Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

I am a technical consultant assisting a donner and chicken kebab manufacturing company in achieving BRC certification to the Global Food Standard. The company manufacture raw frozen donner and chicken kebabs and also cooked donner and chicken kebab meat. They therefore have a segregated high care area for slicing and packing the cooked products, so the process involves the raw kebabs being placed into the oven on the low risk side and then removed in the high care side.

However, they have now introduced a new process where the raw frozen kebab cones are cooked on rotary spits in the high care area, and the meat is sliced off the cone as it cooks, which is the traditional way of cooking and serving donner kebab meat.

My concern here is the issue of the frozen raw kebabs being taken into the high care area. I would value opinions on whether this would be seen as acceptable practice according to the BRC clause requirements for high care area procedures.

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

Dear Skye,

I have some questions about this new process:
- Do they reheat the product after slicing?
- Ho do they make sure the only slice cooked meat?
- How do they guarentee the core temperature of the product?
- How and where do they pack the product?
- is it a fresh (chilled) or a frozen finished product?

Edited by Madam A. D-tor, 06 June 2011 - 03:31 PM.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

It may be the traditional method but I've heard of EHO's requesting the meat is cooked again after slicing due to the PP's comments; you can't guarantee that raw meat 'juices' aren't basting the cooked meat anyway and that's before you get into the question of high risk / low risk barriers!

I think ultimately this process is wrong even if you could find a way to do it without compromising your segregation.

I'd be interested to see their HACCP meeting where this was discussed prior to implementation!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Muhammed Jafar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

ya...your right GMO.

Jafar

zagortenej

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:52 AM

Dear Skye,

I have some questions about this new process:
- Do they reheat the product after slicing?
- Ho do they make sure the only slice cooked meat?
- How do they guarentee the core temperature of the product?
- How and where do they pack the product?
- is it a fresh (chilled) or a frozen finished product?

I have similar situation in one factory. I need to develop HACCP plan for production of kebab.

They make raw kebab, they freeze it, put on vertical rotating stick for cocking with gas burners. they slice every layer after cocking, put in refrigerator to 4 C, than pack in 200g packaging and freeze every packaging to -18 C. Before consumption you need to heat product in oven or in pan

I can't measure core temperature in kebab on cocking because layer is too thin. I measure temperature on surface of kebab with laser temperature gun and it's above 80 C.

My question is does this process have CCP/CP and how to measure?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 288 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 June 2022 - 08:47 AM

I also think the risks are different for cooking this traditional way in your own household/restaurant where it is eating straight away.
Versus making a ready to heat (?) traditionally sliced kebab in which the micro-organisms have time to grow after slicing.

You are also introducing raw meat into your high care zone. Of which you can be a 100% certain that you will eventually will be dragging in salmonella/listeria.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users