Silviapa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hello Everybody,
Right now, I am updating a "metal detector checking of accuracy SOP" for a meat processing plant. The previous procedure that this plant had only consisted on running 3 test samples (Ferrous, Non Ferrous and Inox) every hour. I have my doubts with this procedure.
First, I think that the every test sample should be inserted into a product. In that way, we will know if the metal detector can reject that product. Is it right? What do you think?
Second, I think that every hour is overkilling. I've read online that the verification tests should include start up and at least every two hours or scheduled at break times, if appropriate. What do you suggest?
Please, I appreciate if someone can help me with this doubts or can provide me an example of "metal detector checking of accuracy procedure".
Kindest regards,
Silvia

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

Dear Silviapa,

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Regarding the first question in yr post, there are 2 long discussions here on this aspect. The later one is here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__42547

and contains a link to the earlier one (similar length) inside it.

The second question/answer rather depends on yr actual situation (eg product, failure rate?) and/or how much of a (corrective action) gambler you are :smile: ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Silviapa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

Thanks so much for your soon response Charles. Now, I have a much better idea.

Another quick question. The metal detector that I have is a THS model (manufacturer: eia). Does anyone know who can provide a calibration or maintenance service on this equipment? We are in Illinois.

Thanks,

Silvia

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 94 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

Is the man'f 'eia' or 'ceia'? Ceia is an Italian brand with US offices. www.ceia-usa.com will get you a corp address and phone number. They should be able to help you find a local contact...

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:07 AM

First, I think that the every test sample should be inserted into a product. In that way, we will know if the metal detector can reject that product. Is it right? What do you think?

Not necessarily so but I would like to share with you that for a "ferrous contaminant the orientation effects to trigger the "magnetic field" is very good when on its horizontal axis BUT is very poor when on vertical axis position. (it works on the reverse for "Non-Ferrous"). Therefore, the uncertainty in metal detection is a very common problem and cannot be relied upon. You may want to consider these issues when conducting metal detector re-calibration.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

It is also important to get your metal detector calibrated by the supplier who commisioned the machine at leat every year as the phase and sensitivity will change over time.

What Charles Chew has mentioned is a valid point.

I have implemented procedures where one has to check the metal detector at the start of the operation for Ferrous, Non Ferrous and Stainless Steel pieces supplied by the manufacturer and every two hours to ensure that the metal detector is performing as it should do.

i hope this helps.

Cheers

Ajay Shah

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:10 PM

Hi silviapa,

In one plant, testing of the metal pieces was conducted every thirty minutes.

Why so often? Production volume was over a thousand units per hour. It was decided that if the pieces failed (which occasionally occurred), it was easier to re-test 500 units rather than 1,000 or 2,000.

So I guess you could say, your production volume and the quality of your metal detector will determine how often you test the metal pieces.

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:50 AM

Also, a good read: http://haccpfood.blo...pliance+Blog%29

Good Article JAKMQA.

Cheers

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:08 AM

It is also important to get your metal detector calibrated by the supplier who commisioned the machine at leat every year as the phase and sensitivity will change over time.

I agree, however, I disagree that it has to be the supplier who commissioned the machine; as long as its serviced by a competent company that should suffice.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users