• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hello Everyone,

Currently i am working on preparing finished product specification. We produce dry instant mix powder like pancake, cup cakes, seasoning, gravy mix.
In our finished product testing we just test product by cooking it. No other test is performed than that. I was wondering how can i wrinte cooking test in finished product specificaiton?

May be like

Color: Creamy
taste: according to standard
appearance: according to standard.

But if i write like this, what will be the standard. We do not cook control sample with the finished sample. So how do i compare with standard?

Please give me correct word (apart from accoding to standards) that i can use or small guidance.

Regards
Dave

Edited by DAVE84, 03 March 2011 - 05:41 PM.

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

Dhaval,

There are several ways to put together a Finished Product Specification without using a control. We reference a Laboratory Method for organoleptic criteria and physical properties (density, smell, taste, texture, etc.), and additional critera that the customer requests such as specific gravity, height of a baked product (in a specific sized/shaped pan at given baking conditions); basically anything the customer wants us to do to ensure that the product meets their specifications/expectations.

A more time consuming and costly way of ensuring that a finished product meets customer expectations is to utilize a pre-ship system where you wsend them a sample and they prepare and determine whether it meets their requirements.

Another way is to store enough retain of the previous batch that met customer requirements and use that as a comparative control.

I'm sure thyat there are more ideas out there, but these are several ways to accomplish your goal of meeting your customer's quality expectations and having meaningful Finished Product Specifications. Just ask them which method works best for them.

Regards,
esquef

Thanked by 3 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

Dear Dave,

Please give me correct word (apart from according to standards) that i can use or small guidance.

IMEX The product specification is supposed to inform what the standard is ! (Unless an agreed reference standard already exists [somewhere]}

eg Cooked Product
Physical Characteristics
etc etc as per all the templates here

So how do you currently decide if the colour, appearance, taste etc are OK ?? :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

DAVE84

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Sorry to say but
Currently it goes on QA tech experience and Management Experience

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

Hello Everyone,

Currently i am working on preparing finished product specification. We produce dry instant mix powder like pancake, cup cakes, seasoning, gravy mix.
In our finished product testing we just test product by cooking it. No other test is performed than that. I was wondering how can i wrinte cooking test in finished product specificaiton?

May be like

Color: Creamy
taste: according to standard
appearance: according to standard.

But if i write like this, what will be the standard. We do not cook control sample with the finished sample. So how do i compare with standard?

Please give me correct word (apart from accoding to standards) that i can use or small guidance.

Regards
Dave

For colour you can use a colour chart such as RHS. For taste and appearance I would normally use a description of good, acceptable and unacceptable with some photos for the appearance & colour.

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

DAVE84

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

Thanks a lot tony.....

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

Hi Dave 84,

It is important to have Microbiological limits of the finished products as part of your product specifications. You can also include packaging etc in addition to physical and chemical chracteristics.

Regards

Ajay Shah

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

To DAVE84:

You can also add in the "shelf-life" as well as the "recommended storage condition".

Yong

Naamfon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 83 posts
  • 49 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand
  • Interests:Searching , Finding & learning new knowledge, create good friends, Travel , share good thing , eat and eating.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

Nice advised !Posted Image

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users