Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

Source: http://www.foodquali...g_Surfaces.html

Researchers to Develop Self-Sanitizing Surfaces

Scientists at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst have recently received a four-year, $488,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agriculture and Food Research Initiative (AFRI) to create a “self-sanitizing” top layer for food processing surfaces such as counters and conveyors. A team led by Julie Goddard, PhD, assistant professor of food science at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, reported that halamine-infused surfaces could achieve a 5-log reduction for a number of organisms relevant to food quality, including Listeria and E. coli. “When you modify the surface of food processing materials, like some plastics and stainless steels, you can introduce halamine into just the surface layer,” Dr. Goddard said in an interview with Food Quality. “Halamine complexes chlorine very strongly, so every time you rinse the surface with bleach, it recharges the layer’s existing antimicrobial power. “

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

Hi Zeeshan,

There has been work conducted on Bacterial Activities of selected organic N - Halamines back in 1987. Halamines are not accepted in many countries.

I hope the following article is of interest to you.

http://www.foodtechs...g/009/trend.htm

Regards

Ajay

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

It sounds as a good solution for the surfaces that are not in direct contact with food. ( (hard to reach equipment areas where Listeria is hiding) Posted Image
Dear Ajay, I can't see where it's stated that halamines are forbidden Posted Image
why they're more dangerous than other chlorine disinfectants used for disinfection in food industry?

Edited by Inesa, 17 March 2011 - 06:33 PM.

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

D-D

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 239 posts
  • 55 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

Interesting.
I used to work in non-stick / anti-microbial coatings for medical devices and with that in mind I wonder if technologies such as silver impregnated surfaces could be (have been) considered in the food area? I also know of a company that was mimicking the pattern of shark skin as a microscopic texture that reduced adhesion of proteins and cells (that's why sharks don't get barnacles - apparently...!).

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users