• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to make a complaint against an auditor assessment?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Hello all

After reading the post by Saltsafety whose issue was " audit duration and revisitis" an old thought came into my mind.
I wonder if some of you have experience in complaining against an auditor assessment, I mean, a formal complaint. I wonder what is more effective, addresing the CB or go directly to BRC organization?

I am sure that many of you have gone through an audit where the final impression was that the auditor did not know your process deeply. AT this point you can do at least two things: let him/her go and make the complaints afterwards or try, try and try to explain him/her all the scientific studies,again and again, losing time, energy and faith on how good is to get an certifiction!

I really would like to hear these kind of experiences from you, the experienced people!

Simon, I am not sure if this is the appropiate section to post this question. Please, in case you move it let me know. Thank you so much.

Regards

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

It's fine here Esther.

In the first instance I would complain to the CB and if you do not get a satisfactory response then the BRC would be my next port of call.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

MKRMS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 31 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland
  • Interests:Food microbiology and related fields: conservation, cooking, cooling, re-heating, storage<br />HACCP and food safety management in in small and medium sized businesses<br />EU and international food legislation<br />Food Standards

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:33 AM

Yes, Simon, ... after raising a formal complaint with the auditor first and giving him/her the opportunity to explain, of course. If no satisfactory response to your complaint can be got from the auditor, it is time for the first step of escalation:complain to the CB and request a re-audit (by a different auditor) if necessary.

I would be surprised if BRC do not have a formalised complaints procedure in place...

Matt

MKRMS Food Safety - Be on the FOOD SAFE side!
http://www.mkrms.com

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

If you complain to the CB, the CB will ask the auditor and will try to solve the issue with you. Probably this auditor will never be sent to you again. If the auditor is employed with the CB, heshe may be provided by extra training. If the auditor is a freelancer, he/she will get a remark at the supplier evaluation of the CB.
If you complain to the BRC, the CB and specialy the auditor will be investigated. This can lead to disqualification of the auditor, disqualification of the CB and even to declare all audits by this auditor as invalid.

IFS case: one specific retailer is complaining to the IFS, if they find other non-conformities during a supplier audit. Even if this audit is 9 months later. The auditor has to justify the differences. The auditor will have to conduct a wittness audit, which is wittnessed by IFS.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

Hello all

Thank ypou for all your comments.

MAdam A. Dtor, sorry but I did not understand very well what you meant with your IFS case ¿ was it a real case or you are talking in general? If it was a reak case, could you specify the complaint and how this case ended?

I would lke to share a case that happened to me. An auditor was asking for salmonella analysis from a canned product!!!! I could not believe that! I think that he had not realizad that the product was a canned one.He did not even ask for the validation study. Finally I had to explain to him about the salmonella, canned products bla,bla,bla...but my first thought was: out, I want another auditor.

Any other experience alike?

Regards
Esther

Thanked by 1 Member:

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

I would lke to share a case that happened to me. An auditor was asking for salmonella analysis from a canned product!!!! I could not believe that! I think that he had not realizad that the product was a canned one.He did not even ask for the validation study. Finally I had to explain to him about the salmonella, canned products bla,bla,bla...but my first thought was: out, I want another auditor.

Any other experience alike?

Well I have heard from an auditor asking for microbiological sample taking of steam, where steam was used directly.

MAdam A. Dtor, sorry but I did not understand very well what you meant with your IFS case ¿ was it a real case or you are talking in general? If it was a reak case, could you specify the complaint and how this case ended?

It is a general issue. One German retailer will complaint to the IFS, when they find other non-conformities during their supplier audit. There are several cases known. One involved my own CB.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Koko LMQ

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

Yes, if there is a complaint from interest party to any certificatiion, the certification body shall sort this out first and respond to. If you still do not accept, you can raise to standard owner. For BRC, you can see the details of complaint procedure in the protocol in the standard. Next phrase, client can verify the qualification of auditor used for audit via BRC Directory.

NY

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users