• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hello All

In an effort to apply sone science to our rapeseed oil quality and also goose fat, does anyone have working experience with these materials?

I am possibly looking for a peroxide test for the rapeseed oil to judge oxidative rancidity? Any advice on what kit to use for this? Also some advice on shelf life and reuse of goose fat or oil once recovered from an enrobing vat and what microbiological factors to consider.

Thanks in advance!

DP2006

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

Hi ads78,

As a new member, this is my first post so here is hoping the format etc looks OK!

Over the last 30 years in the food and petfood industry I have worked on oils and fats on many projects for my employees at the time and also for different clients through my own technical consultancy. This includes development of "Best Practice" on rancidity in petfoods. Oils and fats covered in this includes vegetable oils and animal of the types you are interested in controlling oxidative rancidity.

You are right in thinking that peroxide value (PV) will help you judge rapeseed oil quality. There are standard approved methods for this and you can buy automatice titrators to help eliminate some errors in this test.

Unfortunately, PV only gives you part of the picture and can be missleading ....if you have a "High" PV then you know you have a problem, if the value is "Low" then you might have a problem or might not! This test measures "intermediates" that go on to give the nasty materials that make a fat taste bad and can make you or the animal eating it ill.

There are many other tests eg TBA, Anisidine Value etc, that will give you a more complete picture but these are more complex and require additional equipment. Depending on your needs you might think about using an external accredited lab for these measurements.

Combination of PV and organoleptic testing ie smell might be enough for your purposes but I don't know your products so can't say more at this stage.

Shelf life depends on many factors eg antioxidants, temperature, handling etc so it is not possible to give guidelines without more information. Microbiological risks will also depend on a number of factors.

As a new member of IFSQN, I am not sure how you can contact me to discuss this further. However, as I am based over the border in Leicestershire maybe there are some ways you might do this!

Good luck and I look forward to more discussion on this!
David

Hello All

In an effort to apply sone science to our rapeseed oil quality and also goose fat, does anyone have working experience with these materials?

I am possibly looking for a peroxide test for the rapeseed oil to judge oxidative rancidity? Any advice on what kit to use for this? Also some advice on shelf life and reuse of goose fat or oil once recovered from an enrobing vat and what microbiological factors to consider.

Thanks in advance!

Thanked by 1 Member:

ads78

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. If it is the case that our product is overtly rancid by the time it reaches end of life, is it possible to buy rapeseed oil with added antioxidants?

DP2006

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. If it is the case that our product is overtly rancid by the time it reaches end of life, is it possible to buy rapeseed oil with added antioxidants?

ads78,

You should be able to buy rapeseed oil with added antioxidants. You might need to look around at different suppliers depending on the volumes you use.

Clearly there will be an on-cost associated with this. I would strongly recommend that, in addition to the antioxidant option, you first look at the quality specifications of the oil and also review your storage and usage. It could be that, depending on other factors eg oil quality ex-supplier and how you use and store the oil that antioxidant addition will not completely solve your problem.

Almost certainly I would recommend that you specify antioxidant addition but I would strongly recommend that you look at these other areas first (specification and storage / usage).

I will send a PM to you to discuss this further.

Thanks
David

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users