• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

Dear Great members;

One of selection in our menu is the green salad , and to prepare the green salad as every one awrae is to wash and sanitize the vegetables such as cucumber and capsicum , what I am looking for is to minimize the risk of growing the harm bacteria such as E.coli which is might come from the water it self , so in this score I want to is drying the vegetables can play basic role in reducing the contamination ? if it yes what are the best methoda to be followed for drying the vegetables ?

Thanks & Regards
Hygienic

Feel Good

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

I think, passing vegetables/salads (after slicing and bunching) through hot air tunnel having moist heat at 110 degree C say just for 10 feet length / 1 minute passage time is good enough. At the end shrink wrapping shall be done. Use at least zero bacteria water for washing.
From India <qlifeindia19@rediffmail.com>

Dear Great members;

One of selection in our menu is the green salad , and to prepare the green salad as every one awrae is to wash and sanitize the vegetables such as cucumber and capsicum , what I am looking for is to minimize the risk of growing the harm bacteria such as E.coli which is might come from the water it self , so in this score I want to is drying the vegetables can play basic role in reducing the contamination ? if it yes what are the best methoda to be followed for drying the vegetables ?

Thanks & Regards
Hygienic

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,915 posts
  • 738 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

I think, passing vegetables/salads (after slicing and bunching) through hot air tunnel having moist heat at 110 degree C say just for 10 feet length / 1 minute passage time is good enough. At the end shrink wrapping shall be done. Use at least zero bacteria water for washing.
From India <qlifeindia19@rediffmail.com>

I think if you did that you'd have some very limp salad! In a domestic kitchen you'd use a salad spinner:

Posted Image

You can also get industrial versions of these which can be electrical or manual. Just doing a google search, here are some options:

http://www.foodprepw...ex-lettuce.html

To control the E coli, you could use chlorine in the wash, I've also heard of organic acids e.g. acetic acid being used (be careful using if you intend to use chlorine as well as you might kill your employees with the chlorine gas!)

VicCherikoff

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

Dear Great members;

One of selection in our menu is the green salad , and to prepare the green salad as everyone is aware is to wash and sanitize the vegetables such as cucumber and capsicum , what I am looking for is to minimize the risk of growing the harmful bacteria such as E.coli which might come from the water it self . So in this score I want to know, can drying the vegetables play a basic role in reducing the contamination ? if it yes what are the best method to be followed for drying the vegetables ?

Thanks & Regards
Hygienic

The easiest and safest way to end up with safe greens is to make up a 1% solution of Herbal-Active, a natural antimicrobial we make from culinary herb extracts. See this website. Dip and drain your fresh produce and the microbial load will be near zero. No need to rinse if your water quality is suspect.

Cheers,
Vic

Attached Files

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users