Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

We are currently doing plant Audits once a month. We are going for our SQF 2000 certification and I was wondering what everyone else in the food industry does for plant self audits of their own facility? Do you do it weekly or monthly and why? Trying to figure out which would be better for documenting purposes, and giving time to repair the corrective actions that would be found in the audit.

Thanks in advance!

Konstantinos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

It is all relevant and ιt depends on the type of the audit, area and process. You should risk assess the area/process taking into account history and background and act accordingly.
i.e
- GMP audits every week,
- Glass/plastic every month,
- Fabrication at least once every six months but it is getting changed now with the new BRC version 6,
- General Internal audits according to the schedule but the areas covered have been previously risk assessed and results from previous audits taken into account,
- HACCP verification audits, at least once every 2-3 months,
- Training department once a year,
- Mock recall once a year,
- Maintenance once a year,
Crisis incidents, recalls, withdrawals, and or other provocative actions that have put your product/process/company at risk lead to immediate reviews/audits (considering the action has been taken)

Quality and Safety go together, do not try to separate them!

dl1888

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

We are a Egg processing facility. The audit I was wondering about was our plant audit. Making sure things are being done inside our plant. Sanitation (making sure records are current), lighting in good repair, restrooms clean, eye wash station working, mouse traps in working order, perimeters clean, etc... Alot of monitoring of our logs we have in processing.

Thanks for the response!

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

We are a Egg processing facility. The audit I was wondering about was our plant audit. Making sure things are being done inside our plant. Sanitation (making sure records are current), lighting in good repair, restrooms clean, eye wash station working, mouse traps in working order, perimeters clean, etc... Alot of monitoring of our logs we have in processing.

Thanks for the response!

How large is your facility?
I break down our facilities into four areas. One area gets inspected each week on a rotating schedule so that the entire facility, including outside grounds, is inspected once per month. This allows for a more in depth inspection.

Marshall

dl1888

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

we are a small scale operation. have just under a million laying hens. Currently we have it so once a month we cover all of our areas that need auditing. Is this alright to do, or does SQF like to see it done weekly? Just trying to figure out if I should continue to do it once a month so I give my corrective actions 30 days to get fixed or if I should do it weekly and give myself less time to get areas that need fixing fixed?

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

we are a small scale operation. have just under a million laying hens. Currently we have it so once a month we cover all of our areas that need auditing. Is this alright to do, or does SQF like to see it done weekly? Just trying to figure out if I should continue to do it once a month so I give my corrective actions 30 days to get fixed or if I should do it weekly and give myself less time to get areas that need fixing fixed?

SQF does not specify frequency of internal audits. It really all depends on you and your facility. If you can thoroughly inspect the entire facility in one day, then once a month is fine.
If you want to divide the facility into areas and just do one area a week, that's fine too, as long as the entire facility is inspected within the month.

It's really your call.

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:22 AM

I totally agree with the comments above by mgourley. If the site is large then it easier to tackle section by section otherwise it is an ardous process and one will not perform well in condusting the audit. also it is important if you have several trained internal auditors who can then audit different sections to their areas to get a better representation of the audit proces.

Cheers

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

kmk

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

I am a QA for an egg processing plant. I have my SQF code sections broken down into monthly, quarterly and yearly internal audits, depending on the risk and past history of compliance. I conduct the internal audits myself and one auditor did not like that fact, but it's hard to find someone from another department with the knowledge to conduct the audit and the code says "if possible". I think that you will find conducting the audit more than monthly will be overwhelming and probably not necessary. That doesn't mean you can't walk through the processing plant and make observations and chat with folks and give the supervisor feedback on what you're seeing. Write your internal audit to the code and you will have it broken down into sections of your plant.

Hope this helps

Thanked by 1 Member:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

I am a QA for an egg processing plant. I have my SQF code sections broken down into monthly, quarterly and yearly internal audits, depending on the risk and past history of compliance. I conduct the internal audits myself and one auditor did not like that fact, but it's hard to find someone from another department with the knowledge to conduct the audit and the code says "if possible". I think that you will find conducting the audit more than monthly will be overwhelming and probably not necessary. That doesn't mean you can't walk through the processing plant and make observations and chat with folks and give the supervisor feedback on what you're seeing. Write your internal audit to the code and you will have it broken down into sections of your plant.

Hope this helps

I think the OP was talking about GMP/Food Safety/Sanitation audits (inspections).
I certainly agree that you don't need to audit the "code" more than monthly.

Marshall

Katja

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hope this helps

Hello, we are newly certified SQF and until now have had internal audits done by an outside company. I have spread out the code over a year so that several points are done a month so that the entire code is completed once a year. It has been discussed by management that to do a more in depth and effective audit we should;d spread it out over a three year period. I routinely audit our HACCP plans but this cannot be included as I am the practitioner and cannot audit my own procedures and plans under SQF. As an experienced SQF practitioner do you think auditors will go for this if it is based on risk and history. We would do the HACCP plans annually as it is basic to food safety but things that do not change much such as management policy, management responsibility and section 4.2 could be done only once every 2 years. It doesn't say that it must be done in entirety within one year just that it must be done in entirety .
any advice would be useful

Thanked by 1 Member:

kmk

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Katja, While the SQF code states "regular basis" I'm not sure that an auditor would accept less frequency than a year. Audits are done annually so my auditors have expected to see my internal audits done within this time frame. So, I complete an internal audit of every code item at least one time per year, some are done monthly, some done quarterly and some done annually (including my HACCP plan reveiw). Of course the auditors have aslo told me that you should decide how you are going to meet the code and then must show the auditor that you are following what you say you are doing. I am also in an industry that does not change technology very quickly but having a HACCP team meeting one time per year gives everyone a chance to think through the process flow and talk through any challenges of meeting any CCP's, CP's, QCP's or QP's.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users