Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

1 to 2 years ago, one of my friend told me a story of a woman who went boating, taking with her some cans of soft drinks which she put into the refrigerator of the boat. She was taken to the hospital and placed in the Intensive Care Unit but she died the very next day. Tests and investigation showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine. Like many other people I spread this story to many others but recently got the real story and back-end truth (See http://www.hoax-slay...s-soda-can.html).

I posted this issue on this forum because of two reasons.

1- To highlight that we should seriously realize that spreading unconfirmed stories is a "big ethical crime". Sorry to all from my side to whom I spread this story. I will try to re-send them the correct information.

2- Our company is producing retort-processed ready-to-eat meals. Primary packaging is flexible four layers intact pouch. This is further packed in duplex (paper box) individually. Before secondary packaging the pouches are kept hold for certain period of time for testing and inspection till final release. My question is that whether there is any generic food safety or legal requirement to print such an information on the packaging of ready to eat meals that the primary packaging should be properly washed before opening. We are ensuring the food safety of the content of pouch and safety of the outer surfaces of the pouch at maximum but we are not sure how the pouch is handled and treated before opening at the consumer end. Since the product is not re-heated to minimum safe temperature, there would be a chance of contamination while opening and pouring the re-heated meal into the plate. In that case the product would not reach to the consumer as safe product.

Waiting for some valuable inputs:

Regards:
M.Zeeshan

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:49 AM

We are ensuring the food safety of the content of pouch and safety of the outer surfaces of the pouch at maximum but we are not sure how the pouch is handled and treated before opening at the consumer end.

Hi Zeeshan, As a food processor, you have done your part as far as safe food integrity is concerned and your role in the "farm to fork food chain" concept. The integrity of end products throughout the entire food chain would depend entirely on how committed the private and regulatory commitment of that country is to public health. You should start worrying about food defense system instead. Intentional product sabotage is some thing more worrisome than leptospirosis.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users