- - - - -

jimc52

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

I need to know how to write a food quality manual. Is there a template, a list of things to check off? This whole thing seems overwhelming. I need something to follow or show me how. Thank you

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:02 AM

Dear jimc52,

Does the manual hv a specific objective, eg to be audited for ???. It is relevant.

The obvious "quality" answer is something like ISO 9001 but I'm sure you know that already.

The details will depend on yr product/process etc.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

obura

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:13 AM

I need to know how to write a food quality manual. Is there a template, a list of things to check off? This whole thing seems overwhelming. I need something to follow or show me how. Thank you

Dear Jimc52,
you can also use the standard(ISO 9001) to guide you in writing the manual..but this will entirely depend on your production process.

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

Hi Jim,

What standard are you writing the manual to? I found that for BRC I used the BRC Global Standard as a starting point. I developed my Quality Manual from that, and then the other manuals came from that ( SOPS, records, PRP etc...) I basically started at Section 1 and designed the manual in the same way as the standard so the auditor sits with both and they are pretty much the same layout.

If you need templates I can give you some but if it's not BRC they may not be of use to you... SOPs Records and stuff can be take from what you are using already and just formatted so that everything ties in together.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

imadoughguy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Building Redemptive Relationships, Self Improvement, Cars, Fishing, Home Improvement, Serving Others and Seeing Positively Impacted People in my Wake. :-)

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:18 PM

Jim,

"trubertq" hit the nail square on the head. Determine what standard you are going to get audited by (BRC, SQF, AIB or whatever) and use their audit procedures as a guide. Copy and paste works wonders when trying to comply with an audit requirement. It's hard for an auditor to argue with verbiage taken directly from their standards, of course you will need to add content relevant to your operation.
In my opinion, a QA manual should read much like a string of policy statements... just give the 30,000 ft view of what you do, leave the details to the written SOP's. The QA manual should be simple enough so any potential customer could read it and get a good idea of your QA program goals.

Say what you do, do what you say, prove it! :-)

Good Luck,
Phil

SpiceGenius

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

As a template I used one of my own supplier's and modified it with requirements from SQF2000.

AlexK

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

I am using the following method for writing Quality Manuals for purpose of ISO 9001:2008 compliant QMS:

0. identify which standard(s) are applicable to your Quality Management System;

1. copy/paste the Standard(s) requirements into a doc file,

2. replace "Company shall" with "<your company name> does" throughout the pasted text,

3. for each "does" provide a reference to Quality Procedure(s), where responsibility for this standard requirement will be assigned to appropriate personnel;

4. to create a Quality Procedure: copy/paste the section the Quality Manual, replace "<your company name does" with "it is the responsibility of <position title"> and leave the assigned personnel to exercise their responsibility.

That way you will have a lean, comprehensive and mistake-proof Quality Manual, which will help you to address the standard requirements to responsible parties within your Company.

Then you may want to use the Quality Procedures as a reference for internal quality audits to verify that the assigned responsibilities are exercised in a way, which is effective, efficient and appropriate for the purpose of your Company.

AlexK

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

...eventually: you will need to define Scope, Exclusions, Quality Policy and draw a model of your "process-based QMS" in the Manual.
Also it may be a good idea to include an updated Organizational Chart with names and titles in the Manual and attach trends and values for quantitative Quality Objectives.

J Young

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:49 AM

Hi Jim,

What standard are you writing the manual to? I found that for BRC I used the BRC Global Standard as a starting point. I developed my Quality Manual from that, and then the other manuals came from that ( SOPS, records, PRP etc...) I basically started at Section 1 and designed the manual in the same way as the standard so the auditor sits with both and they are pretty much the same layout.

If you need templates I can give you some but if it's not BRC they may not be of use to you... SOPs Records and stuff can be take from what you are using already and just formatted so that everything ties in together.

trubertq, i am looking into the transition to BRC and would be grateful for any templates which might help - point me in the right direction from someone with working knowledge. many thanks

imadoughguy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Building Redemptive Relationships, Self Improvement, Cars, Fishing, Home Improvement, Serving Others and Seeing Positively Impacted People in my Wake. :-)

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

I am using the following method for writing Quality Manuals for purpose of ISO 9001:2008 compliant QMS:

0. identify which standard(s) are applicable to your Quality Management System;

1. copy/paste the Standard(s) requirements into a doc file,

2. replace "Company shall" with "<your company name> does" throughout the pasted text,

3. for each "does" provide a reference to Quality Procedure(s), where responsibility for this standard requirement will be assigned to appropriate personnel;

4. to create a Quality Procedure: copy/paste the section the Quality Manual, replace "<your company name does" with "it is the responsibility of <position title"> and leave the assigned personnel to exercise their responsibility.

That way you will have a lean, comprehensive and mistake-proof Quality Manual, which will help you to address the standard requirements to responsible parties within your Company.

Then you may want to use the Quality Procedures as a reference for internal quality audits to verify that the assigned responsibilities are exercised in a way, which is effective, efficient and appropriate for the purpose of your Company.

Alex,

Great job explaining the procedure.
Wow, you really have a talent for this... can you come work for me? :-)
Phil
Orlando FL

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users