• Quick Navigation
Photo

Food duration - How long do vegetables last?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Diegol

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Chile
    Chile

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Hi!
I´m working as a consultant in a bakery, implementing HACCP in Chile. This bakery shares its foodstore with 2 more restaurant, and the bakery provide them with they bakery needs. The thing is that I don´t know the duration of all the vegetable that is stored: tomatos, onions, parsley, etc. (they use them in a number of diferents breads) and I don´t trust the expires dates that the supplier estimates, and there is no way to change it. Could anyone help me please, I need to know references of how much do the diferent vegetables last.
Thanks!

Jomy Abraham

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 40 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

The attachment may be useful..
another web site is http://www.sparkpeop...les.asp?id=1153

Regards
Jomy Abraham

Hi!
I´m working as a consultant in a bakery, implementing HACCP in Chile. This bakery shares its foodstore with 2 more restaurant, and the bakery provide them with they bakery needs. The thing is that I don´t know the duration of all the vegetable that is stored: tomatos, onions, parsley, etc. (they use them in a number of diferents breads) and I don´t trust the expires dates that the supplier estimates, and there is no way to change it. Could anyone help me please, I need to know references of how much do the diferent vegetables last.
Thanks!

Thanked by 2 Members:

Antores

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 63 thanks
Good

• Colombia
    Colombia
  • Interests:Photograpy

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

Hello,

The shelf life of vegetables varies depending of different intrinsic factors (the properties of the vegetables itself) and extrinsic factors (such as temperature, atmosphere, and humidity). Whith this said, there are several resources that list the average shelf life of fruits and vegetable under proper storage condition.

You can look for instance in the product market guide link below. Look under handling for temperature, humidity and typical shelf life:

http://producemarketguide.com/commodity_info/

Now, if you want more information on how to keep your vegetables as fresh as possible, you can visit this site from UC Davis University to learn more about other issues that can affect the life of vegetables (such as ethylene) and se compatibility charts to know what fruits and vegetables can be stored together.

http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/Producefacts/index.shtml

Now, my recommendation for a HAACP plan, more than focus on expiration date, you need to focus on temperature control, vendor management (safety condition under which those vegetables are grown) and control of cross contamination.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users