, including aerosols, to prevent cross contamination.
6.13.5.2 Verification of the effectiveness of the cleaning and sanitation of areas and equipment in which allergen causing agents are used shall be part of the requirements outlined in 6.7.2.2.
Note: The practice of dedicating sanitation equipment for cleaning of areas and equipment used for the manufacture of allergen containing product is recommended to minimize cross contamination.
6.13.5.3 Separate handling and production equipment shall be utilized where satisfactory line hygiene and cleanup or segregation is not possible.
6.13.6 Batch Identification and Trace
6.13.6.1 The product identification system (see 4.6.1) shall make provision for clear identification and labelling (in
accordance with regulatory requirements) of those products produced on production lines and equipment on which foods containing allergen causing agents were manufactured.
6.13.6.2 The product trace system (see 4.6.2) shall take into consideration the conditions under which allergen containing foods are manufactured and ensure full trace back of all ingredients used.
6.13.7 Re-working Product Containing Allergen Causing Agents
6.13.7.1 Re-working of product containing allergen causing agents shall be conducted under conditions that ensure product safety and integrity is maintained. Re-worked product containing allergen causing agents shall be clearly identified and traceable.

Mentioning your potential allergens (that you may have contaminated the product with) on the label doesn't mean that you are compliant.

Regards,

Tony

kruti

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

Hi Tony,

Thanks for my answer. I was looking for this kind of specific answer.

Regards

KT............

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users