Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

Dear All,

Not my personal area however I came across this thesis describing a model implementation of a HACCP system for production of labels for water bottles. A zero-CCP result.

No revolutionary content I guess, but the review/description seemed quite readable to me and maybe useful for entrants into packaging. (There are several packaging HACCP plans for higher risk scenarios already within this forum of course).

Attached File  thesis, packaging,non-food contact label, implem. haccp system.pdf   1.65MB   87 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,913 posts
  • 733 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

A non food contact label requires a HACCP plan?

Thinking about it though, it's not likely for the label but there was a recent news story about recycled card and the mineral oil content going through inner packaging (e.g. thinking of a cereal box migrating from the cardboard container through the plastic liner into some cereal).

http://www.scienceda...10615094431.htm

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

Dear GMO,

A non food contact label requires a HACCP plan?

Yes, i realised there is a certain amount of incongruity involved but the topic happened to trigger a memory of people using (uncontrolled) marker pens to write sizes / expiry dates on plastic bags (primary packaging) of RTE product. Subsequently the bags broke en-route due to sub-standard plastic. Net result embarrassing. :smile:

Yr link is interesting (as is the journal itself). In fact another adjacent link on recycled board packaging (20007) was quite foreboding also -

http://www.scienceda...71128113022.htm

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:24 AM

Dear GMO and Charles C,

I have read about this topic too in Dutch literature.
I believe there were at least 2 recalls regarding this issue: for Kellogs cereals and for Knorr Taco's.

Here is a link to the original article from the Swiss researchers: http://www.springerl...xw/fulltext.pdf

We never thought about other risks from paper and carton then moulds. So this was an eye opener to me and to a lot of other peoples. Now every one wants to use virgin materials for packing materials instead of recycled.
I still can remember that fish and vegetables were wrapped in old newspapers.

A company of non-direct carton packaging material for bakeries (pie cartons) once did a withdrawal on the products, because the cartons were smelling. The carton producer used recycled milk cartons in the carton for the pie cartons.

The use of recycled plastics is getting bigger. I already found meat packings (direct contact) from recycled plastic.
Does anybody know the risks?

Edited by Madam A. D-tor, 29 July 2011 - 01:48 PM.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,913 posts
  • 733 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

Fish and chips used to be served in old newspaper in the UK! I'm sure the fat leached out the mineral oils from the inks a treat Posted Image

Still, if you were born before the 1980's you will have had no back seats in cars (let alone child seats), artificial everything in your food (love that MSG, what's wrong with Quinoline yellow?) BSE in your beef, Salmonellae in your eggs...

It's astonishing we all survived!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

Fish and chips used to be served in old newspaper in the UK! I'm sure the fat leached out the mineral oils from the inks a treat Posted Image

Still, if you were born before the 1980's you will have had no back seats in cars (let alone child seats), artificial everything in your food (love that MSG, what's wrong with Quinoline yellow?) BSE in your beef, Salmonellae in your eggs...

It's astonishing we all survived!

:clap: HaHahaha! You are totally right.
But then: my father could not afford a car, until I was12 and we only used it to visit my grand parents and to go on holidays. Now I am using the car even to do the groceries, which is only a 5 minutes walk. Beef was not daily on the menu and Chinese food always gave me a head ache some way. ;)

Have a nice weekend. :bye:

Edited by Madam A. D-tor, 29 July 2011 - 08:13 PM.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:21 AM

Dear GMO and Charles C,

I have read about this topic too in Dutch literature.
I believe there were at least 2 recalls regarding this issue: for Kellogs cereals and for Knorr Taco's.

Here is a link to the original article from the Swiss researchers: http://www.springerl...xw/fulltext.pdf

We never thought about other risks from paper and carton then moulds. So this was an eye opener to me and to a lot of other peoples. Now every one wants to use virgin materials for packing materials instead of recycled.
I still can remember that fish and vegetables were wrapped in old newspapers.

A company of non-direct carton packaging material for bakeries (pie cartons) once did a withdrawal on the products, because the cartons were smelling. The carton producer used recycled milk cartons in the carton for the pie cartons.

The use of recycled plastics is getting bigger. I already found meat packings (direct contact) from recycled plastic.
Does anybody know the risks?

Dear Madam A. D-tor,

I haven´t read it yet, just found it. Hope it helps!

http://www.fda.gov/F...g/ucm120762.htm

Regards,

FSSM

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users